Where will Jeff Green peak?

Not Much [Jason Collins]
Role Player [Leandro Barbosa]
Role Player-Starter [Courtney Lee]
Solid Starter [Last year's Brandon Bass]
Fringe All-Star [This year's Paul Pierce]
Perennial All-Star [Rajon Rondo]
Franchise Player [2003 Paul Pierce]

Author Topic: Jeff Green's Future  (Read 6935 times)

Re: Jeff Green's Future
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Offense running through Green? This means he gets mad touches every night and is the go-to guy?
I honestly think he's obviously average more points, which may get him playing differently. He's never been the #1 option on a team consistently. He averages 15-16 points in OKC as a third/fourth option out of position.

I think they could easily be a nice seed...maybe 6th, depending on who's around him.

That seems reasonable. I don't know if that would ever be any GM's plan though.

I disagree strongly. Jeff Green has never shown any kind of ability to lead an offense, and since his minutes have started predominantly coming at the 3, he hasn't put 3 good games in a row together since joining the Celtics.

It would take a special kind of crazy (in a GM or coach) to allow yourself to be put in a position where you're relying on Jeff Green to be your first option on offense. And, one would assume, it would be the type of crazy that will quickly find its self unemployed.

it's just a hypothetical. relax.

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Is anyone else thinking that "CelticConcourse" and "kgainez" is the same guy? lol

no because kgainez is a lady :)
secondly, I apologize that I happen to be ok with Jeff's game. Could he use improvement? Absolutely! But I've come to terms that Jeff is not Paul, LeBron, Deng or whomever. He's Jeff.

And I promise you. Once you accept that, this season will be much easier.
I spent the first 20 or so games of the season just like you. Hating Jeff.

I don't hate Green, it's just frustrating to watch him play. I more angry at Ainge giving him that contract than Green for his play. To me Green is what he is at this point.

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Is anyone else thinking that "CelticConcourse" and "kgainez" is the same guy? lol

secondly, I apologize that I happen to be ok with Jeff's game. Could he use improvement? Absolutely! But I've come to terms that Jeff is not Paul, LeBron, Deng or whomever. He's Jeff.

I don't hate Green, it's just frustrating to watch him play. I more angry at Ainge giving him that contract than Green for his play. To me Green is what he is at this point.

I can't get too angry at Danny, because I think that contract is still very movable, and while Green is frustrating to watch, signing him, actually gave the team more flexibility by preserving that salary spot to upgrade via trade. 

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

And this is the problem with a lot of people.
We don't pay Green. We just watch him play. So get over his contract.
Yes. I agree. It can be frustrating to watch him play, just like it's frustrating to see Rondo pass out when he has a layup or when Paul goes 3-15 and airballs his last three.
What are you saying to me? Because of his large contract, he ain't gon be (crap)? lol That makes 0 sense.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:37:24 PM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

I can't get too angry at Danny, because I think that contract is still very movable, and while Green is frustrating to watch, signing him, actually gave the team more flexibility by preserving that salary spot to upgrade via trade.

I don't think its untradable, but I just don't think 4 yrs 36 was necessary

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I don't think its untradable, but I just don't think 4 yrs 36 was necessary

same thing ppl said about Rondo's contract

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

Yes. I agree. It can be frustrating to watch him play, just like it's frustrating to see Rondo pass out when he has a layup or when Paul goes 3-15 and airballs his last three.
What are you saying to me? Because of his large contract, he ain't gon be (crap)? lol That makes 0 sense.

Actually I am kinda paying since I go to games and watch the games helping tv ratings. And I'm gonna care about the money bc I care about the future of the team. So I think that theory makes no sense. And yes Green is a million times more frustrating to watch than Rondo and Pierce.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Actually I am kinda paying since I go to games and watch the games helping tv ratings. And I'm gonna care about the money bc I care about the future of the team. So I think that theory makes no sense. And yes Green is a million times more frustrating to watch than Rondo and Pierce.

His so-called unaggressiveness is actually his ability to scan the floor better than anyone not named Rajon Rondo or Kevin Garnett.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I voted for solid starter. I disagree that last year's Brandon Bass qualifies as that though.

I think the voting misses two steps in average starter + above average starter in between the solid starter (below average but capable) and borderline All-Star. I would've voted for Green in one of those categories instead of solid starter if available.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

His so-called unaggressiveness is actually his ability to scan the floor better than anyone not named Rajon Rondo or Kevin Garnett.

What on earth is this claim based upon?

If Green had this ability, wouldn't it translate on the court somehow?  Perhaps he'd have a really good assist-to-turnover ratio, or he'd be extremely efficient.  Something other than a nonsense claim?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I think that, if he works hard, Jeff Green has a puncher's chance at being the next James Posey. i.e. he will be a career role player who perhaps will find himself in a lineup next to a couple of superstars for a year or two in which he will look, statistically, like a top-20 SF.

Overall, if he keeps working on his outside shot, he can stick in the league as a solid defender and scorer off the bench, i.e. what he is about half the time right now. After this contract is up, he will manage to get $5 million or so from somebody.

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

$300/$400 for Season tickets? Gosh! That's so much of his salary!! I, too, care about the future. And I do my part by viewing and voting. I don't pay the guys, though.

Green is not a million times more frustrating to watch, mainly because he doesn't get half the play or touches Paul/Rondo gets.

You just feel so entitled to his contract. I want to know what you want from Jeff Green. I don't think he will be developed behind Paul Pierce. His growth is certainly stunted right now. He had no development in OKC -- he was fresh out of college, they were trying to put things together.

He needs the proper attention. I'd like if he did some things in the off season with maybe James Worthy or worked out with another NBA star to get some development. Everyone has this idea of what they want him to be and put no effort into making him that. He's raw talent. Doc also doesn't seem like a raw talent developer kind of guy.

Just like a vocalist has raw talent and sounds good, they still need vocal training to be better. I feel like Jeff has never had that. Just been a raw talent type of guy.

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 04:53:45 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I've never heard unaggressiveness spun that way before.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I've never heard unaggressiveness spun that way before.

Can't wait to hear what people think about his inaccurate jump shot. Is it because he's distracted by all the potential jump shots he could be taking?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

$300/$400 for Season tickets? Gosh! That's so much of his salary!! I, too, care about the future. And I do my part by viewing and voting. I don't pay the guys, though.

Green is not a million times more frustrating to watch, mainly because he doesn't get half the play or touches Paul/Rondo gets.

You just feel so entitled to his contract. I want to know what you want from Jeff Green. I don't think he will be developed behind Paul Pierce. His growth is certainly stunted right now. He had no development in OKC -- he was fresh out of college, they were trying to put things together.

He needs the proper attention. I'd like if he did some things in the off season with maybe James Worthy or worked out with another NBA star to get some development. Everyone has this idea of what they want him to be and put no effort into making him that. He's raw talent. Doc also doesn't seem like a raw talent developer kind of guy.

Just like a vocalist has raw talent and sounds good, they still need vocal training to be better. I feel like Jeff has never had that. Just been a raw talent type of guy.

You might be my god?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"