Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127463 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Why is everyone so shocked with Green's play?  This has happened before.  This is just Green's inconsistency showing up again.  It was probably forgotten because of his extended stretch of good play.

Roy (I think) made a post late in the 2012 calendar year about how Green consistently had two great games and then two terrible games afterward.  He always did it.

Now that Green's had about two months worth of excellent basketball, he'd been due to have a stretch of four or five bad games.

« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Why is everyone so shocked with Green's play?  This has happened before.  This is just Green's inconsistency showing up again.  It was probably forgotten because of his extended stretch of good play.

Roy (I think) made a post late in the 2012 calendar year about how Green consistently had two great games and then two terrible games afterward.  He always did it.

Now that Green's had about two months worth of excellent basketball, he'd been due to have a stretch of four or five bad games.

Let's artificially time his good games to be in the playoffs then ;)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #377 on: March 24, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I want you all to look at

1. The way Jeff Green is utilized. Doc likes a spaced floor. And when KG is not in especially, he's got Green just STANDING at the 3 point line. Why? Because you have a guy like BB that's not gonna take a super deep shot and if he's the guy taking shots, other teams will live with that. Teams are starting to slouch on AB. So the only threat is Paul Pierce who can slice you up from wherever, but preferably, midrange.
Jeff is just STANDING at the 3 point line and THAT'S WHERE HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE! Do you all not know his system? Doc's other wing player sits on the wing. And when JG is even playing the 4, he's that hybrid so that their 4 can be spaced out and AB/Bass/PP can attack if need be. Jeff's not getting a ton of rebounds being a perimeter shooter.

2. Jeff is almost never utlized in the pick and roll. Which is something I do not understand. The Celtics love the pick and pop, but don't pick and roll much with Rondo gone. A pick and roll with PP is DANGEROUS. But PP almost never passes it to Jeff.
The next time you watch a game, please notice how many times Jeff is open on the perimeter and in the pick and roll. They RARELY go to him.

3. Why are you all so hype on rebounds if Doc isn't? And I've been trying to get this for a while. Doc has easily said he doesn't care that much about rebounding. JG is getting between 4 and 6 a game. Jeff focuses more on boxing out. That's why guys like AB, PP can get boards, because the big guy is boxed out and someone can come in and get the rebound. Jeff is not 7 foot. Jeff (rarely) plays our Center.

Is there room for improvement? Heck yes. I think if Green gets a move or two, like a post shimmy to allow him to go right or something...he'd be cool. I mean...he needs something...sometimes he just has to stand there and wait to pass the ball because the right lane is cut off. That's not cool.

I think it's crazy the standards he's held to here. Could he be more consistent. Sure! But to call him invisible tonight...I'm not sure...And I'm almost thinking that's the way Doc wants him to play. Pull out there defender on the wing cuz he has to respect your shooting. Space the floor and make the shot if you get it.

I mean...had he sinked 2 of the late shot clock chucks he HAD to throw up, you all would be singing a different tune.

But whatever.
Enough with how Doc utilizes Green. That's just an excuse.

Did PJ Carlesimo not use him properly? Did Scott Brooks not use him properly? Now Doc Rivers doesn't use him properly?

Please. Stop. We are talking about three extremely good to great coaches. Coaches that know extraordinary basketball talent and utilize that talent when they have it. Otherwise, you are just a player that has to play a role.

Jeff Green is NOT an extraordinary talent. He's a good role playing player that needs to do what his coaches tell him to do. Doc has spoken about Green's lack of rebounding as being a concern this year already. Rebounding might be the most important thing you can do on a court beside score or play defense. That Green rebounds at times beyond poorly is a huge deal for a 6'9" player.

Last night just cemented my opinion of Green. He almost had me fooled there for a month or more but his disappearing act has returned (fourth quarter versus Miami, 3 quarters against New Orleans, then the Dallas and Memphis games). He's a very good role playing bench player that can score and occasionally play some defense, when he feels like it. But he's also prone to not showing up and never expect him to get a rebound. If he does, great, if not, at least you weren't counting on it.

I'm done talking about Green with the Green core of fans here that just see his potential and talk about it like its his reality. He's 26 and will be 27 before next season. If he hasn't turned into a special player yet, at this point, he never will.

« Reply #378 on: March 24, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

1. The way Jeff Green is utilized. Doc likes a spaced floor. And when KG is not in especially, he's got Green just STANDING at the 3 point line. Why? Because you have a guy like BB that's not gonna take a super deep shot and if he's the guy taking shots, other teams will live with that. Teams are starting to slouch on AB. So the only threat is Paul Pierce who can slice you up from wherever, but preferably, midrange.
Jeff is just STANDING at the 3 point line and THAT'S WHERE HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE! Do you all not know his system? Doc's other wing player sits on the wing. And when JG is even playing the 4, he's that hybrid so that their 4 can be spaced out and AB/Bass/PP can attack if need be. Jeff's not getting a ton of rebounds being a perimeter shooter.

2. Jeff is almost never utlized in the pick and roll. Which is something I do not understand. The Celtics love the pick and pop, but don't pick and roll much with Rondo gone. A pick and roll with PP is DANGEROUS. But PP almost never passes it to Jeff.
The next time you watch a game, please notice how many times Jeff is open on the perimeter and in the pick and roll. They RARELY go to him.

3. Why are you all so hype on rebounds if Doc isn't? And I've been trying to get this for a while. Doc has easily said he doesn't care that much about rebounding. JG is getting between 4 and 6 a game. Jeff focuses more on boxing out. That's why guys like AB, PP can get boards, because the big guy is boxed out and someone can come in and get the rebound. Jeff is not 7 foot. Jeff (rarely) plays our Center.

Is there room for improvement? Heck yes. I think if Green gets a move or two, like a post shimmy to allow him to go right or something...he'd be cool. I mean...he needs something...sometimes he just has to stand there and wait to pass the ball because the right lane is cut off. That's not cool.

I think it's crazy the standards he's held to here. Could he be more consistent. Sure! But to call him invisible tonight...I'm not sure...And I'm almost thinking that's the way Doc wants him to play. Pull out there defender on the wing cuz he has to respect your shooting. Space the floor and make the shot if you get it.

I mean...had he sinked 2 of the late shot clock chucks he HAD to throw up, you all would be singing a different tune.

But whatever.

Did PJ Carlesimo not use him properly? Did Scott Brooks not use him properly? Now Doc Rivers doesn't use him properly?

Please. Stop. We are talking about three extremely good to great coaches. Coaches that know extraordinary basketball talent and utilize that talent when they have it. Otherwise, you are just a player that has to play a role.

Jeff Green is NOT an extraordinary talent. He's a good role playing player that needs to do what his coaches tell him to do. Doc has spoken about Green's lack of rebounding as being a concern this year already. Rebounding might be the most important thing you can do on a court beside score or play defense. That Green rebounds at times beyond poorly is a huge deal for a 6'9" player.

Last night just cemented my opinion of Green. He almost had me fooled there for a month or more but his disappearing act has returned (fourth quarter versus Miami, 3 quarters against New Orleans, then the Dallas and Memphis games). He's a very good role playing bench player that can score and occasionally play some defense, when he feels like it. But he's also prone to not showing up and never expect him to get a rebound. If he does, great, if not, at least you weren't counting on it.

I'm done talking about Green with the Green core of fans here that just see his potential and talk about it like its his reality. He's 26 and will be 27 before next season. If he hasn't turned into a special player yet, at this point, he never will.

Well, I mean, it's people like yourself who want the world of Green but pay 0 attention to what's going on. You just look at the box score. Unfortunately, as a JG fan, I pay attention to everything he does.

I've pointed out some things he's bad at. I know rebounding is one of them but he's always been terrible at rebounding. He knows it and said he'd work on it but he's never been a rebounder. Just like Tony Allen has never been a jump shooter. He'll work on it. Some days he'll be great...others...nawl. So the rebounding convo is just kind of moot, imo.

Then you say things like why isn't he consistent. HE'S NOT BEING USED IN HIS ROLE CONSISTENTLY, HE'S NOT ON THE FLOOR IN CONSISTENT UNITS, AND HE'S JUST NOW PLAYING CONSISTENT MINUTES!

Jeff needs to work on his consistency. Yes. But between heart surgery, 9 new guys, I'm not asking for a lot.

And riddle me this. Doc calls specific plays for KG and PP to get them going. Doc KNOWS Jeff needs to get going quick as well, so why doesn't he ever call Jeff's number? Esp when Jeff is #3 offensively, here? That makes no sense to me.

« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

But whatever.

Well, I mean, it's people like yourself who want the world of Green but pay 0 attention to what's going on. You just look at the box score. Unfortunately, as a JG fan, I pay attention to everything he does.

I've pointed out some things he's bad at. I know rebounding is one of them but he's always been terrible at rebounding. He knows it and said he'd work on it but he's never been a rebounder. Just like Tony Allen has never been a jump shooter. He'll work on it. Some days he'll be great...others...nawl. So the rebounding convo is just kind of moot, imo.

Then you say things like why isn't he consistent. HE'S NOT BEING USED IN HIS ROLE CONSISTENTLY, HE'S NOT ON THE FLOOR IN CONSISTENT UNITS, AND HE'S JUST NOW PLAYING CONSISTENT MINUTES!

Jeff needs to work on his consistency. Yes. But between heart surgery, 9 new guys, I'm not asking for a lot.

And riddle me this. Doc calls specific plays for KG and PP to get them going. Doc KNOWS Jeff needs to get going quick as well, so why doesn't he ever call Jeff's number? Esp when Jeff is #3 offensively, here? That makes no sense to me.
Pierce and KG have actual moves.  Green either shoots, or drives in a straight line to the rim.  That's it.  If you call a play for that, the defense is probably going to stop him.  Green is great at taking advantage of what the defense gives him.  He's not good at forcing the action against a defense that is ready for him.

« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

But whatever.

Pierce and KG have actual moves.  Green either shoots, or drives in a straight line to the rim.  That's it.  If you call a play for that, the defense is probably going to stop him.  Green is great at taking advantage of what the defense gives him.  He's not good at forcing the action against a defense that is ready for him.

no he doesn't have any moves. i've already said that.

but if you can call plays to open up wide open shots for guys like kg, pp and even bass, why can't you do it for green who's hitting 47% of his spot up jumpers? why can't you create a back door play where green is 70+% on cutting?

I'm talking plays man. not isos. PLAYS

« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
I somewhat agree with moiso.

Green either shoots it, drives straight to the rim where he either loses the ball, gets fouled or gets blocked, or he passes the ball away.

The problem is, he does many of the things that elite small forwards (Carmelo, LeBron, Durant, Pierce) do when driving, except he doesn't force it. It seems he just takes what defense gives him and adjusts his game accordingly, instead of forcing it and making the defense adjust. You look at LeBron, Pierce, Carmelo, Durant, they drive strongly and finish strongly. The least of their expectation if getting fouled. They don't have "losing the ball" in their dictionary of possibilities.

If you look at him when he doesn't have the ball, he has a pretty bad off-ball movement. He literally just stands at the 3 point line doing nothing.

If he demands the ball by approaching the ball handler and raising his hand for the ball, many times the person with the ball stops executing the current play and gives the ball to Green, only for Green to dribble the ball twice or thrice and give it back to the handler.

Also, is he scared to dunk? Does he not want to dunk to preserve his body? Does he not dunk because of some medical reason? So many times when he drives, he is so close to the rim that he can just simply dunk it and get the point, instead, he goes for a layup which sometimes goes and sometimes doesn't. No one is asking for a fancy between-the-leg-360-behind-the-back-double-clutch-turnaround dunk. Just do a simple double hand dunk to get the point. Then again, if not doing it helps him preserve his body and keep him and his legs healthy for the playoffs, then I am fine with it.

Lastly, before people on this forum start telling me that I criticize green for everything and I am one of those stupid critics and all, let me tell you all one thing: I was one of those extremely few people in the entire Celtics fan base that kept believing in Green in the beginning of the season, when he was just awful. I was one of those people that was willing to give Green time due to the fact that he just came back from a huge surgery as well as a season without basketball.
I kept believing in him until the all-star break but now I am starting to lose it. Let's be real. This team is designed to get serious help from its bench in order to get anything done this season. Green's role and contract means he has to do the starter's work while coming off the bench. If he keeps playing this inconsistent, we won't be able to do anything. I don't care whether he becomes a Top 5 SF or not, he is on this team to help us, not become a top 5 sf. That is a bonus if he becomes that good.

I am just hoping that he can do this consistently in the playoffs.

In my opinion, to be successful, we need following output in terms of scoring from these players:

Paul Pierce - ~20 points
Kevin Garnett - ~18 points (his work on defense already does enough)
Jeff Green - ~18 points
Jason Terry - ~12 points
Jordan Crawford - ~12 points
Courtney Lee - ~12 points
Brandon Bass - ~12 points
Avery Bradley - ~12 points
Chris Wilcox - ~8 points
Terrence Williams - ~5 points
DJ White - ~4 points
Shavlik Randolph - ~4 points

This totals to 137 points and if we can score somewhere around this regularly in the playoffs as well as play good defense, I GUARANTEE YOU ALL that we WIN every game.

Now, I agree that not everyone will play, because Doc most likely still won't play the young guys, despite them showing good signs in the limited playing time. The best thing that can happen is if Doc plays them.

Also, this is just my opinion. If you think otherwise, you are more than welcome to share it.

« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I somewhat agree with moiso.

Green either shoots it, drives straight to the rim where he either loses the ball, gets fouled or gets blocked, or he passes the ball away.

The problem is, he does many of the things that elite small forwards (Carmelo, LeBron, Durant, Pierce) do when driving, except he doesn't force it. It seems he just takes what defense gives him and adjusts his game accordingly, instead of forcing it and making the defense adjust. You look at LeBron, Pierce, Carmelo, Durant, they drive strongly and finish strongly. The least of their expectation if getting fouled. They don't have "losing the ball" in their dictionary of possibilities.

If you look at him when he doesn't have the ball, he has a pretty bad off-ball movement. He literally just stands at the 3 point line doing nothing.

If he demands the ball by approaching the ball handler and raising his hand for the ball, many times the person with the ball stops executing the current play and gives the ball to Green, only for Green to dribble the ball twice or thrice and give it back to the handler.

Also, is he scared to dunk? Does he not want to dunk to preserve his body? Does he not dunk because of some medical reason? So many times when he drives, he is so close to the rim that he can just simply dunk it and get the point, instead, he goes for a layup which sometimes goes and sometimes doesn't. No one is asking for a fancy between-the-leg-360-behind-the-back-double-clutch-turnaround dunk. Just do a simple double hand dunk to get the point. Then again, if not doing it helps him preserve his body and keep him and his legs healthy for the playoffs, then I am fine with it.

Lastly, before people on this forum start telling me that I criticize green for everything and I am one of those stupid critics and all, let me tell you all one thing: I was one of those extremely few people in the entire Celtics fan base that kept believing in Green in the beginning of the season, when he was just awful. I was one of those people that was willing to give Green time due to the fact that he just came back from a huge surgery as well as a season without basketball.
I kept believing in him until the all-star break but now I am starting to lose it. Let's be real. This team is designed to get serious help from its bench in order to get anything done this season. Green's role and contract means he has to do the starter's work while coming off the bench. If he keeps playing this inconsistent, we won't be able to do anything. I don't care whether he becomes a Top 5 SF or not, he is on this team to help us, not become a top 5 sf. That is a bonus if he becomes that good.

I am just hoping that he can do this consistently in the playoffs.

In my opinion, to be successful, we need following output in terms of scoring from these players:

Paul Pierce - ~20 points
Kevin Garnett - ~18 points (his work on defense already does enough)
Jeff Green - ~18 points
Jason Terry - ~12 points
Jordan Crawford - ~12 points
Courtney Lee - ~12 points
Brandon Bass - ~12 points
Avery Bradley - ~12 points
Chris Wilcox - ~8 points
Terrence Williams - ~5 points
DJ White - ~4 points
Shavlik Randolph - ~4 points

This totals to 137 points and if we can score somewhere around this regularly in the playoffs as well as play good defense, I GUARANTEE YOU ALL that we WIN every game.

Now, I agree that not everyone will play, because Doc most likely still won't play the young guys, despite them showing good signs in the limited playing time. The best thing that can happen is if Doc plays them.

Also, this is just my opinion. If you think otherwise, you are more than welcome to share it.

Ha ha--and how many minutes is each of those guys going to have to play to hit their numbers?  We'll have to hope for triple-overtime every game.

« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2013, 04:02:23 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
If we score 137 points and play good defense every game, we'll win! 

Why didn't I think of that?

« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Good job mocking me, but unsurprisingly, you all missed the point. The point is not to score 137 points a game.

The point is to consistently benefit us in some way. Whether that is through scoring (as demonstrated previously) or through other means.

Also, I think some of you fail to understand what "~" means in "~20 points." It doesn't mean you have to score 20 points, it means around AROUND 20 points. 18,19,20,21,22. Somewhere around that.

Also, for everyone to produce, we don't need to go into triple-overtime every game. Let's be honest, our players take incredibly stupid shots all the time. Perhaps if we stopped forcing every singly shot, we wouldn't go on scoring droughts.

« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
No reason to doubt any longer! Now we see he can be a first-option on offense too! If only the calls went his ways tonight...

But he's playing at a way better deal than Gay or Josh Smith. Definitely fair value, and I look at the posters who said we overpaid, with nothing but surprise.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #386 on: March 30, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
yea. hopefully Rondo is paying attention to what the guy can do and will trust him now

I honestly think if we keep a core of Rondo/JG/AB/Sully we're really not as bad off as people think, esp if RR develops his jumper some more and JG develops his moves. I think we need a good big that rebounds and in the east, at the very least we are an 8 seed.

now if PP/KG stay, with JGs development and such, I really think we could have a shot, health permitting. And I'm starting to really like this JG at the 3/PP at the 2 lineup. I was haphazard cuz I didn't think Paul could keep up, but he's making it work.

As a starter, Jeff is averaging 21 points, and that's really thanks to a couple flat performances where he didn't do much. I think as a consistent start, we will see that number increase. He made 27 and 31 look EASY. As I continue to say, he needs a guy to feed him the ball. If he has that, we're good.

« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I, for one, won't be surprised when he averages 25 a game.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »

Offline Josh88

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11

Care to put some money on that?

« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Care to put some money on that?
[/quote

I think it's a possibility if he continues to start
I know you all want to take away from his avgs (Suns suck, Hawks barely played D...whatever)...every game counts in the NBA. Right now he's avging 21 points, thanks to a 43 point explosion against our reigning champs

If he starts and continues to be #2 or #3 for offense, he can. It may not be here, but I think he could. Do you see how easy he makes it look? He just bombards his way through the paint. And you have to respect his jumper, which seemed to be wet last night (I didn't watch, just saw highlights).