Author Topic: Boston/Phoenix/LA  (Read 4442 times)

Boston/Phoenix/LA
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I usually don't post trades because I don't really know what other teams are looking for, whether it is to win now, players on longer contracts who are going to be around awhile, or dumping salary.  However in this case I think I know what the Lakers are interested in doing but still not totally sure about the Suns. 

Here it is; Celtics acquire Marcin Gortat (who has been rumored to have been shopped and gives us a legitimate big who isn't locked in for several years so we can rebuild,)  Celtics send Bass and Terry who are all but expendable these days to LAL.

LAL acquire Bass to give them a big who can hit those elbow jumpers Gasol has been struggling with.  LAL are also reportedly looking for someone to stretch the floor and Terry fits that bill.  LAL also acquire Beasley from Phoenix to give them more scoring.

Phoenix acquires Gasol.  They shed Beasley and get a legit scoring big that isn't too long of a contract.  The could try to trade him in the off season or build something around him.

This works on the trade machine because the Suns have 6mil in cap space.

Re: Boston/Phoenix/LA
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wouldnt happen, but it would be a trade that is more that A ok with me.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
Just to finish that trade thought off, we could take back another 4mil in trade but I didn't know who on either team the Celtics might be interested in receiving.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell

Wouldn't happen because which team says "no".  Everyone seems to get what they want unless Phoenix really doesn't want Gasol.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Wouldn't happen because which team says "no".  Everyone seems to get what they want unless Phoenix really doesn't want Gasol.

LA. They can get better for Gasol than the Celtics expendables and a headcase from Phoeniz who hardly plays anymore. If they are getting rid of Gasol they wont want to take as much money back as that Im assuming, unless they are getting a Franchise type borderline all star player.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell

LA. They can get better for Gasol than the Celtics expendables and a headcase from Phoeniz who hardly plays anymore. If they are getting rid of Gasol they wont want to take as much money back as that Im assuming, unless they are getting a Franchise type borderline all star player.

Well... he has bad knees, one of the worst contracts in the NBA, and is coming off the bench for a sub .500 team.  I don't think LA is getting a superstar back for Gasol.

They literally couldn't GIVE Gasol to another team in the NBA.  In my opinion you are way overestimating his worth.

LA is shedding some payroll but if payroll flexibility is what they want, the Celtics could just keep Terry and the deal still works.  Doesn't solve LA's outside shooting needs though.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:02:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Well... he has bad knees, one of the worst contracts in the NBA, and is coming off the bench for a sub .500 team.  I don't think LA is getting a superstar back for Gasol.

They literally couldn't GIVE Gasol to another team in the NBA.  In my opinion you are way overestimating his worth.

LA is shedding some payroll but if payroll flexibility is what they want, the Celtics could just keep Terry and the deal still works.  Doesn't solve LA's outside shooting needs though.

So if they "couldn't give him away" why would the Suns trade away their more promising younger center for him?

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

You're calling Bass and Terry "expendables" yet Bass was a very solid starter for the celtics up through the eastern conference finals last season and Terry was probably the 3rd best player on the championship Mavs team a couple seasons ago.

Just because they are players who don't fit into or have a vital role on their current team rosters doesn't mean they are bad/undesirable players.  Look at Gortat when he was on Orlando or Asik when he was on Chicago.  They were "expendable" but doesn't mean they were bad players.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell

So if they "couldn't give him away" why would the Suns trade away their more promising younger center for him?

That might be the first time promising and young have been used to describe Gortat this season.  But the rumors were that the Suns were interested in dealing Gortat.  I don't know whether he just doesn't like it there, they don't like him, or he doesn't fit their style but in no way would I say Gortat is better than Gasol.

What I said was they couldn't give Gasol away.  And literally, they can't.  No team can take his 19mil salary and very few would want it.  Any team that takes Gasol is going to have to unload at least one bad contract and possibly as many as two or three bad contracts to get him.

Bass, while not nearly the player Gasol is, is healthier and more importantly really seems to fit what they want from their PF.  That elbow to top of the key jumper is what Bass knocks down better than anyone in the league (or so the Cavs announcers said last night, he is like 48% on that shot).  He is a good one on one defender and no so great on help defense.  From what I can tell D'antoni doesn't really run a defensive system so that is a plus, and he hits free throws really well for a big. 

The Lakers also want a guy who stretches the floor.  Terry fits that perfectly.

Personally I doubt they get anything else from Phoenix better than Beasley and his contract but maybe picks shift hands too.

I was thinking if anyone doesn't do it, it is the Suns who don't want a creaky Gasol and another year of $19mil of salary.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Why would we go for Gortat if we could get Pau Gasol?

I would much rather have Pau Gasol.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

We can't get Gasol back for just Bass and Terry because salaries don't match, whereas they do if we take Gortat.

Bass and Terry is quite a bit for Gortat.  That by itself would be a good trade for Pho.  But OK, maybe Boston does this thinking that Bradley and Lee make Terry "expendable" and Gortat is a better fit than Bass.

The second half would then be Bass, Terry, and Beasley for Gasol.  I think LAL does this in a heartbeat.  I am not sure that Pho wouldn't rather try to trade off Bass and Terry separately to Win-Now teams that would be willing to trade younger players vs taking back Gasol (although that would not help them get rid of Beasley).

This is an interesting trade but I tend to agree with the opinion that Pho probably doesn't want Gasol (although that doesn't mean they don't want Bass and Terry).

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

We can't get Gasol back for just Bass and Terry because salaries don't match, whereas they do if we take Gortat.

Throw in Jeff Green or Courtney Lee + a small salary as a makeweight and get Pau Gasol.

Bass and Terry is quite a bit for Gortat.  That by itself would be a good trade for Pho.  But OK, maybe Boston does this thinking that Bradley and Lee make Terry "expendable" and Gortat is a better fit than Bass.

The second half would then be Bass, Terry, and Beasley for Gasol.  I think LAL does this in a heartbeat.  I am not sure that Pho wouldn't rather try to trade off Bass and Terry separately to Win-Now teams that would be willing to trade younger players vs taking back Gasol (although that would not help them get rid of Beasley).

This is an interesting trade but I tend to agree with the opinion that Pho probably doesn't want Gasol (although that doesn't mean they don't want Bass and Terry).

I think Phoenix would be interested in taking on Pau Gasol. They haven't wanted to commit to a fully blown rebuilding process. Their GM or front office execs, whoever it was, has already talked about how many teams have struggled to build through the draft and how they are wary of that strategy (this was late last season).

I think a star player like Pau Gasol for a solid starting center like Gortat would be an attractive proposition for the Suns.

On the other hand, I don't think Phoenix would have any interest in giving up Gortat at the cost of taking on Brandon Bass' + Jason Terry's contracts.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:44 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Throw in Jeff Green or Courtney Lee + a small salary as a makeweight and get Pau Gasol.

So Green + Terry + Bass for Gasol or Lee + Salary + Bass + Terry for Gasol?  That is way too much for Gassed-ol, at least in my opinion.  He has looked horrible lately and I am not sure he will ever get it back.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

So Green + Terry + Bass for Gasol or Lee + Salary + Bass + Terry for Gasol?  That is way too much for Gassed-ol, at least in my opinion.  He has looked horrible lately and I am not sure he will ever get it back.

Fair enough.

I still have a lot of confidence in Pau Gasol and feel he can get back to a similar level to where he was 2+ years ago if he is moved to a good situation like Boston ... so I would be delighted to get Pau at the price of either one of those trade packages.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I don't know why people think Gasol is valued so high.

He has a ridiculous contract for 2 years, he's on the wrong side of 30, he has been injured a bunch, hasn't played well, seems to have a fragile mental capacity and the Lakers are doing terrible at the moment and have a ton of money tied up.

Either they keep Gasol or they get pennies on the dollar.