Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127047 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Here's what I've got to say...
Comparing others players with Green in two years:

LeBron: Yes
Durant: Yes
Carmelo: Very Likely
George: Possible
Batum: Possible
Kidd-Gilchrist: Possible
Gay: Unlikely
Deng: Unlikely
Pierce: Unlikely
Turner: Unlikely
Parsons: Surely not
Prince: No
World Peace: No
Granger: No
Gallinari: No
Chandler: No
Kirilenko: No

So, essentially, I'm putting him on the same level as Paul George, whose having a career year as an all-star without Granger, Nicolas Batum, one of the best SFs in the West who can notch triple-doubles or 5x5s when he wants and Kidd-Gilchrist who is having a solid start to what should be a long NBA campaign.

SPEAKING OF:

How coincidental do you think this is? Paul George has always been labeled a pretty good player throughout his career, and was a solid starter on a championship contender in the Pacers last year. One of the best players on the Pacers for sure. Now that Granger is injured, he's a lock for the All-Star game and is their best player.

Now look at Jeff Green who was a solid starter with the 2010-11 Thunder, a championship contender. I'd say third best behind Durant and Westbrook. Unfortunately, he's always stuck behind Durant or Pierce. Imagine if Pierce had  a Granger-esque injury (god forbid) or if Pierce retired...

I'm seeing another trend pointing to Jeff Green -> Top 5 SF.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

How coincidental do you think this is? Paul George has always been labeled a pretty good player throughout his career, and was a solid starter on a championship contender in the Pacers last year. One of the best players on the Pacers for sure. Now that Granger is injured, he's a lock for the All-Star game and is their best player.

Now look at Jeff Green who was a solid starter with the 2010-11 Thunder, a championship contender. I'd say third best behind Durant and Westbrook. Unfortunately, he's always stuck behind Durant or Pierce. Imagine if Pierce had  a Granger-esque injury (god forbid) or if Pierce retired...

Notice, George has improved both seasons.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4251/paul-george

Notice, Green has not since his second season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3209/jeff-green

« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
You look into stats too much. I think his game is much more refined than when I saw him rookie year. In three years, he will be places NONE of you would ever expect......

He doesn't chuck like Gay, he's years ahead of MKG, Evan Turner is not much more than a role player either if Green isn't, and Gallo/Chandler are never gonna be all stars.

I can't tell what Barnes or Shabazz Mohammed might be in 2 years.
In what way has Jeff Green refined his game?  He was an at-the-rim finisher then, he's an at-the-rim finisher now.

If anything his game has regressed.  He was a 39% 3pt shooter (1.2 per game) his first year in OKC.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
You look into stats too much. I think his game is much more refined than when I saw him rookie year. In three years, he will be places NONE of you would ever expect......

He doesn't chuck like Gay, he's years ahead of MKG, Evan Turner is not much more than a role player either if Green isn't, and Gallo/Chandler are never gonna be all stars.

In what way has Jeff Green refined his game?  He was an at-the-rim finisher then, he's an at-the-rim finisher now.

If anything his game has regressed.  He was a 39% 3pt shooter (1.2 per game) his first year in OKC.

He is also playing 15 less minutes a game then he did with OKC.

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Notice how Green's first->second year is better than George's first->second year.
It's what happened afterwards that gets everyone mad.

If we had no Pierce, he would have those second-year stats (which are as good as George's current All-Star worthy stats) and so much more. Totally better than George right now. Too bad Pierce won't let him.

He can definitely be an All-Star at his worst... which happens to have already happened. Look at his drop-off after the trade/surgery... he isn't being given a chance and y'all are all hatin' on him for that. Blame DOC if anyone. Green had a better start than the All-Star Paul George who is currently a top 6 SF in the league...

It's NOT Green's fault and he HAS the talent and has ALREADY shown it... give him the chance again!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I want to make sure I'm understanding this list. You are saying that in 2015, Jeff Green will be a better player than Danny Granger, Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, Danilo Galinari, and Andre Kirilenko?

I don't understand why this thread keeps floating up to the top. I guess it's because you're trolling Green-haters (like me) who are all too eager to spout off.

Jeff Green is a below-average player. I kinda hate him.

Thank you for your service!

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He is also playing 15 less minutes a game then he did with OKC.
Per minute he's about the same.  More playing time is irrelevant.

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Paul George, a lock for this year's All-Star game... Is in his third year.
In his second year, his stats weren't even close to the stats of Jeff's second year.

Jeff Green has had much more experience and is nearing his prime.

At the least, he's a sure fire All-Star.

This is due to Grangers injury...if Granger was still there George would be the same as last year

It's players like James Harden and Paul George who need a chance to shine, to show their skills. Jeff Green is no different.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Notice how Green's first->second year is better than George's first->second year.

If we had no Pierce, he would have those second-year stats (which are as good as George's current All-Star worthy stats) and so much more. Totally better than George right now. Too bad Pierce won't let him.

He can definitely be an All-Star at his worst... which happens to have already happened. Look at his drop-off after the trade/surgery... he isn't being given a chance and y'all are all hatin' on him for that. Blame DOC if anyone. Green had a better start than the All-Star Paul George who is currently a top 6 SF in the league...

It's NOT Green's fault and he HAS the talent and has ALREADY shown it... give him the chance again!

I have said he is a good SF.

He is not the star in waiting others are trying to make him out to be.  He is the player he has shown to be. 

That player is not a top 5 SF. 

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It's so awesome we have a 8 page thread on Jeff Green's all-star talent, lol

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
In his second year, his stats weren't even close to the stats of Jeff's second year.

A the least, he's a sure fire All-Star.

So again, Green reached his level of play in his second season and George surpassed that level by his third season.

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

He is not the star in waiting others are trying to make him out to be.  He is the player he has shown to be. 

Paul George is a star. Jeff Green can definitely be more than just Paul George if PP leaves and Green gets his chance. Top 5 for sure, seeing as George is already top 6 in year 3.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

A the least, he's a sure fire All-Star.

So again, Green reached his level of play in his second season and George surpassed that level by his third season.

George only surpassed it because Granger is injured.

Green is stuck behind Pierce and was stuck behind Durant.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Paul George is a star. Jeff Green can definitely be more than just Paul George if PP leaves and Green gets his chance. Top 5 for sure, seeing as George is already top 6 in year 3.

The three seasons where he started for the Thunder and put up the rate of stats as he is now means he didn't have his chance to show he is some sort of star?

And a guy further from his prime has already passed him. 

« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

So we have a richmans Paul George just rotting on the bench huh?