Author Topic: Kyrie > Rondo  (Read 54331 times)

Re: Kyrie > Rondo
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2013, 10:17:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I remember a PG that used to score 30 points a game quite a bit. Whatever did happen to Allen Iverson?

« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I remember a PG that used to score 30 points a game quite a bit. Whatever did happen to Allen Iverson?

He won an MVP, carried an extremely weak supporting cast to the NBA Finals, and will eventually be in the Hall of Fame?

Iverson was a great player.  Imagine a less selfish, extremely efficient version who happened to be a model citizen?  That's who Kyrie can be.

For this team, I'd be tempted to take prime Iverson over Rondo, too.  At least we'd have a chance at a title with Iverson.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2013, 11:00:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Tim, I think you jinxed Rondo.  Two straight triple-doubles, two straight losses.

Sadly, I think you're right about this.

The last two losses have been a great example of why I'd prefer a guy like Kyrie, though.  We just don't have a guy who can consistently dominate the fourth quarter.  Rondo, as great as his all-around contributions are, hasn't really been able to do that with any consistency.

I'm somewhat leery of having a point guard who's main skill is scoring. Also, while Irving's numbers may be better during his hot streak, compare his clutch numbers (per 48 minutes) from 82games to Rondo's:

Note, for shots I'm using shots + fta * .44

Irving:

42.5 points, 43.3 shots, 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 11 turnovers

Rondo:

13.3 points, 15 shots, 17 assists, 10 rebounds, 5 turnovers

Clearly you get more scoring from Irving but almost all of his turnovers are ball handling or offensive fouls so he's scoring a lot but not as efficient as you'd like. Our clutch offense with Rondo playing is actually better than the Cavs clutch offense with Irving playing.

« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2013, 11:02:52 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
different style. irving is awesome, mind you. he can score like crazy, and is pretty efficient at it (and is a good leader to boot). rondo's in a funk right now in that he's dribbling the ball into the ground (he didn't do this as much before) and making decisions geared towards assists vs. points. when rondo's right, i'd take him over irving, but with the understanding that he's not going to (probably) light it up with points. but...honestly...given our struggles on offense, doc needs to keep telling rondo to take over more often. rondo's jumper is much-improved, and he can beat anybody to the hole. he should still be a pass-first PG, but he needs to look to take over the game more than he has, because when rondo does that, we get easy baskets. and given the struggles of pierce and others, we really need easy buckets.

« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
10 clutch rebounds is impressive too.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

He won an MVP, carried an extremely weak supporting cast to the NBA Finals, and will eventually be in the Hall of Fame?

Iverson was a great player.  Imagine a less selfish, extremely efficient version who happened to be a model citizen?  That's who Kyrie can be.

For this team, I'd be tempted to take prime Iverson over Rondo, too.  At least we'd have a chance at a title with Iverson.
Don't get me wrong. I love Irving and don't need to be sold on him as a player. I just think, unlike Iverson, he will see that a PG that wants to lead his team to a title and be truly transcendental at the PG position has to make his team mates better by  making sure he gets the whole team involved since a PG has the ball in his hands so much.

Kyrie Irving hasn't learned that yet, though I am sure he will. Rondo was born with that in him. He doesn't have to learn it. For that reason, I want Rondo now. Two years from now, I will probably want Irving.

« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100

People forget how good AI was. I still have no idea how that Philly team (which was also dealing with crazy injuries) got to the Finals, and scared LA to death (every game was very close). It speaks volumes about him. He was an unbelievable player...at times completely unstoppable, which is unreal considering how small he was.

« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
One of the best PGs ever to live.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #249 on: January 27, 2013, 05:00:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Tim, I think you jinxed Rondo.  Two straight triple-doubles, two straight losses.

If we'd lost again I might have started a website named "nomoretripledoubles.com".

« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Okay....NOW Kyrie Irving is better than Rondo since Rondo can't play and Irving can.

« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Love this kid. 

« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Irving is spectacular.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Imagine LeBron going back to join him in the summer of '14. Ouch.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Kyrie>Bradley too.