Author Topic: We need Size::We need Gasol  (Read 13920 times)

Re: We need Size::We need Gasol
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Celts get:  Pau
Lakers get:  Sully, Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Courtney Lee

Why the C's do it:  The time is now for the C's championship window, before KG and Pierce are done, which means rolling the dice.  Pau, who played GREAT in the Olympics allows KG to play the 4, while putting Pau on the block where he belongs.  It dumps Green's terrible contract, and while losing Sully is tough, its not as tough as watching the C's play .500 ball for the end of Pierce and KG's prime.  This means more minutes for Wilcox and Barbosa and possibly picking up Delonte West or someone similar since they're losing a lot of guards, but a very bright side for Doc's "Guys gotta go" could be bringing in a big guy who would be top 5 in the East if played properly. 

Why the Lakers do it:  They only do it if they are committing to D'Antoni's style of fast paced ball.  Jeff Green would thrive in this system.  They get much needed shooting from Terry.  Sully has proven to be the steal of the draft.  Lee gives them toughness on D.  It means taking on more long term salary, but it upgrades a lot of positions for them while dumping someone who is unhappy and doesn't fit with D'Antoni. 

Who says no?

Worst trade idea ever.

Sullinger is already probaby better for us than Gasol on his own!

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
My point is that there is no reason to make that trade to us of all people for 3 mediocre players on long term deals.

Im not a gm and I can't think of every player and contract off the top of my head but I can't wrap my head around this.

Mayne if 2 of them were expiring, or maybe if one of then was at least having a good year. Can't you scrounge up 3 players who are mediocre on a lot of teams ans propose the same thing. But with less long term salary?

I think the Denver deal works. Dantoni loves gallo. The other guys are expiring. Denver needs a premier player to go to the next level. Pau would be their best guy.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I'd do this Pierce for Pau deal, in theory, if we had some kind of viable alternative at small forward.

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I like the trade. We dominate the paint. We SCORE actual real live POINTS in the paint consistently! We might get a few extra rebounds a game!

Jeff Green takes over the 3 spot. Re-sign Kris Joseph or whomever else is available to back up Jeff. Lee might be able to do some spot duty here. 

Rondo, Bradley, Green, KG, Pau
Barbosa, Jet, Lee, Sully, Bass/Wilcox/Melo

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I like the trade. We dominate the paint. We SCORE actual real live POINTS in the paint consistently! We might get a few extra rebounds a game!

Jeff Green takes over the 3 spot. Re-sign Kris Joseph or whomever else is available to back up Jeff. Lee might be able to do some spot duty here. 

Rondo, Bradley, Green, KG, Pau
Barbosa, Jet, Lee, Sully, Bass/Wilcox/Melo

TP for you for answering the very good question that sofutomygaha (TP) asked.

I knew that this was also my one main issues when I did the OP. Since we are including Bass in the trade, I'd like to get Earl Clark from the Fakers. Clark and Green could man the SF spot.

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think Pierce for Pau makes a lot of sense for both clubs and both players.

Lakers & Pierce: Pierce settling in as a 2nd option behind Kobe, usually against the opponent's lesser wing defender, would really improve his efficiency, and he's such a good complementary player with his shooting and passing.  A big upgrade on MWP in that role (and MWP going to the bench as a combo forward behind Pierce and Clark kicks the dreadful Antawn Jamison out of the rotation).  Pierce is also a pretty easy-going teammate - been chummy with Kobe in the past and pretty content to "give the game what it needs" as a 3rd banana.

The Lakers would take a hit to their center rotation, with no true size other than Sacre behind Howard.  Perhaps we could throw in Wilcox - a nice fit with D'Antoni.

There's also the fact that Pierce does nothing to address their age/speed problem.  But I think adding high-impact talent is more important consideration to the Lake Show than just getting younger and faster.

Pau & Celtics: Pau is just a dream fit for Doc, KG and the Celtic's offense.  Doc is absolutely dedicated to getting the ball into the post and KG is a great compliment to a post-oriented big like Pau with his elite mid-range game and high post passing.  Pau to makes KG more dangerous in the post by drawing the bigger defender and boasting a brilliant passing/facilitating skillset of his own.  Then you have the always accommodating Rondo who will work to feed Gasol in his preferred spots.  Pau also would give us a nice boost on the boards compared to Bass/Collins, and decent shot-blocking as well.

Bringing in Pau would bring up some issues defensively - we'd get slower moving KG to the 4 alongside Pau at the 5 (though with how slow Bass has been playing this year, I don't think it would be much of a drop off).  We'd also be left with Green as our only wing defender with size and pretty slim pickings in free agency to back him up.

Offensively, the downgrade from Pierce to Green hurts already tenuous floor-spacing, but I like Green, Lee and Bradley enough from the corners and Terry from anywhere to be comfortable. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
From the following article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--forget-kobe-dwight--the-lakers-will-pay-for-doubling-down-on-failed-reunion-tour-of-d-antoni-nash-094336411.html

"Nevertheless, D'Antoni has marginalized Gasol, leaving him livid and privately expecting to be traded before the February deadline for an athletic forward who fits his coaching designs"

Athletic forward: Jeff Green who would thrive playing off of Kobe and Nash.

Offer up some combo of Jeff Green and parts (Barbosa, Lee, Terry) and I think this trade can help us.

Right now, we don't have an offensive player that puts pressure on the other defense when our normal offense isn't going (pierce just can't do it consistently anymore).  We either need a slasher at the two guard spot (the mayo for ray trade would have been great), a PG who is willing to do it (Rondo for Paul would have been great, or Rondo doing it would be great), or we need a legitimate guy we can drop the ball down to (Gasol fits the bill).

Should help us for the duration of KGs deal and allows rondo to remain a pass first threat rather than morphing into a scoring guard which is not in his DNA.  Should help both our offense and our other issue.  Rebounding.

I'm on board!  For green and parts yes.  For pierce though.  No way.

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Lakers & Pierce: Pierce settling in as a 2nd option behind Kobe, usually against the opponent's lesser wing defender, would really improve his efficiency, and he's such a good complementary player with his shooting and passing.  A big upgrade on MWP in that role (and MWP going to the bench as a combo forward behind Pierce and Clark kicks the dreadful Antawn Jamison out of the rotation).  Pierce is also a pretty easy-going teammate - been chummy with Kobe in the past and pretty content to "give the game what it needs" as a 3rd banana.

The Lakers would take a hit to their center rotation, with no true size other than Sacre behind Howard.  Perhaps we could throw in Wilcox - a nice fit with D'Antoni.

There's also the fact that Pierce does nothing to address their age/speed problem.  But I think adding high-impact talent is more important consideration to the Lake Show than just getting younger and faster.

Pau & Celtics: Pau is just a dream fit for Doc, KG and the Celtic's offense.  Doc is absolutely dedicated to getting the ball into the post and KG is a great compliment to a post-oriented big like Pau with his elite mid-range game and high post passing.  Pau to makes KG more dangerous in the post by drawing the bigger defender and boasting a brilliant passing/facilitating skillset of his own.  Then you have the always accommodating Rondo who will work to feed Gasol in his preferred spots.  Pau also would give us a nice boost on the boards compared to Bass/Collins, and decent shot-blocking as well.

Bringing in Pau would bring up some issues defensively - we'd get slower moving KG to the 4 alongside Pau at the 5 (though with how slow Bass has been playing this year, I don't think it would be much of a drop off).  We'd also be left with Green as our only wing defender with size and pretty slim pickings in free agency to back him up.

Offensively, the downgrade from Pierce to Green hurts already tenuous floor-spacing, but I like Green, Lee and Bradley enough from the corners and Terry from anywhere to be comfortable.

Since we have to include Bass in the trade to 1. make the numbers work and 2. to compensate us for eating Pau's contract at a gamble and them getting the flexibility of PP's contract, they have to eat Bass', then we still need to get something back, moneywise.

Earl Clark is my first choice. While he has been starting instead of Pau, physically he is almost a Jeff Green prototype, so his natural position is SF. My second choice would be the currently out-injured Jordan Hill.

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Since we have to include Bass in the trade to 1. make the numbers work and 2. to compensate us for eating Pau's contract at a gamble and them getting the flexibility of PP's contract, they have to eat Bass', then we still need to get something back, moneywise.

Earl Clark is my first choice. While he has been starting instead of Pau, physically he is almost a Jeff Green prototype, so his natural position is SF. My second choice would be the currently out-injured Jordan Hill.

Bass doesn't have to be included to make the numbers work.  Pau makes only $2.2 mil more than Pierce and we have $2.7 mil of room under the apron.  I know Pau has a 15% trade kicker, but due to various CBA regulations it amounts to something like a 4% kick and the cap burden for paying it falls to the team trading him I believe.

I think Bass for Clark is too much of a poison pill in this deal - the Lakers are already giving up the younger star.  That's compensation enough for the cost savings and flexibility of Pierce's deal. Getting Ebanks thrown in is probably the best we could hope for in terms of Laker sweeteners.

For wing depth post Pau/Pierce swap, I'd look for a smaller follow-up deal.  Bass to Washington for Ariza (the Wizards could use some jump-shooting) or Bass to Denver for Brewer/Randolph (Bass gives them a jump-shooting alternate to Faried) might work. 

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
What about this:

LAL get: JET, Green, Bass, 1st rounder
BOS get: Pau

I know it leaves us thin at SF, but you know what?  KG and Pau, WOW!  Would the Lakers be interested in this type of package though is the question...
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
What about this:

I know it leaves us thin at SF, but you know what?  KG and Pau, WOW!  Would the Lakers be interested in this type of package though is the question...

No they would not.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
sully is better than gasol. no need.

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
sully is better than gasol. no need.

Ok...um...yeah...speechless   ???

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
SInce we are talking trading with the enemy.... why not just trade the Captain/ Green/ Lee for Kobe.

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What about this:

No they would not.

If they knew what was good for them they'd be interested.  Green, Bass and Terry is about asgood of a return for Pau as they are ever going to get.  I just can't fathom any team out there offering more.

Then again, if they knew what they were doing they never would have hired Mr. Pringles as coach.  The Lakers are light years worse of a mess than the C's right now.  At least we have that.