Author Topic: Comparing the Clippers offseason to the Celtics  (Read 941 times)

Comparing the Clippers offseason to the Celtics
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Not really a J.A. Adande fan, but reading this today I found upsetting as a Celtics fan.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8865497/nba-los-angeles-clippers-offseason-paying-off

This article should be written about the Celtics. On paper, we all thought DA hit a homerun this offseason. Proven clutch scorer in Terry. Extending versatile swingman Jeff Green. Bringing Bass back. Drafting two rookies with promise. Thinking all options were exhausted then somehow bringing in Courtney Lee.

Now I look at this and I see, 2 almost immovable pieces signed to 3 year deals (Terry & Bass) 1 immovable 4 year contract (Jeff Green) and 28 Million dollars worth of Courtney Lee.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but looking at the league right now, how different is the scope of the NBA in both the East and the West this season if DA's first call is to Jamal Crawford and not Jason Terry?

Re: Comparing the Clippers offseason to the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:14:24 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We'd be better with Crawford instead of Terry, no doubt.

But Crawford isn't going to defend the rim or grab rebounds, and that's the biggest problem for this team.

Better question is what this team would be like if they had Odom and Turiaf backing up Sullinger and KG.  Rather than Bass, Collins, and Wilcox as the only big man compliments to KG / Sully.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:38 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Crawford shoots about the same as Terry... we'd be complaining about him just the same. And I doubt he'd be putting his offensive output in our system.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:40:04 AM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Crawford shoots about the same as Terry... we'd be complaining about him just the same. And I doubt he'd be putting his offensive output in our system.

You think? I think his ability to score is so much higher than anyone else on this roster.
Also, his ability to handle the ball so far outstrips Terry's it's funny.

We'd be better with Crawford instead of Terry, no doubt.

But Crawford isn't going to defend the rim or grab rebounds, and that's the biggest problem for this team.

Better question is what this team would be like if they had Odom and Turiaf backing up Sullinger and KG.  Rather than Bass, Collins, and Wilcox as the only big man compliments to KG / Sully.

I think you can't sign Odom because ideally Jeff Green is supposed to be that stretch 4. I like the toughness of a Ronny Turiaf, something this team needs, but there's a reason he's a minimum contract player. (Also, Wilcox, Green, Turiaf... We'd need to start playing our games at the Cleveland Clinic)

I still see offense as the biggest struggle for this team. Pierce can still get you points against good defense but the consistency is not there. Jamal Crawford, at least gives you a 4th quarter scorer.