Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127369 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I think they are already getting his spot ready in the hall of fame, right next to Terrence Williams and Jordan Crawford.

Hey Vinnie, you have spent a good part of your life hammering him, a guy who had open heart surgery 13 months ago...and 3 days I think. Meanhwhile, he seems to be progressing. Lets assume he can do no right in you eyes for some reason. Do you have a reason for this degree of hatred? You have posted numerous sarcastic responses about his game today...as many as 5 or 6.

not to mention the blog post comments.
got to be a solid 45 including those

Vinnie isn't some college kid who think he is immortal so its beyond my understanding that he seems to have NO concept this man had open heart surgery. I get a 22 year old punk from Boston College not understanding. But a grown man with kids? No, I don't get it

What does his surgery have to do with any of this? Until the last few weeks, his play in Boston has mirrored his play for his entire career, inconsistent and passive.  Give it a rest with the lecture. My commentary has nothing to do with his surgery.  It is a great thing that they found his life  threatening condition and he is able to play again and liv a full life. Get off your high horse.

You have no idea why his surgery matters??

Vinnie, if you are ever faced with what he was, I guess you will find out. But hey, maybe you'll be lucky.

The freaking surgery has nothing to do with my commentary on the guy's play. Of course it matters -- in the same way that Wilcox' surgery matters. The point I am trying to make is that until the last month, Green has played with the Celtics the same way he played for his first 5 years in the league. Is that too hard to understand?

« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
i'm not sure how you can look at greens play the last month and say he's "playing the same way he has the past 5 seasons in the league" even just from the eye test.

over the past month he's shooting 50+% and is very aggressive on both the offensive/defensive end...right now he is shooting nearly 46% for the season...which is a career high for him

even his offensive moves, last night watching I sensed he's picked up some of pierces moves

what he is showing is CONSISTENCY that has been a criticism of him lacking over the past 5 years....not only in scoring, but even when he has a subpar night, he seems to make an impact on the game.

and if he can keep that consistency up, danny has snagged a starting calibar SF on cheap $$

« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I think they are already getting his spot ready in the hall of fame, right next to Terrence Williams and Jordan Crawford.

Hey Vinnie, you have spent a good part of your life hammering him, a guy who had open heart surgery 13 months ago...and 3 days I think. Meanhwhile, he seems to be progressing. Lets assume he can do no right in you eyes for some reason. Do you have a reason for this degree of hatred? You have posted numerous sarcastic responses about his game today...as many as 5 or 6.

Vinnie isn't some college kid who think he is immortal so its beyond my understanding that he seems to have NO concept this man had open heart surgery. I get a 22 year old punk from Boston College not understanding. But a grown man with kids? No, I don't get it

What does his surgery have to do with any of this? Until the last few weeks, his play in Boston has mirrored his play for his entire career, inconsistent and passive.  Give it a rest with the lecture. My commentary has nothing to do with his surgery.  It is a great thing that they found his life  threatening condition and he is able to play again and liv a full life. Get off your high horse.

Vinnie, if you are ever faced with what he was, I guess you will find out. But hey, maybe you'll be lucky.
Can't believe I am siding with vinnie here, but what the heck does his surgery have to do with anything except that it is now a feel good story?

He was fully recovered from the surgery months and months ago. I am glad they detected his ailment and made the correction before, God forbid, anything tragic happened. But they caught it and corrected it and life goes on.

I think the last thing anyone who is put into a life threatening situation wants is for people to make excuses for them based on their experience or illness. Jeff Green, a professional athlete, would be even less likely to do such a thing.

Green has played, up until mid January or so, his usual, inconsistent, uninspired, passive, mediocre brand of basketball for the Celtics. In late January, he started playing consistent, aggressive, inspired ball playing to his strengths and playing inspired defense. Last night was just a continuation of that very good streak.

And I think his heart surgery was responsible for none of his previous problems and has nothing to do with his sudden resurgence.

This one surprises me, coming from you, Nick.

I would imagine you'll display the same tolerance for Rondo when his game is mediocre out of the gate from knee surgery.

A year of rust is a difficult thing for any athlete - at any age - to shake off.

As is the careful use that an injury - or a heart surgery - requires immediately upon return.

You are badly off-point here, Nick.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
i'm not sure how you can look at greens play the last month and say he's "playing the same way he has the past 5 seasons in the league" even just from the eye test.

over the past month he's shooting 50+% and is very aggressive on both the offensive/defensive end...right now he is shooting nearly 46% for the season...which is a career high for him

even his offensive moves, last night watching I sensed he's picked up some of pierces moves

what he is showing is CONSISTENCY that has been a criticism of him lacking over the past 5 years....not only in scoring, but even when he has a subpar night, he seems to make an impact on the game.

and if he can keep that consistency up, danny has snagged a starting calibar SF on cheap $$

That is exactly what I wrote. I said UNTIL THE LAST MONTH he had been playing exactly the way her played his whole career. The last month he has been far better. No argument from me here.

« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
oh, ok..

I guess the only other question is, why has his play been so much better since the rondo injury?

did he click a mental swtich and is finally coming into his own?(which would be my hope)

or is it from a style of play more conducive to his skillset w/o rondo...I'e more freedom to make plays and handle the ball

« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
oh, ok..

I guess the only other question is, why has his play been so much better since the rondo injury?

did he click a mental swtich and is finally coming into his own?(which would be my hope)

or is it from a style of play more conducive to his skillset w/o rondo...I'e more freedom to make plays and handle the ball

I don't buy much into the Rondo being out phenomenon coinciding with Jeff Green playing better. Sure, there's some of that, but Green was already showing signs of improving plenty before Rajon went down.

« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
oh, ok..

I don't buy much into the Rondo being out phenomenon coinciding with Jeff Green playing better. Sure, there's some of that, but Green was already showing signs of improving plenty before Rajon went down.

I do, the ball is in his hands more and are pace an offense has really picked up. Unless he's running green isn't a great off ball player. Though his corner three is pretty consistent.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
oh, ok..

I do, the ball is in his hands more and are pace an offense has really picked up. Unless he's running green isn't a great off ball player. Though his corner three is pretty consistent.

Prior to Rondo going down, Jeff Green was shooting 48% from the floor for the month of January. While now that he has a bigger role, he's become more productive, there was already a marked improvement of the recent Jeff Green compared to the one that began the season.

Also to remember, is that he was spending a lot of time with our bench unit with Terry and Lee, which meant he was already being favored a taste of the recent flavor of Celtics basketball.

His February has been pretty spectacular though.

« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Can't believe I am siding with vinnie here, but what the heck does his surgery have to do with anything except that it is now a feel good story?

He was fully recovered from the surgery months and months ago. I am glad they detected his ailment and made the correction before, God forbid, anything tragic happened. But they caught it and corrected it and life goes on.

I think the last thing anyone who is put into a life threatening situation wants is for people to make excuses for them based on their experience or illness. Jeff Green, a professional athlete, would be even less likely to do such a thing.

Green has played, up until mid January or so, his usual, inconsistent, uninspired, passive, mediocre brand of basketball for the Celtics. In late January, he started playing consistent, aggressive, inspired ball playing to his strengths and playing inspired defense. Last night was just a continuation of that very good streak.

And I think his heart surgery was responsible for none of his previous problems and has nothing to do with his sudden resurgence.

This one surprises me, coming from you, Nick.

I would imagine you'll display the same tolerance for Rondo when his game is mediocre out of the gate from knee surgery.

A year of rust is a difficult thing for any athlete - at any age - to shake off.

As is the careful use that an injury - or a heart surgery - requires immediately upon return.

You are badly off-point here, Nick.
I don't think I am because I am firmly of the belief that his better play recently is mental. His per minute stats from November to late January were exactly the same as his career stats and just about every year of his career. The only thing that fluctuated his per game stats were his minutes played.

I don't think his play to begin the year was sub par. I think it was exactly what should have been expected from Green if 100% healthy.

I think his increased play is mental. I think he's acclimating himself to playing in this system and I think it has tremendously helped him being influenced by Pierce and KG for the year. Green isn't taking plays off anymore. He brings a different attitude to his play. He is aggressive and playing with more consistency.

My guess is, as someone said earlier, that something finally clicked in him. He understands what it takes to be successful and saw that doing what he always did wasn't working. So something changed and I don't think it was his physical being. I think it was his drive, determination, experience, knowledge that changed and was responsible for his change of performance, not his health.

And that is why I think his surgery is unimportant in the discussion.

« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
lets not jump the gun and see what he does in the playoffs first. That is the true test if you are a nice player vs average one.

« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
I don't think Paul George is above Pierce yet. Not right now this season.

If we go H2H against the Pacers I think we will see Pierce outplay George.

« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Prior to Rondo going down, Jeff Green was shooting 48% from the floor for the month of January. While now that he has a bigger role, he's become more productive, there was already a marked improvement of the recent Jeff Green compared to the one that began the season.

Good point.

TP

« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
oh, ok..

Sullinger probably did more to improve Green's play than Rondo's. It freed up a logjam of Sully/Green/Bass and gave Bass and Green steadier minutes.

« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
oh, ok..

Sullinger probably did more to improve Green's play than Rondo's. It freed up a logjam of Sully/Green/Bass and gave Bass and Green steadier minutes.
And I still say the bounce up in play of many individuals has more to do with them looking in the mirror and saying to thenselves after the rash of injuries:

"Am I giving this team everything I can or can I give more?" and then turned up the effort that should have been there in the first place and made this team one of the top 4 contending for a title this year. Many players started playing much better and it has to do with a more determined effort and commitment that wasn't there before the Rondo injury.

« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
oh, ok..

And I still say the bounce up in play of many individuals has more to do with them looking in the mirror and saying to thenselves after the rash of injuries:

"Am I giving this team everything I can or can I give more?" and then turned up the effort that should have been there in the first place and made this team one of the top 4 contending for a title this year. Many players started playing much better and it has to do with a more determined effort and commitment that wasn't there before the Rondo injury.

While I kinda appreciate the whole spiritual commitment vibe, I think it's the fact that these guys are given more freedom to do what they can offensively with the ball in their hands. This being the better thing for their confidence than them running to spots on the floor and maybe having a 10% chance of getting the ball passed to them.

The increased confidence in each other on offense is leading to better commitment on defense. This new celtics incarnation is a demon at forcing turnovers.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?