Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127083 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tell me this doesn't have the potential to make Jeff Green one of the better post-up players in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5717fB_csMQ

I've been disappointed by Green's results in the post.  When he first came over from OKC, it seemed like he had some decent ability to score down low.  However, his results there have sucked.  27.5% shooting?  Come on.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Tell me this doesn't have the potential to make Jeff Green one of the better post-up players in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5717fB_csMQ

I've been disappointed by Green's results in the post.  When he first came over from OKC, it seemed like he had some decent ability to score down low.  However, his results there have sucked.  27.5% shooting?  Come on.

I will give Green one benefit of the doubt on the post stuff.  The teams spacing has been horrible in general all year, and that has really hurt him in the post.  That video never happens, because they never have that kind of spacing.  They always either have the paint clogged or guys able to both double Green, and still get back to their own man, because everyone is sitting at 15 feet. 

If you can get Green on an open side of the floor like he is in that video, I think he would be a much bigger weapon. 

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Especially at his size, he certainly has the ability to shoot over most SFs in the league. His post-game is effective when used right... which means not playing him as PF, which is never going to happen until Paul Pierce is out.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Hahaha this thread title is hysterical.

Jeff Green is a joke. A dog. He's terrible. He will not ever be good. He will ever start on a winning team.

The Thunder?

Haha. Burn.

Was it though? Were they THAT good when he started there? Weren't they happy to get rid of him? Didn't they instantly improve when they gave those minutes to Ibaka?

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Potential gets coaches fired. Potential blows up teams...

I am tired of hearing what Green COULD do... for $40 mill let me see what he DOES do.

Guys a joke, and anyone who can't see that this guy is under performing (again, $40 mill) is looking at things through Green Goggles.

Think Doc is happy with Jeff Green?

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Jeff Green is a joke. A dog. He's terrible. He will not ever be good. He will ever start on a winning team.

The Thunder?

Haha. Burn.

Was it though? Were they THAT good when he started there? Weren't they happy to get rid of him? Didn't they instantly improve when they gave those minutes to Ibaka?

They were 42-23 when Jeff Green left and he was averaging 15.2/5.6 which was third on the team in points and second in rebounds... the Thunder were a solid contender, having only had ONE three-game losing streak that WHOLE SEASON, and that was only because the trade had just occurred. Green can be a starter on a contender.

I am tired of hearing what Green COULD do... for $40 mill let me see what he DOES do.

Guys a joke, and anyone who can't see that this guy is under performing (again, $40 mill) is looking at things through Green Goggles.

Why is he signed for a four-year contract rather than a one-year contract? One word: potential. Why else would we draft Fab Melo? He's not a 22-pick at all, playing at his current ability... it's his potential that we got him for.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:25:32 PM by CelticConcourse »
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The Thunder?

Haha. Burn.

They were 42-23 when Jeff Green left.

Why is he signed for a four-year contract rather than a one-year contract? One word: potential. Why else would we draft Fab Melo? He's not a 22-pick at all, playing at his current ability... it's his potential that we got him for.

Melo is young.  Melo has not played in the NBA and can still show growth.

Green hasn't shown improvement in what, 5 seasons? 

Green is the player that he is.  A good SF, not a star. 

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Potential goes out the window once you make 8+ million a year.

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For $40 million, you will have to wait until the end of his contract.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Even Ersan İlyasova re-signed with the Bucks a 5 year, $40 million dollar contract, and he's playing WAY worse than Jeff Green.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Even Ersan İlyasova re-signed with the Bucks a 5 year, $40 million dollar contract, and he's playing WAY worse than Jeff Green.

That makes overpaying Green all worth it.  Someone else overpayed another player. 

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

That makes overpaying Green all worth it.  Someone else overpayed another player.

What I'm trying to tell you is that Green will undoubtedly get better. People don't pay $40 million just because they want to, they do it for a reason, and Jeff Green's future is the reason. All teams will pay for potential, and so have the Celtics, we'll just have to see if it pays off. And I think it will.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2013, 01:32:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What I'm trying to tell you is that Green will undoubtedly get better. People don't pay $40 million just because they want to, they do it for a reason, and Jeff Green's future is the reason. All teams will pay for potential, and so have the Celtics, we'll just have to see if it pays off. And I think it will.

I'm sure that's what the Celtics kept saying after they gave Blount that contract.

Or Gerald Green

Can someone show one piece of actual evidence that Green has improved over the years?  Everything I see looks like a consistent play level year after year.

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Hey, you can staff your roster entirely with vet minimum players. This way, it's mathematically impossible to overpay anyone. Wouldn't it be great to have a roster chock full of folks that perform at or above their pay grade?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Can someone show one piece of actual evidence that Green has improved over the years?  Everything I see looks like a consistent play level year after year.
Even if he remains a 15 ppg / 6 rpg per 35 minutes player for the duration of his contract... what exactly were you hoping to get for a contract that averages 9 million a year?