Poll

How would you rather see Pierce end his career?

Plays out this year and next on Celtics, who get swept in 1st round twice in a row; retires a Celtic.
17 (68%)
Gets traded to a contender before the Feb 21st deadline, competes for a championship this season and next, wins at least once, then retires.
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Paul Pierce Fans: Pick Your Poison  (Read 3238 times)

Paul Pierce Fans: Pick Your Poison
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm giving you two obviously bad options.

The point here is NOT to debate the likelihood of either scenario.  These are your options.

Pick one (please).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Paul Pierce Fans: Pick Your Poison
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:27 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I picked him winning another championship.

If you can guarantee Pierce getting another championship verse him staying with us and getting swept in the first round I would never be that selfish.

Of course this is assuming Pierce ok'd the trade leaves on a good note.

I would love to see him (and KG) win another as it would cement their legacy even more

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What are we getting for him in a trade? And is he ok with it?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
What are we getting for him in a trade? And is he ok with it?

You can fill in the blanks for yourself.  What do you think would happen?  But these are your options.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Wouldn't it be extremely selfish to say you'd rather Pierce get swept in the first round the next couple years than win a 1 or 2 championships as he rides off into retirement?

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Clippers would be the ideal situation for Pierce. He could replace Butler and complete their lineup.

Maybe the C's could get Bledsoe? Probably a pipe dream I know.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Clippers would be the ideal situation for Pierce. He could replace Butler and complete their lineup.

Maybe the C's could get Bledsoe? Probably a pipe dream I know.

That's the trade I've been imagining for a couple of weeks now.

Some people around here don't think very highly of Bledsoe, but I think he's a pretty nice prospect who is a great athlete and already a talented scorer.  I'd love to see him and Bradley next to each other.

Would only really make sense if Danny also trades Rondo somewhere.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't really care what happens to Pierce. I only care about what's best for the team.

It would be nice if he finished his career here but if it benefits the team to move him along prior to that ... then they should do so.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't really care what happens to Pierce. I only care about what's best for the team.

It would be nice if he finished his career here but if it benefits the team to move him along prior to that ... then they should do so.

I agree, although I also like Paul Pierce a lot and hate to see him waste the last couple years of his career on a team going nowhere.  I want to see him hitting big shots in big games for a team with a chance.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think the ship sailed on trading Pierce for anything of substance.  And if the rumors are true, we already tried trading him multiple times and Pierce always finds a way to kill the deal.   It's not so easy as just trading him to a team like the Nuggets... he's gotta want to report to the Nuggets.  Pierce has a foot in retirement already.  He would have quit had KG not returned.  Fair to say that if we tried trading him to a team he didn't want to play for, he'd just say "Nah I'll retire if you trade me" and the other team would back out. 

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think the ship sailed on trading Pierce for anything of substance.  And if the rumors are true, we already tried trading him multiple times and Pierce always finds a way to kill the deal.   It's not so easy as just trading him to a team like the Nuggets... he's gotta want to report to the Nuggets.  Pierce has a foot in retirement already.  He would have quit had KG not returned.  Fair to say that if we tried trading him to a team he didn't want to play for, he'd just say "Nah I'll retire if you trade me" and the other team would back out.

Yeah, I think you're probably right.

But if they find a way to trade him to a top team like the Clippers or Spurs or even a team like the Warriors?  I think he would give that a chance.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I picked stay with the C's only because I think that is probably what PP wants to do.  Ring or no ring I think at this point PP wants to retire a Celtic and I am fine with that.  I can't see him wanting to get traded to the Clips for a chance at another ring with guys he has no connection with.
I see him more like KG than like RA.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
option one.  he is a celtic.  i have said it here for yrs...for me personally, his playing his entire career and retiring a celtic would be as special as a championship.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I care what happens to Pierce. He has done a lot for this franchise. He was the Celtics before KG got here. Gotta hold on to him and let him retire a Celtic. I would be sick to my stomach if Danny ever moved him for something like future picks and eric bledsoe.. Pierce was loyal all these years that the Celtics Sucked time to show some back to Paul.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Option 2 is not an option unless Pierce is willing.

I've seen little evidence Pierce is willing.