Author Topic: Kyrie > Rondo  (Read 54373 times)

Re: Kyrie > Rondo
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Love this kid.

Isn't that a travel?

He is quite a scorer though.

« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Love this kid.

Isn't that a travel?

He is quite a scorer though.

No, it's a nasty step back J.

This kid is going to be so good.  He's on his way to being the best PG in the league in a few years.

« Reply #257 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Imagine LeBron going back to join him in the summer of '14. Ouch.

A Lebron + Kyrie combination would be unstoppable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #258 on: February 17, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »

Offline YallahCeltics34

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I was one of the few that thought Derrick Williams from the T-Wolves was gonna be better than him. I didn't think Irving was gonna be a bust I just thought that Williams had a more competitive edge to him and that would make him more successful in the league.

boy was i wrong.....

« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Ah, Lebron, ever the front-runner.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He could sell that one as a Cinderella story, healing old wounds with his home city.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I remember a PG that used to score 30 points a game quite a bit. Whatever did happen to Allen Iverson?

He won an MVP, carried an extremely weak supporting cast to the NBA Finals, and will eventually be in the Hall of Fame?

Iverson was a great player.  Imagine a less selfish, extremely efficient version who happened to be a model citizen?  That's who Kyrie can be.

For this team, I'd be tempted to take prime Iverson over Rondo, too.  At least we'd have a chance at a title with Iverson.
Remembering the time Iverson went to the finals is like remembering the time Ben Wallace made a free throw.  Both are flukes.   If we had Iverson and Pierce both in their primes at the same time, Pierce would not be the Pierce that we know now.

« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I remember a PG that used to score 30 points a game quite a bit. Whatever did happen to Allen Iverson?

He won an MVP, carried an extremely weak supporting cast to the NBA Finals, and will eventually be in the Hall of Fame?

Iverson was a great player.  Imagine a less selfish, extremely efficient version who happened to be a model citizen?  That's who Kyrie can be.

For this team, I'd be tempted to take prime Iverson over Rondo, too.  At least we'd have a chance at a title with Iverson.
Remembering the time Iverson went to the finals is like remembering the time Ben Wallace made a free throw.  Both are flukes.   If we had Iverson and Pierce both in their primes at the same time, Pierce would not be the Pierce that we know now.

Rondo's also taken teams roughly as far as AI ever did as well, and done it at a younger age. I don't think that really adds up to having a chance at a title with Iverson and not with Rondo.

« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Rondo's also taken teams roughly as far as AI ever did as well, and done it at a younger age. I don't think that really adds up to having a chance at a title with Iverson and not with Rondo.
And Rondo does it EVERY year.  Not one year out of 13 or 14. 

« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That's nonsense. 

Iverson's fellow starters were George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Eric Snow, and Theo Ratliff (and later in the year, Dikembe).  In the playoffs, Jumaine Jones started 2/3 of Philly's games.

Rondo's were Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins.

I think there's a question about who "carried" Rondo's team to the Finals.  There's no question with Iverson's.

« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

That's nonsense. 

Iverson's fellow starters were George Lynch, Tyrone Hill, Eric Snow, and Theo Ratliff (and later in the year, Dikembe).  In the playoffs, Jumaine Jones started 2/3 of Philly's games.

Rondo's were Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kendrick Perkins.

I think there's a question about who "carried" Rondo's team to the Finals.  There's no question with Iverson's.

It's not nonsense. Those groups of players are a reflection of the kind of players Rondo is and AI was. Tough, defensive players who didn't need the ball in their hands were what worked best with AI, one of the most ball dominant volume shooters we've ever seen. You're giving AI credit for the lack of scoring on a team that was built to complement his style of play. Put better scorers on AI's teams and you wouldn't get the bump in play you seem to expect to see, much like the Heat, which by talent level should be among the most dominant teams in nba history.

« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

He could sell that one as a Cinderella story, healing old wounds with his home city.
Oh, he's the king of packaging stuff for the masses. But the truth is that with Wade breaking down, and Bosh being utterly replaceable, he really won't have anything to go back to in Miami.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
There's no doubt Irving is better than Rondo.

I am not even sure it's close.

« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
There's no doubt Irving is better than Rondo.

I am not even sure it's close.

Of course there is, unless your method of comparing players consists entirely of how much they score.

« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Love this kid.

Don't reach, young blood!
I like Marcus Smart