Author Topic: The "blow up the team" merged thread  (Read 9124 times)

Re: The "blow up the team" merged thread
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I don't understand why ainge or anyone else for that matter thinks it's a good idea to stand pat?!

Because all other options are worse.

And because he gave KG a no-trade clause to convince him to come back.  So, standing pat is really not just Danny's decision.

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
As much as I would hate to see Pierce and Garnett go it has to happen.  Unless you want them to get nothing and suck for the next 10 years they have to start rebuilding now. They need to convince KG to expect a trade to the Clippers if that deal is on the table. Even if this team makes the playoffs they are 1 and done and then what? Rebuilding needs to start now!

Sorry but no it doesn't.

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
I don't get the value argument?  Isn't something better than nothing?  The only reason danny is keeping these guys is to keep pretending they have a chance to sell tickets to suckers and nostalgia.

Not when you have a business to run, and you have been packing the Garden since 2008 for every home game.  You think Wyc + Co. just want to "blow it up" and acquire "young assets" or think "something is better than nothing" when they know KG and Pierce and the current team (with or without Rondo) will go hard, be competitive and make the playoffs?

Do you think they want to be the Raptors?

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 07:56:48 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I don't get the value argument?  Isn't something better than nothing?  The only reason danny is keeping these guys is to keep pretending they have a chance to sell tickets to suckers and nostalgia.

Not when you have a business to run, and you have been packing the Garden since 2008 for every home game.  You think Wyc + Co. just want to "blow it up" and acquire "young assets" or think "something is better than nothing" when they know KG and Pierce and the current team (with or without Rondo) will go hard, be competitive and make the playoffs?

Agreed, although posters here would probably prefer the Raptors or LOLCats roster to ours it really isn't that bad. The team needs to add bodies and while KG and Pierce are healthy it's a championship core. You add someone like Smoothe to the mix without dealing KG or Pierce and you're competing for a title. The fact in the NBA is that very few teams ever get that championship window, you need to take advantage. Pierre's contract runs through next year and he'll probably retire...same with KG...Rondo's contract I think is up then too...the summer of 2014 is supposedly a pretty good free agent class...would you trade that flexibility for the right to add Jordan? Is Bledsoe really that good? If they keep KG and Pierce it will not set them back at all. It's still a fairly attractive destination (Rivers, Titles) that players want to play at. I'm tired of posters making it look like Boston is in Siberia and that no one wants to go there....stop crying and enjoy one of those rare title windows.

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:12 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I just want Bledsoe man.

Bledsoe isn't Rondo or Irving or Rose...he is currently CP3's backup that has potential to be good. Jordan is an overrated player on a bad contract...why do we want to trade KG for them? The Celtics will do something...they've now lost a few games in a row but I wouldn't read too much into tonight as they were operating on a back to back they have a 10 or 11 man roster right now. The Celtics problems could be fixed as easy as making a deal for Gortat. This team doesn't need to be blown up yet

So what, bledsoe is a backup to the best point guard in the league, and? If this team stays as is I will be really disappointed. We have no chance at a championship. If we can make some trades for some good talent Id do it. Watching this team be the atlanta hawks of the NBA is not fun.

You understand the difference between this team and the Hawks, correct? The Hawks were mismanaged for years because of an unstable ownership situation which forced them to give out the worst max contract in recent memory that would still be on the roster if Billy King didn't get rehired. Two completely different situations, but some of these proposals would make us the Atlanta Hawks by taking on bad contracts (Jordan) and late round picks. As you said "Bledsoe is a backup PG" so why the hell are we trading KG for a backup PG and a bad contract? By the way I disagree that this team could be fixed with a Gortat deal...less wear and tear on KG at the 5 but the lineup would be much more efficient by jettisoning Bass for a much more talented player. You get a real center in here and the window is wide open again.

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2013, 08:24:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If many of the trades rumored happens, we will be in misery.

I just keep seeing the Knicks at the end of Ewings run.  They traded their older players towards the end of their contracts for "nice" players making "great" money for longer periods of time.  How long did it take the Knicks to dig out of that mess? 

Sometimes, you just have to let a team die of natural causes.  Sure, you do the smaller stuff (trimming the higher payed role players) but let the big stuff expire on it's own. 

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
To me the best course of action is to blow it up... If we can get decent value for pierce and kg. That is a big if since few teams are willing to give up young assets in this climate. If we can't get good value it makes more sense to keep them and use their cap space after they retire to end the year, that space is more valuable than a bad trade offer
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We've been in need of a big since dic ran darko outta town.  Either get us a big or get rid of doc.

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
We've been in need of a big since dic ran darko outta town.  Either get us a big or get rid of doc.
Darko the greatest center that never got off the bench....

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I just keep seeing the Knicks at the end of Ewings run.  They traded their older players towards the end of their contracts for "nice" players making "great" money for longer periods of time.  How long did it take the Knicks to dig out of that mess? 

Sometimes, you just have to let a team die of natural causes.  Sure, you do the smaller stuff (trimming the higher payed role players) but let the big stuff expire on it's own.

Another false analogy.

The Knicks were so bad for so long because Isiah.  No further argument is required.

Isiah.

Are the Celtics going to hire Isiah as GM?   
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Another false analogy.

The Knicks were so bad for so long because Isiah.  No further argument is required.

Isiah.

He's saying that's an Isiah as GM type move, Isiah didn't make them bad because of his sexual harrassing or his aura. He made them bad with his bad moves.

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

No, I think they'd rather be the Hawks for a few years than be the Magic or the Hornets for a while after next season.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Another false analogy.

Isiah.

He's saying that's an Isiah as GM type move, Isiah didn't make them bad because of his sexual harrassing or his aura. He made them bad with his bad moves.

I understand, but I disagree. 

If all the Celtics ever did was trade for or sign players like Jordan and Smith to bigger deals, then they'd probably be mired in mediocrity.  But such a move at this juncture would simply be about positioning the team to have significant trade assets beyond this season or next. 

It doesn't mean their entire organizational philosophy suddenly shifts.  The reasoning just doesn't follow for me that because you look to get what you can out of KG and Pierce before they retire that you're going to commit to mediocrity long term. 

I would agree with that reasoning if I thought the Celtics were trying to make such a trade because they actually believed a core of Rondo / Green / Smith / Jordan is going to win anything of consequence.  That would be madness.  But I don't think that's what's going on.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Another false analogy.

Isiah.

Isiah wasn't he GM at the time.  He came in later to the mess that was left over and compounded it by doing more of the same. 

And lets be honest, the players those Knicks teams brought in were probably thought higher of then who the Celtics may bring in.  (Rice, Marbury)