Author Topic: Celtics trumph card: Pierce and Green on the wing  (Read 2924 times)

Celtics trumph card: Pierce and Green on the wing
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Kill small ball once and for all. Jeff Green with starters is option that needs to explored. It gives the Celtics major advantage with their size. As two of better post players on the Celtics, Pierce/Green size would cause matchup problems for opposing teams advantage Celtics. Post them up, and play on from there. 

Rondo/Lee
Green/Avery
Pierce/Green
Bass/Sully
Garnett/Melo

Re: Celtics trumph card: Pierce and Green on the wing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Would give us upper hand on offense. I will say Jeff isn't bad at back smaller guys in. But defense ehhh I am just not sure. Feel like Green could get in foul trouble quickly trying to guard a quick SG.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
It's a really good idea, but I don't like Bradley coming off the bench. I'd want him to set the tone early.

Then again, he can simply intensify the game at any point with his pressure anyway...

Either way, I would really like to see Green start.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jeff Green cant guard 2 guards. Pierce probably has better luck (and more favorable matchups), but I really hate the idea of Pierce guarding the quicker slashing 2s. Smells like a massacre.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:18:26 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Yeah, I'm not seeing this as a fix. Maybe in small stretches depending on the match ups, but not an every day thing.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
We're one of the few teams in the league without an explosive, young SG (or maybe that's Bradley/Lee)....

Pierce would get murdered.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This Pierce would get torched by young SGs is completely overblown, and dare I say, inaccurate.

Pierce can keep up with players just fine. He might give up the occasional 3, but that's about it. Chances are Pierce would get the dude in foul trouble anyways.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Jeff Green cant guard 2 guards. Pierce probably has better luck (and more favorable matchups), but I really hate the idea of Pierce guarding the quicker slashing 2s. Smells like a massacre.

So same as what has been happening. Guards been killing Celtics the whole year. Might as well we use our advantages and go at them with size. Theoretically it would work fine in the playoffs. Top tier in the East don't have Small quick guards.

Losing Pietrus hurts Celtics than given credit for. Its true if either one is in foul trouble, Celtics are in a world of hurt. I'm sure Ainge can find adequate third string small forward.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Gotta go with the opposite on this one.  Pierce can guard an Evan Turner, Joe Johnson, probably Kobe Bryant but Green is better suited to play the 2 at this point in Paul's career.  I've noticed Green guarding the SG more often when they're in there together (we saw this matchup more two years ago).  He's simply much, much faster than Pierce.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Gotta go with the opposite on this one.  Pierce can guard an Evan Turner, Joe Johnson, probably Kobe Bryant but Green is better suited to play the 2 at this point in Paul's career.  I've noticed Green guarding the SG more often when they're in there together (we saw this matchup more two years ago).  He's simply much, much faster than Pierce.

I agree. Playoffs Celtics likely opponents have at the 2 Joe Johnson, Shumpert, Paul George, Rip Hamilton...without a doubt Green can guard them all. And the one against Miami, Green was better guarding Wade than Lebron. Wade can't bully Green like he does most undersized shooting guards he faces daily.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
If Paul George can guard 2's so can Green.

Then just dump the ball in the post to Green.

Maybe not start but id like to see Green get more min and this should be a way.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Huh?  Paul George is an elite defender, Green is passable at best.  I am not sure how they are comparable. 

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Huh?  Paul George is an elite defender, Green is passable at best.  I am not sure how they are comparable.

I got nothing....

But I do think Green would be capable of guarding a lot of 2's in the league

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I got nothing....

But I do think Green would be capable of guarding a lot of 2's in the league

Oh, sure.  I think Green can guard 2's nearly as well as he can guard 3's.  I just don't think he is a very good defender at either position unfortunately.

The problem with Green, isn't so much his one on one defense.  He can face up on most wings.  The problem is, when he is off the ball, he is constantly caught out of position in the team defense.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think either could defend SGs on a consistent basis.

I understand the thought here, but we've got four legit SGs on the roster already.  Is Green going to add more to our lineup than Bradley or Lee (or even Terry or Barbosa)?

I'm not against it for a few plays here and there, if we're trying to create a mismatch (i.e., an offense only possession where we post Green against a smaller SG defender).  However, as a serious strategy to be used for long stretches, I think it's flawed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes