Author Topic: We need Size::We need Gasol  (Read 13843 times)

Re: We need Size::We need Gasol
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Gasol's season has been so bad, there is no way the Celtics should move Pierce for him.
This team is going nowhere as constructed. Moving Pierce, who's clearly lost a step, and hoping that Gasol will bounce back and Green will play better with more minutes is not an unreasonable gamble (though a gamble nonetheless).

My sentiments exactly.

We are unfortunately in a position now where we have to gamble. I feel that it is a measured gamble, and not really the depserate times, desperate measures type that I said in my OP.

My hope that this is not unrealistic in terms of potentially happening is buoyed by the fact that some of the responders in this thread think that the Fakers never do it, some think that the Cs never do it.

Maybe that means it has a chance. Change of scenery would do both guys good.

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 01:46:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Gasol's season has been so bad, there is no way the Celtics should move Pierce for him.
This team is going nowhere as constructed. Moving Pierce, who's clearly lost a step, and hoping that Gasol will bounce back and Green will play better with more minutes is not an unreasonable gamble (though a gamble nonetheless).

I'd say it is absolutely an unreasonable gamble.  Even if it isn't, it is still a gamble.

This simple fact makes it a foolishly bad idea to trade Pierce for Gasol.

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 01:47:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
For both teams, trading Pierce + Bass for Gasol would make too much [dang] sense.  It would probably solve the problems of both teams.

Boston's 4th best player is Jeff Green, but he's forced to back up the captain.  Moving Pierce allows him to plug into the starting lineup where he belongs.   Pau is a starting center (all-star level when healthy) and would be magical next to KG.  He would solve most of our long-running issues.  We haven't had a starting big next to KG since Shaq broke.

PG - Rondo
SG - Lee/Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
SF - Green
PF - KG
C - Pau

I have no doubt that would be an improved team.

But the thought of trading Pierce to the Lakers makes me sick.   I couldn't do it.  Maybe if it sent Pierce to a 3rd team or something.  I also continue to operate under the assumption that Pierce would threaten retirement if we attempted to trade him.  Rumors say he has already blocked multiple trade attempts in the past and I know he already has one foot in retirement already. 

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Gasol is good. But I prefer more Varejao

Out for the season.

I knwow he's coming back during playoff

Even if he does, that is the wrong time to try and teach a player the Celtic's system.

They need someone who can learn most of it during the regular season.

Yeah is true. But I am talking for the next future.

Gasol will be an enormous expiring next year. That can't hurt our future. And, he could be a big contributor for both years. He is only 32.

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

My sentiments exactly.

We are unfortunately in a position now where we have to gamble. I feel that it is a measured gamble, and not really the depserate times, desperate measures type that I said in my OP.

My hope that this is not unrealistic in terms of potentially happening is buoyed by the fact that some of the responders in this thread think that the Fakers never do it, some think that the Cs never do it.

Maybe that means it has a chance. Change of scenery would do both guys good.
It's going to be hard to part with Pierce. But in terms of roster needs, a trade centered around Pierce and Gasol addresses both teams pretty well.

The problem is that a big man that with issues below the waist can go downhill pretty fast. See Raef LaFrentz for a recent example.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I was hoping this would be a realistic idea.

I'd gladly take Gasol for Green/Bass/Terry (or Lee).

Trading our Captain for an almost as old Gasol is stupid.  Just plain stupid.

The Lakers don't have any leverage with Gasol.  His trade value is almost non-existant.

Fakers have said they won't take back 3 year deals that all 4 of our scraps that no one wants (Green, Lee, Bass, Terry) have.

Despite what they sayI think they would take one of those 4 (not 3 of the 4) plus the flexibility that Pierce's contract gives them.

Well, if the Lakers don't want these type of players, Gasol is going nowhere.  What team in their right mind would trade anything of real value for an older player with diminishing skills on a terrible contract?

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
For both teams, trading Pierce + Bass for Gasol would make too much [dang] sense.  It would probably solve the problems of both teams.

Boston's 4th best player is Jeff Green, but he's forced to back up the captain.  Moving Pierce allows him to plug into the starting lineup where he belongs.   Pau is a starting center (all-star level when healthy) and would be magical next to KG.  He would solve most of our long-running issues.  We haven't had a starting big next to KG since Shaq broke.

PG - Rondo
SG - Lee/Bradley/Terry/Barbosa
SF - Green
PF - KG
C - Pau

I have no doubt that would be an improved team.

But the thought of trading Pierce to the Lakers makes me sick.   I couldn't do it.  Maybe if it sent Pierce to a 3rd team or something.  I also continue to operate under the assumption that Pierce would threaten retirement if we attempted to trade him.  Rumors say he has already blocked multiple trade attempts in the past and I know he already has one foot in retirement already.

As a fellow Cs fan, LB33,  I fully understand where you are coming from. BUT, I still do it. Getting all the things that Gasol brings is too much to pass up...IF WE STILL WANT TO CONTEND.

As far as the Captain goes, obviously we can't speak for him, but getting a chance to end your career in your home town with a storied (albeit enemy) franchise, would be more than palatable for him, I would think. Again, we don't know what PP thinks.

Let's hope the opportunity to find out presents itself.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
soft size is useless

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I was hoping this would be a realistic idea.

I'd gladly take Gasol for Green/Bass/Terry (or Lee).

Trading our Captain for an almost as old Gasol is stupid.  Just plain stupid.

The Lakers don't have any leverage with Gasol.  His trade value is almost non-existant.

Fakers have said they won't take back 3 year deals that all 4 of our scraps that no one wants (Green, Lee, Bass, Terry) have.

Despite what they sayI think they would take one of those 4 (not 3 of the 4) plus the flexibility that Pierce's contract gives them.

Well, if the Lakers don't want these type of players, Gasol is going nowhere.  What team in their right mind would trade anything of real value for an older player with diminishing skills on a terrible contract?

As Koz said, it is a gamble. I think that it's worth it.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
We do need size but I'd throw up if we traded Pierce to the Lakers plus getting a Gasol that's clearly not the same.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
We do need size but I'd throw up if we traded Pierce to the Lakers plus getting a Gasol that's clearly not the same.

I am not sure if LAL need Pierce

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
orlando didnt want gasol cuz he sucks

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'm throwing up every time I see the team play right now, so I guess this is not much of an issue for me.

Pierce clearly isn't the same either, by the way -- has anyone else noticed that all his shots are practically line drives (including foul shots).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I am not sure if LAL need Pierce
LAL have no starting SF and have a surplus of big men. They need Pierce more than they need Gasol.

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love Gasol and would like his fit here but for the Captain no?

We need a young athletic big man who can play above the rim and block shots clogging up the paint. Gasol is getting old we are old enough, we need more young legs.