Where will Jeff Green peak?

Not Much [Jason Collins]
Role Player [Leandro Barbosa]
Role Player-Starter [Courtney Lee]
Solid Starter [Last year's Brandon Bass]
Fringe All-Star [This year's Paul Pierce]
Perennial All-Star [Rajon Rondo]
Franchise Player [2003 Paul Pierce]

Author Topic: Jeff Green's Future  (Read 6928 times)

Re: Jeff Green's Future
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
As much as I want him to be in that fringe all-star/all-star range, I just don't see it happening. I'll take him all day as a solid starting small forward though.

I think that's what most of us think.

Are you including yourself in that "us"?  I was under the impression you saw Green as a 20 ppg all-star.

I've got no objection to people who think Green can be a 15 point, 6 rebound player in 36 minutes per night.  That's what he's always been.

I just get queasy when people suggest that Green is suddenly going to take the leap to an all-star caliber player.
]

I see him as a 20/6/6 guy at his best and as good as Carmelo Anthony.. if played right. Which he can't be... unless he's the best SF on the team.

I can't stand Carmelo and think he's very overrated. But you just insulted the heck out of him.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
As much as I want him to be in that fringe all-star/all-star range, I just don't see it happening. I'll take him all day as a solid starting small forward though.

Are you including yourself in that "us"?  I was under the impression you saw Green as a 20 ppg all-star.

I've got no objection to people who think Green can be a 15 point, 6 rebound player in 36 minutes per night.  That's what he's always been.

I just get queasy when people suggest that Green is suddenly going to take the leap to an all-star caliber player.

I see him as a 20/6/6 guy at his best and as good as Carmelo Anthony.. if played right. Which he can't be... unless he's the best SF on the team.

Yeah, there's where you lose me.

The 20 points is high, but whatever.  I suppose in some bizarro world, Green could find his aggressive and increase his scoring output by about 25%.

The real objection is to the 6 assists (that will *never* happen), or the Carmelo-like play.  I can't see either of these as a projection based in any type of reality.

The 20 points is likely when he's a focal point of the offense... SFs are usually focal points too, so that should work for him. He has the ability.

6 rebounds, he's been getting his whole career.

The 6 assists, I'm saying, is because if he has the ball in his hands, he can get assists. When you guys think he looks lost/unaggressive, I think he's scanning the court for options. He just holds the ball at the high post or to the side and finds the right man, typically. Six is certainly a stretch, maybe four is a better number. But he's certainly not "lost".

He's got the capability to play up to Carmelo...

How many wins do you think a team can get with the offense running through Green?

A third seed possibly. He's a better version of Paul George!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
When you guys think he looks lost/unaggressive, I think he's scanning the court for options.

He needs to work on scanning more quickly and decisively, then.  :P

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
If Jeff Green is ever our leader, we can be a Pacers-esque team for sure...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
When you guys think he looks lost/unaggressive, I think he's scanning the court for options.

That, I must agree with you. He burns 6 seconds before he decides he wants to pull-up, pass, or post-up.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jeff Green is going to make someone super-duper happy in 3 years as a 8th man. Think Randy Foye, but as a 3/4.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

agree with both points

I'd like to say Jeff can be a role player/starter
As a starter, he's averaged between 15-16ppg. I don't see how this is a bad thing.
I think what people want to change is the way he makes his shots. If they were all dunks or even all 3s, no one would have a problem with Jeffrey.

And he rarely gets double digit points without getting double digit FGA. Play him more. Give him more touches -- CONSISTENTLY!!

Let Jeff be Jeff and stop trying to make him PP 2.0.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

The 20 points is high, but whatever.  I suppose in some bizarro world, Green could find his aggressive and increase his scoring output by about 25%.

The real objection is to the 6 assists (that will *never* happen), or the Carmelo-like play.  I can't see either of these as a projection based in any type of reality.

The 20 points is likely when he's a focal point of the offense... SFs are usually focal points too, so that should work for him. He has the ability.

The 6 assists, I'm saying, is because if he has the ball in his hands, he can get assists. When you guys think he looks lost/unaggressive, I think he's scanning the court for options. He just holds the ball at the high post or to the side and finds the right man, typically. Six is certainly a stretch, maybe four is a better number. But he's certainly not "lost".

How many wins do you think a team can get with the offense running through Green?

A third seed possibly. He's a better version of Paul George!

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

agree with both points

I'd like to say Jeff can be a role player/starter
As a starter, he's averaged between 15-16ppg. I don't see how this is a bad thing.
I think what people want to change is the way he makes his shots. If they were all dunks or even all 3s, no one would have a problem with Jeffrey.

And he rarely gets double digit points without getting double digit FGA. Play him more. Give him more touches -- CONSISTENTLY!!

Let Jeff be Jeff and stop trying to make him PP 2.0.

This. This! THIS!!!!!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Offense running through Green? This means he gets mad touches every night and is the go-to guy?
I honestly think he's obviously average more points, which may get him playing differently. He's never been the #1 option on a team consistently. He averages 15-16 points in OKC as a third/fourth option out of position.

I think they could easily be a nice seed...maybe 6th, depending on who's around him.

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Offense running through Green? This means he gets mad touches every night and is the go-to guy?
I honestly think he's obviously average more points, which may get him playing differently. He's never been the #1 option on a team consistently. He averages 15-16 points in OKC as a third/fourth option out of position.

I think they could easily be a nice seed...maybe 6th, depending on who's around him.

That seems reasonable. I don't know if that would ever be any GM's plan though.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Is anyone else thinking that "CelticConcourse" and "kgainez" is the same guy? lol

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I disagree strongly. Jeff Green has never shown any kind of ability to lead an offense, and since his minutes have started predominantly coming at the 3, he hasn't put 3 good games in a row together since joining the Celtics.

It would take a special kind of crazy (in a GM or coach) to allow yourself to be put in a position where you're relying on Jeff Green to be your first option on offense. And, one would assume, it would be the type of crazy that will quickly find its self unemployed.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Is anyone else thinking that "CelticConcourse" and "kgainez" is the same guy? lol

no because kgainez is a lady :)
secondly, I apologize that I happen to be ok with Jeff's game. Could he use improvement? Absolutely! But I've come to terms that Jeff is not Paul, LeBron, Deng or whomever. He's Jeff.

And I promise you. Once you accept that, this season will be much easier.
I spent the first 20 or so games of the season just like you. Hating Jeff.

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I disagree strongly. Jeff Green has never shown any kind of ability to lead an offense, and since his minutes have started predominantly coming at the 3, he hasn't put 3 good games in a row together since joining the Celtics.

It would take a special kind of crazy (in a GM or coach) to allow yourself to be put in a position where you're relying on Jeff Green to be your first option on offense. And, one would assume, it would be the type of crazy that will quickly find its self unemployed.

If anything, he should be the second- or third-option after Rondo (first) and Sully/Bradley (second)..

AKA, about as much usage as Garnett.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]