Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127418 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #420 on: March 31, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
This is a random thought, but I'll present it anyways:

When KG returns, I hope Doc runs PnPs for Jeff with one of KG/Pierce/Bass.  Jeff is a great finisher around the basket, and the other three can shoot well, so I think it would be effective.  Green might not be the best passer, but if the defense collapses on him, I'd trust him to make the right play.

true. I'd actually like to see more pick and rolls on this team and us utilizing the roll man. it seems to happen once in a blue moon smh.

« Reply #421 on: April 01, 2013, 04:46:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This is a random thought, but I'll present it anyways:

When KG returns, I hope Doc runs PnPs for Jeff with one of KG/Pierce/Bass.  Jeff is a great finisher around the basket, and the other three can shoot well, so I think it would be effective.  Green might not be the best passer, but if the defense collapses on him, I'd trust him to make the right play.

I would like to see more pick and rolls with Jeff Green as the roll man rather than the ball-handler when Boston go small with J.Green at PF. So much space for him to exploit. I think he could be quite dangerous there if he worked on that part of his game.

« Reply #422 on: April 01, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
as usual, you miss the point of the value of Kendrick Perkins - and calling 2011 a probable championship is hardly a "gross overstatement." we were leading the East at the time and rolling.
I suppose this is the argument which claims that trading Perkins robbed us of some purported "toughness" (sorry I have to put words in your mouth, but you don't seem interested in explaining yourself further). Except this argument patently falls short when faced with the evidence that we were pretty much the same team that season with and without Perkins.

I guess there are still people that can't come to grips with the fact that the early exit from the 2011 playoffs had nothing to do with trading Perkins, and everything to do with Shaq being made of pressed sugar at that stage of his career. Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:41:58 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #423 on: April 01, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
After having read through the entire thread, I'm going to attempt to solve Jeff Green:

Green is a talented basketball player.  This cannot be denied.  He's a great athlete, has a decent post game, can shoot well from the outside (especially in the corner), can finish around the basket, and is an above-average perimeter defender.  The only real issues in his game are rebounding (biggest issue; a guy with his size and athleticism should be grabbing more boards), passing (not great, but not horrible either), and post defense (not that big of an issue).

As far as skill goes, Green has many tools that work to his advantage.  He's a high-level backup and a serviceable starter.  His contract is finally starting to make sense based on recent production.

What's really going to determine Green's future (that is, where he ranks among opposing SFs) is his mentality.  As I've stated above, we know Green has all the tools to be good, it's going to come down to whether he until see them properly.  It's been noted that Green's production has remained at the same level throughout his entire career, and that he's been known to be passive.  These two points direct us to the thinking that "Green is what he is."  That's certainly true, but, to play devil's advocate, Green has a) never had the opportunity to play SF full-time (he's played with Durant and Pierce) and b) never been asked to be a #1 option.

It could be argued that those two points are at the crux of Green's lack of aggression.  He's had to defer to players better than him, thus taking away the opportunity for him to score.

That's one way to look at it.  I tend to disagree.

In my opinion, Green is best-suited as a third or fourth option on a good team (title contender).  I think his lack of aggression has more to do with his style of play (finishes plays, rather than initiates them).  Green excels when he plays with others who can create for him.  Another way to spin that is Green excels when there are other threats (aka players better than him) on the floor that the opposition has to pay attention to.  When Green isn't pressured to be a #1 scorer, that's when he shines brightest.

So, where does this place Green among other SFs?

LeBron and Durant are head and shoulders above all.  Carmelo is next.

This is where is gets tough.  There are plenty of guys who are around the same level, and then there are up-and-comers.  Let's take a look:

Pierce, George, Deng, Gay, Granger (when healthy), and Iguodala are all around the same level.  Then, you've got guys like Green, Prince, C. Butler, Marion, Wallace, Gallinari, Chandler, and Kirilenko who all provide skills that are valuable.  Finally, you've got the young guys like Leonard, Parsons, J. Butler, Kidd-Gilchrist, Barnes, and Aminu who all show promise as players.

In my opinion, Green will be top-10 without question.  However, he'll be closer to 10 than 5 in my rankings.

« Reply #424 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
It's tough to say where Green will rank among small forwards in the future because he simply hasn't matched up against starting small forwards much in his career.  It's a whole another business offensively to go up against guys who can match Green's size and athleticism.  This is where his lack of a tight handle comes into play, although it's gotten better and he seemingly breaks out a new move every game.  Against the Knicks he pulled off a sweet semi-crossover going right to left and finished with a nice left handed layup, something he's gone to more and more lately. 

« Reply #425 on: April 01, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Green excels when he plays with others who can create for him.  Another way to spin that is Green excels when there are other threats (aka players better than him) on the floor that the opposition has to pay attention to.
Yes and no. I don't think Green excels in situations when "others create for him", mostly because his game is nonexistent unless the ball is in his hands.

On the other hand, he absolutely excels when he's not the main threat, as he is able to put a tremendous amount of points on the board while the opposition is paying attention to said main threat(s).

That's not necessarily bad, and there will be games when Green will carry the entire team on his back -- it's just not going to happen night in and night out the way it has been with Pierce for 10+ years now. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to get Green for 9 million a year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #426 on: April 01, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
as usual, you miss the point of the value of Kendrick Perkins - and calling 2011 a probable championship is hardly a "gross overstatement." we were leading the East at the time and rolling.

Please refrain from disrespecting others opinions.  If you have a question, please report a thread instead of escalating things by retaliating in kind.

thirsty - my comment was about basketball - I did not personally attack anyone. i'll certainly follow the rules, but this is getting to the point of not even being able to debate basketball opinions, like the fact that I thought Kendrick Perkins has more value to this Celtics team than other posters do. isn't that kind of the point of a discussion bulletin board ?

This thread is about Jeff.

It's tough to say where Green will rank among small forwards in the future because he simply hasn't matched up against starting small forwards much in his career.  It's a whole another business offensively to go up against guys who can match Green's size and athleticism.  This is where his lack of a tight handle comes into play, although it's gotten better and he seemingly breaks out a new move every game.  Against the Knicks he pulled off a sweet semi-crossover going right to left and finished with a nice left handed layup, something he's gone to more and more lately. 

I agree. Jury is still out, since he's been behind HOF SFs for every year in his career, thus far.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #427 on: April 01, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Green excels when he plays with others who can create for him.  Another way to spin that is Green excels when there are other threats (aka players better than him) on the floor that the opposition has to pay attention to.
Yes and no. I don't think Green excels in situations when "others create for him", mostly because his game is nonexistent unless the ball is in his hands.

On the other hand, he absolutely excels when he's not the main threat, as he is able to put a tremendous amount of points on the board while the opposition is paying attention to said main threat(s).

That's not necessarily bad, and there will be games when Green will carry the entire team on his back -- it's just not going to happen night in and night out the way it has been with Pierce for 10+ years now. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to get Green for 9 million a year.

Green's a pretty good spot up shooter, I don't think it's true that his game is nonexistent when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.

« Reply #428 on: April 01, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Green's a pretty good spot up shooter, I don't think it's true that his game is nonexistent when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.

He's very good at attacking the rim, and learning the ways of the step-back from Pierce (and back when he was at OKC, he learned from KD's game)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #429 on: April 03, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I might be re-booting this thread, but I don't know how this kid can be ignored, even if the sample size is insufficient.

I can't believe he's becoming the clutch-threepoint shooter he is becoming. This is beyond what I hope for...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #430 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
not to mention he's avging 22.5 for his 11 starts, which would put him at 8th in the league.

i know we try to 'get' this guy and categorize him, but it's no way we can say he can't be a #1 or #2 option on the right team.

and I think he and Rondo will create lots of magic. Dude will get wide open lanes to the rim.

« Reply #431 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
not to mention he's avging 22.5 for his 11 starts, which would put him at 8th in the league.

and I think he and Rondo will create lots of magic. Dude will get wide open lanes to the rim.

nope, Rondo is the reason the guy never got the ball...ROndo was standing around warching the world go by dribbling the seconds of the clock.

Doc and More ROndo will kill the team.

« Reply #432 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

i know we try to 'get' this guy and categorize him, but it's no way we can say he can't be a #1 or #2 option on the right team.

He's been great and I am loving what he has been doing, but I think everybody would be pretty amazingly happy if he could be a #3 option on a solid, healthy playoff team in his career...his contract would be quite a bargain as a #3 as well.

I am just repeating what others have been saying, but this team still needs a defensive minded big man and a creative scorer if we are going to be seriously competitive moving forward. Green is quickly solidifying his position as a very good starter for years to come.

« Reply #433 on: April 03, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm going to officially stop bringing up his rebounding, cuz his scoring really can be remarkable.

Still gonna harp on consistency until he does it 4 games out of 7 in a playoff series.

I'm a hard sell, Jeff, sue me.

No seriously don't sue me. You're really rich now, so..that's just a turn of phrase.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #434 on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:25 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I still don't think he'll be a top five SF in two years, but I'm loving his play right now.  Absolutely loving it.

Keep it up, Jeff.  We're rooting for you.