Author Topic: Think you can beat Scal one-on-one? It's doubtful...  (Read 9464 times)

Think you can beat Scal one-on-one? It's doubtful...
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Scal got ragged on here quite a bit, to the point where fans underestimated how talented he was.  Apparently that got under Scal's skin:

Over 11 NBA seasons, journeyman forward Brian Scalabrine cultivated an image of a regular guy who just happened to play basketball. Eventually, many fans came to believe that Scalabrine was an Average Joe, not an elite athlete (as all NBA players are), and figured that he probably wasn't that great at the profession that earned him tens of millions of dollars. This summer, Scalabrine said that he resented this suggestion (even if he also heartily embraced the regular guy image), and in December he challenged any Boston-area amateur basketball players to games of one-on-one.

On Monday, Scalabrine faced four hand-picked competitors. He destroyed them all. From CBS Boston (via TBJ):

Scalabrine, who retired over the summer after a very serviceable 11-year NBA career, took on four of Boston’s best ballers in 98.5 The Sports Hub’s 1-on-1 “Scallenge,” put on by morning hosts Toucher & Rich.

Listeners sent in their try-out videos, showing off their skills and talking some trash towards Scal, but it turns out even Boston’s best was no match for Scalabrine. [...]

Scalabrine — who spent the last few seasons of his career seen as the “human victory cigar” — easily defeated all four of his opponents, throwing down monstrous jams and sinking smooth jumpers as he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6.

That link also features a 30-minute video of the action, and it becomes very clear very quickly that Scalabrine is on another level from these athletes. Even against decent competition — the first challenger, Matt Tomaszewski, was on Syracuse's roster just last season — Scalabrine owned everyone. The second and third games were both shutouts, and the six points scored included one two-pointer. In four games, Scalabrine conceded just five baskets.

The guy was a pre-season All-America, and had a long NBA career.  He's better than many think he is.  Good for Scal for shutting down his critics.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Think you can beat Scal one-on-one? It's doubtful...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just a question, were any of the dudes that played against him even close to his height?

One thing I've learned is, when dealing with average ball players (the kind you'd find at the park), a heighth disadvantage is almost impossible to deal with 1v1.

Scal is a legit 6'9" isn't he?

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Why would anyone really think they have a shot at beating a guy who played multiple years in the NBA on good teams as well. People are just dumb.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/22/toucher-richs-scallenge-no-challenge-for-brian-scalabrine/

Worth a watch.

Good to see a (former) Celtic winning for a change.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Just a question, were any of the dudes that played against him even close to his height?

One thing I've learned is, when dealing with average ball players (the kind you'd find at the park), a heighth disadvantage is almost impossible to deal with 1v1.

The first guy in the video, Matt Tomaszewski, played at Syracuse (walk-on, I believe) and is 6'8".

The second guy, Jake Fay, is 6'5" and has a bball scholarship to Fordham (high school class of 2013).  (Looks like he also had an offer from UMass).

Can't find anything on the 3rd guy, Rich Morantus.

And can't find a height on the last guy, Jon Hazzard, but he played D3 at Salve Regina University.

At least 2 D1 guys and a D3, not complete scrubs, but just shows how elite NBA players are.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:41:15 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The first guy in the video, Matt Tomaszewski, played at Syracuse (walk-on, I believe) and is 6'8".

Yeah the first guy was the only one who gave him any kind of a challenge and he looked to be an inch or two shorter.  But not nearly as big in terms of build.  Scal looks like a MAN compared to these boys he's playing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:49 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

That's unbelievably false.  One of biggest misconceptions in sports.  Maybe the average tall basketball player has more incentive to work on his game, but what you're saying simply isn't true, ESPECIALLY 1 on 1.  A decent speed advantage can be much more deadly if used properly and more so than in a team setting where angles are a bigger factor.

Plus we're only talking about a couple inches here.  Though even a foot+ wouldn't change any sort of difference in skill.  Nate Robinson could easily hand any college player his lunch with only 1 man between him and the basket.

I've been eagerly waiting for the Scallenge since he told us about it.  I fully expected this outcome, especially considering his biggest strength was defense.  I knew nobody would be able to beat him with only the dribble, otherwise they'd have their choice of college or already be playing overseas.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:29:52 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
What is really impressive watching those videos is his footwork on defense. He just did not let any of these guys get where they wanted to go.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:39 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
What is really impressive watching those videos is his footwork on defense. He just did not let any of these guys get where they wanted to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KfQyaTLMYs&noredirect=1
Philly:

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:56:13 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

That's unbelievably false.  One of biggest misconceptions in sports.  Maybe the average tall basketball player has more incentive to work on his game, but what you're saying simply isn't true, ESPECIALLY 1 on 1.  A decent speed advantage can be much more deadly if used properly and more so than in a team setting where angles are a bigger factor.

You are wrong, sorry.

Put a short guy against a tall guy and the tall guy just backs down the little guy into the post.  The tall guy woudn't need a whole lot of skill to do so either, just a strength advantage.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:24 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

Yeah the first guy was the only one who gave him any kind of a challenge and he looked to be an inch or two shorter.  But not nearly as big in terms of build.  Scal looks like a MAN compared to these boys he's playing.

The third guy fought him a lot harder than the score indicated.  He was the only guy who could occasionally generate open looks for himself.  His shots just weren't falling. 

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 06:06:46 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

You are wrong, sorry.

Put a short guy against a tall guy and the tall guy just backs down the little guy into the post.  The tall guy woudn't need a whole lot of skill to do so either, just a strength advantage.
Because you say so?  You have no evidence for this whatsoever.
Philly:

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You are wrong, sorry.

Height is a huge advantage in basketball, but it doesn't trump all other physical attributes or skills.  There are defensive tricks that one can use to stop a bigger guy who is just trying to back his way into the post against you. 

If he's got more than a foot on you and even a little basketball skill, then you are definitely fighting an uphill battle, but I know from personal experience that players who are taller, but slower and less skilled, can be beaten by shorter players in a game of one on one. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Couple things.

1. This was more of a fun contest than anything. Scal wasn't proving critics wrong. It was a fun bit he basically did with Toucher and Rich.

2. I don't think any contestants thought they had a prayer. It was more of a story to tell and a fun chance to play one on one. I griefs to get my buddy who played d3 but he wasn't into it. Although he did have a strategy if he were to play him.

Also people talking about a height advantage. There was a 10 second shot clock so its not like he could really take hos time. Anyone who doesn't.think Scal is that good is an idiot.

And im sure smaller scrubs like Gabe Pruitt would abuse these guys too. Same with a 45 year old dana barrows