Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127062 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am tired of hearing what Green COULD do... for $40 mill let me see what he DOES do.
For $40 million, you will have to wait until the end of his contract.

Even Ersan İlyasova re-signed with the Bucks a 5 year, $40 million dollar contract, and he's playing WAY worse than Jeff Green.

That makes overpaying Green all worth it.  Someone else overpayed another player.
Hey, you can staff your roster entirely with vet minimum players. This way, it's mathematically impossible to overpay anyone. Wouldn't it be great to have a roster chock full of folks that perform at or above their pay grade?

There is a huge range between vet min (just under 900K, 1 year) and 80 million for 4 years.

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green was a solid starter on a championship contender in the 2010-11 Thunder. Had it not been for his surgery, he'd already be a top 7 SF in this league. His post game is better than most SFs, he can face-up defend. His three pointer and jumper aren't bad by any means and he has top-3 court vision on our team. He has the size to dominate SFs, but not PFs, and as long as Pierce clogs up all the PT at SF, Green won't be able to show his real skills off. Until he's in the right position to succeed, he will always be considered a waste of money.

Give him a chance with Rondo/Lee/Green/Sullinger/Garnett and there's an opportunity for a 20PPG/5APG player in Green... at the least.

I seem to be the only one who can see Green as a dominant SF in two-three years...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Jeff Green was a solid starter on a championship contender in the 2010-11 Thunder. Had it not been for his surgery, he'd already be a top 7 SF in this league. His post game is better than most SFs, he can face-up defend. His three pointer and jumper aren't bad by any means and he has top-3 court vision on our team. He has the size to dominate SFs, but not PFs, and as long as Pierce clogs up all the PT at SF, Green won't be able to show his real skills off. Until he's in the right position to succeed, he will always be considered a waste of money.

Give him a chance with Rondo/Lee/Green/Sullinger/Garnett and there's an opportunity for a 20PPG/5APG player in Green... at the least.

I seem to be the only one who can see Green as a dominant SF in two-three years...

So you think at the least he's going to do something Pierce only managed to do one time? (20ppg 5apg)

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That's probably because you are a massive fan-boy of his or related to him in some way.

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am tired of hearing what Green COULD do... for $40 mill let me see what he DOES do.

Even Ersan İlyasova re-signed with the Bucks a 5 year, $40 million dollar contract, and he's playing WAY worse than Jeff Green.

That makes overpaying Green all worth it.  Someone else overpayed another player.
Hey, you can staff your roster entirely with vet minimum players. This way, it's mathematically impossible to overpay anyone. Wouldn't it be great to have a roster chock full of folks that perform at or above their pay grade?

There is a huge range between vet min (just under 900K, 1 year) and 80 million for 4 years.
Just because $40 million is not enough, we've ballooned to $80.

Jeff Green's contract is for $36 million. And since he's not getting them all at once, asking "what have you given me for this money" is pretty much a knee-jerk reaction.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
huh, is that some kind of joke??

Let's see...Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Paul George, Granger, Rudy Gay, Deng, Batum, Gallinari, Kirilenko are just SOME of the guys who are undisputedly better than Jeff Green at the moment. I'm not gonna bring up names like Leonard, MKG or Harrison Barnes who may become better than Green in 2 years' time... so you're basically saying that 2/3 of them are gonna have career ending injuries in the next 2 years... sounds fair!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Let's see...Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Paul George, Granger, Rudy Gay, Deng, Batum, Gallinari, Kirilenko are just SOME of the guys who are undisputedly better than Jeff Green at the moment. I'm not gonna bring up names like Leonard, MKG or Harrison Barnes who may become better than Green in 2 years' time... so you're basically saying that 2/3 of them are gonna have career ending injuries in the next 2 years... sounds fair!
Gallinari, Kirilenko and Granger (who hasn't played a minute this season), really?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
In two years, vs. Green? My predictions:

LeBron: Yes
Durant: Yes
Carmelo: Very Likely
George: Possible
Batum: Possible
Gay: Unlikely
Deng: Unlikely
Granger: No
Gallinari: No
Chandler: No
Kirilenko: No

I'll put this in the OP as well.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

Gallinari, Kirilenko and Granger (who hasn't played a minute this season), really?
Kirilenko is much much better player than Green at the moment. He's kinda old though, so I'm not sure if he's gonna be better in 2 years time...

Gallo might be inconsistent himself but when his game is on, he can be a really dominant player: 10 times better shooter, passer and he's actually not afraid to take the big shot/make the big play...

Granger is an all-star, what are u talking about? did his career end because of the injury?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:59:16 PM by albas89 »
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Just because $40 million is not enough, we've ballooned to $80.

Jeff Green's contract is for $36 million. And since he's not getting them all at once, asking "what have you given me for this money" is pretty much a knee-jerk reaction.

My mistake.

I was still stuck on the 8 million a season for a backup SF. 

And I don't think there are many 8 million dollar players in the NBA.  There are the max, near max, the mle and the under MLE.

The only exception is the solid C. 

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Can someone show one piece of actual evidence that Green has improved over the years?  Everything I see looks like a consistent play level year after year.
Even if he remains a 15 ppg / 6 rpg per 35 minutes player for the duration of his contract... what exactly were you hoping to get for a contract that averages 9 million a year?

Now, this I agree with.  He basically is what you can expect from $9 million a year these days.  I just think we all wanted a bargain, rather than a market value player. 

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'm with you, although I wouldn't say he'll be dominant, but I've seen what he can do.

Like I said, it's a matter of confidence or him getting caught into the "playing within the system" sickness I just termed.

I think he's passive to a fault, because he doesn't wanna make a ton of mistakes maybe. I think he's down confidence wise. But I do believe he has the tools to be Top 15 SF in the league, maybe top 10.

I think he needs to just set himself free and do things he normally does. I think he's just playing the way the C's want him to play, which is in no way bad, but once in a while he needs to play like, well, the Jeff Green we saw, aggressive and a bit selfish.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Can someone show one piece of actual evidence that Green has improved over the years?  Everything I see looks like a consistent play level year after year.
Even if he remains a 15 ppg / 6 rpg per 35 minutes player for the duration of his contract... what exactly were you hoping to get for a contract that averages 9 million a year?

Now, this I agree with.  He basically is what you can expect from $9 million a year these days.  I just think we all wanted a bargain, rather than a market value player.
The way I see it, he'll be a very reasonably paid and valuable third gun in the starting SF slot, who will contribute positively. The problem is that Rondo is a second gun, and we need a first-gun type of big, which is about the hardest thing to find in the game.

But sadly, in the world of salary cap NBA you pounce on whatever you can get, or you're left with nothing.

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Because I'm a Jeff Green hater, I have to point out that in this clip (a) he traveled and (b) he appears to be marked by randy foye, who is out of position, 5 inches shorter, and notoriously weak in the post.

traveling aside, though, green does have an excellent record of taking slow-footed shooting guards to the hole when they force right

(ed- that's Foye, not Raja Bell, apologies)

Tell me this doesn't have the potential to make Jeff Green one of the better post-up players in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5717fB_csMQ
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:03:44 PM by sofutomygaha »

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Because I'm a Jeff Green hater, I have to point out that in this clip (a) he traveled and (b) he appears to be marked by raja bell, who is out of position, ten years older, and 5 inches shorter
Stop the presses, someone in the NBA travelled and it wasn't called  ;D