Author Topic: Why Blowing It Up Makes Sense (2014 Draft)  (Read 10074 times)

Re: Why Blowing It Up Makes Sense (2014 Draft)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yes - chances of getting the #1 are probably .000000001

Yes - Blowing it up for the chance at the #1 pick is very dumb.

I guess I just wanted to talk about Andrew Wiggins, and put my dream scenario of him wearing a Celtics jersey on (virtual) paper. Sorry, I'm a bit over-enthusiastic on the guy.

In all seriousness, the 2014 draft is going to be incredibly better than 2013. Much deeper, more impact prospects.

The 2014 draft class is so deep that Karl Towns Jr, a 6-11 center from NJ who just recorded a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE (Pts, Rebs, Asts, Blks) reclassified to graduate highschool in 2014 (making him draftable likely in 2015).

Is that really so exciting in HS? I think big Al averaged 40/20 or so in HS.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yes - chances of getting the #1 are probably .000000001

Yes - Blowing it up for the chance at the #1 pick is very dumb.

I guess I just wanted to talk about Andrew Wiggins, and put my dream scenario of him wearing a Celtics jersey on (virtual) paper. Sorry, I'm a bit over-enthusiastic on the guy.

In all seriousness, the 2014 draft is going to be incredibly better than 2013. Much deeper, more impact prospects.

The 2014 draft class is so deep that Karl Towns Jr, a 6-11 center from NJ who just recorded a QUADRUPLE DOUBLE (Pts, Rebs, Asts, Blks) reclassified to graduate highschool in 2014 (making him draftable likely in 2015).

Is that really so exciting in HS? I think big Al averaged 40/20 or so in HS.

Its pretty exciting in HS, more so considering it was one prep school vs another. Pretty dominating performance, but he (was) the #3 prospect in the country.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
There is always a potential franchise savior. Harrison Barnes is good example of being considered that savior (Im a huge UNC fan so I watched that guy a lot), but is turning out to be a slightly above average rotation guy in the NBA (that is his peak IMHO).

Wiggins is very different. NOBODY talked about Austin Rivers, Nerlens or Barnes the way they do about Wiggins. Barnes had a ton of hype, but people really overlooked that he got that hype playing HS ball in Iowa. Wiggins is viewed the same way Lebron was when he was in HS. And he place in a tough HS league, with powerhouses like Oak Hill...unless injuries hold him back, Wiggins will be an NBA elite player by 2015.

Yes we hear about guys every year, that are going to be the next big thing, and more often than not it's not the case, but this kid is different. I'm just gonna stop hyping him up at this point, but if you are skeptical, read up on him, or watch him play. You will be genuinely amazed at how incredibly gifted he is in every single aspect of the game.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
There is always a potential franchise savior. Harrison Barnes is good example of being considered that savior (Im a huge UNC fan so I watched that guy a lot), but is turning out to be a slightly above average rotation guy in the NBA (that is his peak IMHO).

You're saying he's peaked as a player during his rookie season? Yikes.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Stern can give us a first pick if he wanted to  ;D..but he is retiring
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Wiggins dominated last year's Nike Hoop Summit being the youngest kid of the bunch. It helped having the young chinese center and Saric from Croatia in his team, but the kid is the real deal. He'll be there again this year (hopefully) and we can expect an even more dominating performance there.

He could be a superstar, but we'll only know when he is playing against the pros. Of course I'd love to see him in green, but we know the ping pong balls are not on our side.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Even if we did get the #1 pick in 2014...I see Ainge scooping up his Mormon brethren Jabari Parker.

I'd love to have Wiggins though.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »

Offline ozman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
why blow it up? So after games we can all make comment about glimpes of potential that certain players showed or didnt show?

I'd rather apreciate our hall of famers and (current) all stars Pierce and Garnett in their final years whilst staying competitive.
We already have some good pieces to build around and i dont see any reason to 'blow it up' and cross our fingers that we get the #1 pick.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
why blow it up? So after games we can all make comment about glimpes of potential that certain players showed or didnt show?

I'd rather apreciate our hall of famers and (current) all stars Pierce and Garnett in their final years whilst staying competitive.
We already have some good pieces to build around and i dont see any reason to 'blow it up' and cross our fingers that we get the #1 pick.

Why blow it up? Because being a mediocre team is the worst thing you can be in sports. No high draft picks and no legit championship contention. We are not going to get either, this team is what it is a .500 team.

.500 teams don't win championships and don't get young assets. Jared and Sully are nice complementary players, but they haven't shown me anything that would lead me to believe that they could be superstars.

High Draft Picks = Better chance at landing a franchise players
Franchise Players = Championships

PP and KG are old. Rondo is inconsistant. Something needs to be done. Period. We go ALL in or ALL out, you can't drive straight at a fork. You drive straight and you get this a .500 team with no shot at a championship.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Dear Danny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiIC3A0ROM

Love,

Kevin, Paul, Rajon, Avery, Courtney, Brandon, Jared, Jeff, Jason T., Chris, Jason C., Leandro, and Fabricio.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't agree with OP on blowing it up. However, Wiggins is the real deal fellas. These are his HL's as a junior in HS. To compare him with Rivers, Noel, etc. is blasphemous. He's definitely in the James, Durant, category in terms of raw talent and sheer potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJn74ufOx64

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 05:40:43 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

No I'm not saying he has peaked during his rookie season, but that his ceiling is above average rotation player/fringe All-Star.  Considering what he was supposed to be when he walked into Chapel Hill, it's disappointing.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »

Offline ozman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21

Why blow it up? Because being a mediocre team is the worst thing you can be in sports. No high draft picks and no legit championship contention. We are not going to get either, this team is what it is a .500 team.

.500 teams don't win championships and don't get young assets. Jared and Sully are nice complementary players, but they haven't shown me anything that would lead me to believe that they could be superstars.

High Draft Picks = Better chance at landing a franchise players
Franchise Players = Championships

PP and KG are old. Rondo is inconsistant. Something needs to be done. Period. We go ALL in or ALL out, you can't drive straight at a fork. You drive straight and you get this a .500 team with no shot at a championship.

For every team that blows it up and hits big in the lottery, there are two mediocre teams who didnt and thus reamin stuck in 500 % mediocrity.
The teams that do blow it up and go for the lottery dont always pan out. Wizards/Bobcats/Kings/Bucks to name a few.
Free Agency and Trade are the biggest tools for building a contender.
We have Assets to trade, and Danny is very good at drafting middle to late 1st round. Build around them or sell them high with expiring contracts (which he will have, and/or can aquire like he did with theo ratliff/wally szerb) for more talent.

Pierce & KG are old, no question. They were old in 2010 when they went to the finals, they were old last year when they went to game 7. It's not a valid argument because old has proven to win. and theese guys are still performing at a high level.

Sure... rondo's scoring is inconsistant, but when your talking about running an offense, his as good and consistant as it gets. his a tripple double threat every night. his a top 10 talent and definitly someone you can build around.

right now the team is strugling but the team has too much talent not to go on a run, and come play off time theres not a single team in the east that wants to play boston in a 7 game series, home court or not.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No I'm not saying he has peaked during his rookie season, but that his ceiling is above average rotation player/fringe All-Star.  Considering what he was supposed to be when he walked into Chapel Hill, it's disappointing.

Oh. I see. Well ending up with a fringe all-star from the 7th pick overall, that'd be pretty sweet.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't agree with OP on blowing it up. However, Wiggins is the real deal fellas. These are his HL's as a junior in HS. To compare him with Rivers, Noel, etc. is blasphemous. He's definitely in the James, Durant, category in terms of raw talent and sheer potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJn74ufOx64

Based on that video I'd trade the entire Celtics roster for the chance to draft that kid. Unreal balance and athleticism. He is unreal. Head above the rim throwing it down hard, but then step back from deep in your face with touch. He is definitely in the Lebron, Durant potential level. Different level with the chance to be one of the best.