Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127051 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

How coincidental do you think this is? Paul George has always been labeled a pretty good player throughout his career, and was a solid starter on a championship contender in the Pacers last year. One of the best players on the Pacers for sure. Now that Granger is injured, he's a lock for the All-Star game and is their best player.

Now look at Jeff Green who was a solid starter with the 2010-11 Thunder, a championship contender. I'd say third best behind Durant and Westbrook. Unfortunately, he's always stuck behind Durant or Pierce. Imagine if Pierce had  a Granger-esque injury (god forbid) or if Pierce retired...

I'm seeing another trend pointing to Jeff Green -> Top 5 SF.

Notice, George has improved both seasons.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4251/paul-george

Notice, Green has not since his second season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3209/jeff-green

Notice how Green's first->second year is better than George's first->second year.
It's what happened afterwards that gets everyone mad.

If we had no Pierce, he would have those second-year stats (which are as good as George's current All-Star worthy stats) and so much more. Totally better than George right now. Too bad Pierce won't let him.

He can definitely be an All-Star at his worst... which happens to have already happened. Look at his drop-off after the trade/surgery... he isn't being given a chance and y'all are all hatin' on him for that. Blame DOC if anyone. Green had a better start than the All-Star Paul George who is currently a top 6 SF in the league...

It's NOT Green's fault and he HAS the talent and has ALREADY shown it... give him the chance again!

I have said he is a good SF.

He is not the star in waiting others are trying to make him out to be.  He is the player he has shown to be. 

That player is not a top 5 SF.

Paul George is a star. Jeff Green can definitely be more than just Paul George if PP leaves and Green gets his chance. Top 5 for sure, seeing as George is already top 6 in year 3.

So we have a richmans Paul George just rotting on the bench huh?

Yes. More than just Paul George. But Pierce wont let him show his true talent to develop properly.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You look into stats too much. I think his game is much more refined than when I saw him rookie year. In three years, he will be places NONE of you would ever expect......

He doesn't chuck like Gay, he's years ahead of MKG, Evan Turner is not much more than a role player either if Green isn't, and Gallo/Chandler are never gonna be all stars.

I can't tell what Barnes or Shabazz Mohammed might be in 2 years.
In what way has Jeff Green refined his game?  He was an at-the-rim finisher then, he's an at-the-rim finisher now.

If anything his game has regressed.  He was a 39% 3pt shooter (1.2 per game) his first year in OKC.

He is also playing 15 less minutes a game then he did with OKC.
Per minute he's about the same.  More playing time is irrelevant.

So if he's about the same then how has his game regressed?

And his first year in the league he averaged 28% from beyond the arc not 39%. (He was in Seattle not OKC but it was still the same team.) His next two years he was at 33% and around 30%. So he is pretty much right on cue this year with what he is used to.

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
CelticConcourse, you are a double rainbow of celtic pride. Don't ever change.

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Paul George, a lock for this year's All-Star game... Is in his third year.
In his second year, his stats weren't even close to the stats of Jeff's second year.

Jeff Green has had much more experience and is nearing his prime.

A the least, he's a sure fire All-Star.

So again, Green reached his level of play in his second season and George surpassed that level by his third season.

George only surpassed it because Granger is injured.

Green is stuck behind Pierce and was stuck behind Durant.

George was starting last year.  He showed marked improvement going into his second season.  He has shown a similar improvement going onto his third season.  I wouldn't be shocked if we saw more improvement going into his 4th season. 

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
CelticConcourse, you are a double rainbow of celtic pride. Don't ever change.

Thanks bruh.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

How coincidental do you think this is? Paul George has always been labeled a pretty good player throughout his career, and was a solid starter on a championship contender in the Pacers last year. One of the best players on the Pacers for sure. Now that Granger is injured, he's a lock for the All-Star game and is their best player.

Now look at Jeff Green who was a solid starter with the 2010-11 Thunder, a championship contender. I'd say third best behind Durant and Westbrook. Unfortunately, he's always stuck behind Durant or Pierce. Imagine if Pierce had  a Granger-esque injury (god forbid) or if Pierce retired...

Notice how Green's first->second year is better than George's first->second year.

If we had no Pierce, he would have those second-year stats (which are as good as George's current All-Star worthy stats) and so much more. Totally better than George right now. Too bad Pierce won't let him.

He can definitely be an All-Star at his worst... which happens to have already happened. Look at his drop-off after the trade/surgery... he isn't being given a chance and y'all are all hatin' on him for that. Blame DOC if anyone. Green had a better start than the All-Star Paul George who is currently a top 6 SF in the league...

It's NOT Green's fault and he HAS the talent and has ALREADY shown it... give him the chance again!

He is not the star in waiting others are trying to make him out to be.  He is the player he has shown to be. 

Paul George is a star. Jeff Green can definitely be more than just Paul George if PP leaves and Green gets his chance. Top 5 for sure, seeing as George is already top 6 in year 3.

Yes. More than just Paul George. But Pierce wont let him show his true talent to develop properly.

Do you think he is better than Pierce? Because you are saying he's at worst a sure fire all-star and at least avg 20 and 5...which Pierce only did one time in his HALL OF FAME career

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
In his second year, his stats weren't even close to the stats of Jeff's second year.

So again, Green reached his level of play in his second season and George surpassed that level by his third season.

George was starting last year.  He showed marked improvement going into his second season.  He has shown a similar improvement going onto his third season.  I wouldn't be shocked if we saw more improvement going into his 4th season.

Green showed marked improvement going into his second season... And became a 16 point scorer.
He did in his third season too, until the Thunder realized Durant was too good. So, now Green is stuck between his second- and third-season abilities at age 26. And until Pierce leaves, that's where he will stay.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Do you think he is better than Pierce? Because you are saying he's at worst a sure fire all-star and at least avg 20 and 5...which Pierce only did one time in his HALL OF FAME career

I don't think he's better, which is the big problem I'm addressing. The reason OKC traded him was cause they had one HOF SF and one amazing one. We also have one HOF SF and one amazing one.

Trade him or wait two years when we lose Pierce.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Green showed marked improvement going into his second season... And became a 16 point scorer.
He did in his third season too, until the Thunder realized Durant was too good. So, now Green is stuck between his second- and third-season abilities at age 26. And until Pierce leaves, that's where he will stay.

No.

He was a guy that played 37 minutes a game for them.

Took around 13 shots.

Would hit around 6 of them.

And grab 6 rebounds.

There isn't a huge swing in any of those seasons.  And when you take his numbers from the Celtics and compared them per minute, use see that he has the exact same rates. 

Green is the player that he is.  And he has been this player now for 6 years now. 

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

No.

Took around 13 shots.

And grab 6 rebounds.

There isn't a huge swing in any of those seasons.  And when you take his numbers from the Celtics and compared them per minute, use see that he has the exact same rates. 

Green is the player that he is.  And he has been this player now for 6 years now.

Pierce gets around six rebounds and shoots six and a half out off fifteen, getting 19 points. Jeff Green can do that too.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No.

Took around 13 shots.

And grab 6 rebounds.

Pierce gets around six rebounds and shoots six and a half out off fifteen, getting 19 points. Jeff Green can do that too.

Difference is, Pierce actually would do that because he was aggressive and knew how to get on the FT line. 

In the 6 season Green has played, he has not.  I can't think of any swing players that suddenly became big time get to the line players after 6 seasons of heavy minutes not getting to the line. 

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

No.

Took around 13 shots.

And grab 6 rebounds.

Difference is, Pierce actually would do that because he was aggressive and knew how to get on the FT line. 

In the 6 season Green has played, he has not.  I can't think of any swing players that suddenly became big time get to the line players after 6 seasons of heavy minutes not getting to the line.

He could score 16 points in his second year in the league!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No.

Took around 13 shots.

And grab 6 rebounds.

Is this Green's 2nd year?  Or his third year? 

Where is the growth? 

« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

No.

Took around 13 shots.

And grab 6 rebounds.

Is this Green's 2nd year?  Or his third year? 

Where is the growth?

It's far past.
He's stuck behind Durant and Pierce.

He's nearing his prime and certainly hasn't regressed.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2013, 02:44:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

It's far past.
He's stuck behind Durant and Pierce.

He's nearing his prime and certainly hasn't regressed.

He wasn't behind Durant.  He was next to him playing 37 minutes a game. 

And no, he has not regressed.  He is the same player he was since his 2nd season.