Author Topic: Ainge: "Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming"  (Read 8733 times)

Re: Ainge: "Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming"
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Boy I hope he's fronting. If not, this team as is, isn't winning jack.

Re: Ainge: "No Trade Likely"
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Danny says this literally every year, both before the draft and near the trade deadline.

Right, and all he is doing is citing the rule of averages.  Yeah, trades are hard to do, and chances are, a big one won't happen.  But that doesn't mean he isn't trying really, really hard.

This. It's like when he denies Rondo trade rumors... he says things like:

"I anticipate Rondo being here for a long time". Sounds convincing.

Only after the rumors got so strong last year that his value was getting trashed did Ainge have to come out and say "Rondo is not being traded" to stop the bleeding....

I remember reading somewhere that those rumors were started by teams hoping to trade for Rondo to a) lower his value and b) alienate Ainge and Rondo so I'd take most of the rumors with a rather large grain of salt.

And that was planted by Ainge to try to increase Rondo's trade value.

Seriously, Danny discusses any deal that he thinks can make the team better.  The problem is, those deals are not easy to make, because the other team is trying to improve too.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I agree with Ainge.  I'm sure that if there were a trade available that he felt would significantly improve the team, he would do it.  Realistically, I don't see a ton of scenarios that fit that description, either.

Don't be too shocked if he picks up a couple of looking-for-a-job free agents and calls it good. 

Personally, I'm happy to go into the playoffs with this roster and see what they can do.

Whatever he does,IMHO, its just not worth trading away any young guys who are likely to get better, have great attitudes and are already good, to possibly make us better for one year. PP and KG are in decline so imho this is a one year window, with them, at best. Nothing can nearly guarantee a title now, unless some center would come here who plays like a veteran Shaq. It just doesn't exist.

So who are the young untouchables? I'm just not going to be down with letting Avery or Sully go, but that is it. Rajon has too many issues. Lee just isn't good enough. And Green isn't either. Letting Melo go could end up being a huge mistake but no one could know that so Id let him go but I doubt he is worth anything to anyone else.

I guess above all else, Danny did all kinds of maneuvering starting the summer after the title year to prepare for last summer. Avoiding taking on long contracts like Posey, like Perkins, like Baby, and picking up vets like JO, Shaq, and Sheed. Its VERY discouraging to see what we have to show for that right now.( Although I have to admit to thinking last summer went well. I'm not trying to be GM. I just as a fan don't want to lose Avery and Sullinger.)

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree with Ainge.  I'm sure that if there were a trade available that he felt would significantly improve the team, he would do it.  Realistically, I don't see a ton of scenarios that fit that description, either.

Don't be too shocked if he picks up a couple of looking-for-a-job free agents and calls it good. 

Personally, I'm happy to go into the playoffs with this roster and see what they can do.

Whatever he does,IMHO, its just not worth trading away any young guys who are likely to get better, have great attitudes and are already good, to possibly make us better for one year. PP and KG are in decline so imho this is a one year window, with them, at best. Nothing can nearly guarantee a title now, unless some center would come here who plays like a veteran Shaq. It just doesn't exist.

So who are the young untouchables? I'm just not going to be down with letting Avery or Sully go, but that is it. Rajon has too many issues. Lee just isn't good enough. And Green isn't either. Letting Melo go could end up being a huge mistake but no one could know that so Id let him go but I doubt he is worth anything to anyone else.

I guess above all else, Danny did all kinds of maneuvering starting the summer after the title year to prepare for last summer. Avoiding taking on long contracts like Posey, like Perkins, like Baby, and picking up vets like JO, Shaq, and Sheed. Its VERY discouraging to see what we have to show for that right now.( Although I have to admit to thinking last summer went well. I'm not trying to be GM. I just as a fan don't want to lose Avery and Sullinger.)

I don't think Danny will trade Bradley or Sullinger, unless he is getting back a potentially better building block for the future.

So, I think they could potentially be on the table when you are talking about a guy like Cousins (depending on how high he is on Cousins), or maybe Josh Smith, if Danny is really sure he will resign.  But I doubt they would be on the table for lesser players or older guys. 

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
No GM are going to say they are or arent going to trade
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 04:13:03 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I take whatever Danny Ainge says with a grain of salt. I think there will be a big trade soon.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I take whatever Danny Ainge says with a grain of salt. I think there will be a big trade soon.

I honestly would be shocked if we did anything major. Maybe Phoenix will let us buy low on Gortat.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Our basic problem is this: ordinarily a contending team (if you want to call us that) can improve if it can swap some picks or promising rookies for an established star player.

But in our case, the two most valuable young assets we have - Bradley and Sullinger - aren't riding the pine behind the stars. They've become critical to our success this year. So it's very hard to imagine moving them for a net gain, because losing them makes us worse.

Meanwhile our vets - the guys like Bass, Green and Terry who should be making it harder for Bradley and Sully to get minutes - are not only underachieving, but have terrible contracts. We're not getting anything valuable in return for those guys. Heck, we'd probably have to give someone Bradley just as compensation for taking Green's contract.

And, those same contracts make it pretty hard to blow things up. Green, Terry and Bass might be just good enough to keep us out of the lottery even if we trade Rondo and Pierce.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Realistically, i don't see us winning a championship this year with this team.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LET'S GO CELTICS!