Author Topic: The Jeff Green thread  (Read 127054 times)

Re: Jeff Green - top 5 SF in 2 years
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Jeff Green is exactly the same player he was before heart surgery.  I wish Green supporters would stop using that as an excuse.  I don't see any medical professionals saying that Green isn't 100%, and id be shocked if they would let him play if he wasn't.

Green is what he is - and has been remarkably consistent - as a mediocre player who puts up mediocre stats when given big minutes.  He hasn't adapted at all to a 6th man role, doesn't warm to the game quickly when he gets on the floor, and isn't a go getter.  Tons of talent, but forgive the pun, very little heart (and balls). 

People who defend him see the few moments when he looks tremendous and figure "why can't Green do that all the time."  Well he can't.  The guy has never had a high motor.  Giving him 4 years guaranteed at $36 million was idiotic. One can hope that he morphs into a point every two minute 6th man who plays solid defense, but right now, that looks like a prayer.   

I agree with all of this until you get to the contract part.

I still think he is making market value for a guy of his level (not a bargain, but not an albatross either), and while I would have preferred getting him cheaper, signing him to that contract keeps the salary slot open, and I think he is still very movable, and would probably bring back positive (albeit minimal) value.

« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Paul Pierce at a relatively same age as Green was putting up 25-26 ppg, 6-7 rpg, and 4-5 apg on a year in year out basis.

Those numbers dominate Green's best year.

Please don't insult Pierce by trying to say Green was or is anywhere near the player Pierce was or is. In Pierce's worst year at the age of 35, Pierce is still significantly better than Green was in his best season.

The comparison is preposterous.

Yeah. I am a Jeff Green supporter. I think he is a fine back up SF for us and people are putting way to much pressure on him to put up crazy numbers and be our savior...

But you're right. Preparing him to Pierce is completely preposterous.

« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2013, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Paul Pierce at a relatively same age as Green was putting up 25-26 ppg, 6-7 rpg, and 4-5 apg on a year in year out basis.

Please don't insult Pierce by trying to say Green was or is anywhere near the player Pierce was or is. In Pierce's worst year at the age of 35, Pierce is still significantly better than Green was in his best season.

yea...Paul Pierce is/was great. obvious stat is obvious.

The point IM trying to make is Jeff can be productive if people STOP saying Jeff should be the next Paul Pierce. Holding Jeff to these numbers is ridic, obviously. 15/6 is solid. How isn't it?

« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
What do you guys say now? After Green essentially won us tonight's game, and played phenomenal defense on the best player living in this world? That, in addition to some big plays, like that three-ball and that block on Allen, and finally.... the game winning defense on LeBron?

Still don't think he's a great SF?

He has the talent, just not the consistency... yet.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Yeah. I am a Jeff Green supporter. I think he is a fine back up SF for us and people are putting way to much pressure on him to put up crazy numbers and be our savior...

But you're right. Preparing him to Pierce is completely preposterous.

I am saying that our current Green is just as good as our current Pierce, except for the clutchness maybe.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Guys Green played well but James dropped 34 on us and shot a tad under 50% for the game. I think Barbosa stepped us big time too.

« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Guys Green played well but James dropped 34 on us and shot a tad under 50% for the game. I think Barbosa stepped us big time too.

When we needed it most, he stepped up huge, MANY TIMES in a row! Clamp clamp!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What do you guys say now? After Green essentially won us tonight's game, and played phenomenal defense on the best player living in this world? That, in addition to some big plays, like that three-ball and that block on Allen, and finally.... the game winning defense on LeBron?

Still don't think he's a great SF?

He has the talent, just not the consistency... yet.

Jeff Green won us the game?

What game?

Green played well, but it was a complete team effort.

By the way, Pierce was the one who hit the game winner.

« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Green is picking up his game; but Green is not a max contract guy. He does not have the control and looses concentration in key moments. He may be top 10; but not a regular All Star.

« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I wonder if Jeff has to much Toine in him.  He shows the flash to take it to the hoop, but settles for the outside shot too much.  Thought???  I can only think of what might have been if Toine would have gotten it into his head that he was a low post player!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Woah. Green showed up... he is being paid to perform every game as he did this afternoon. Still a massive underachiever. And seeing that dunk, and the rebounds, makes me nauseous more than happy. Completely lacks grit.

KG and Pierce won us that game. Talk about grit. Terry and others stepped up, too. Barbosa and he ran well in the 4th... couldn't understand Doc's rotations at all, it was like musical Celtics, but it worked!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Have to add that I was really impressed with both Bradley and Lee's defense.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
1. No he is STILL NOT a great small forward. Please stop.

2. Lebron James had 34 points today

3. Green had a very nice game. That is two in a row. Now, does he disappear as usual for the next 2-3 games.

This stuff is so ridiculous it makes me cringe.

« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
A major question i had for Jeff Green was his ability to get buckets when matched up against All-Star SF's... guys like Lebron and Deng have held him to nothing. But today he actually showed me a little bit.

His footwork still blows though.

« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2013, 04:55:50 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
1. No he is STILL NOT a great small forward. Please stop.

2. Lebron James had 34 points today

3. Green had a very nice game. That is two in a row. Now, does he disappear as usual for the next 2-3 games.

This stuff is so ridiculous it makes me cringe.

You neglected to look at the minutes played.  Lebron averages 26.4 PPG in 38.4 MPG.  Lebron played 52 minutes today.  His average per 52 minutes is 35.75 PPG.

Plus Lebron was fired up today and was feeling it - the majority of shots he made were contested about as well as is physically possible.

Without the defense Green played on him I'm estimating he'd have had 45 - 50 in this game, and considering we only won by two that is more than enough to make the difference between a W and an L tonight.

Make no mistake - Green defended him well.