Author Topic: Ainge: "Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming"  (Read 8737 times)

Ainge: "Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming"
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Now I do think he has to say this publicly because he is trying to keep any leverage he might have in ongoing and future negotiations. That being said I am sure it is no secret around the league that we are open for business.

“Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming,” said Ainge, well aware that market factors and the Rubik’s Cube difficulties of finding a transaction that meets the needs of two teams at the same time conspire against blockbuster trades.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/01/ainge_too_soon_big_changes

It not a huge secret that Celtics president Danny Ainge and his staff have been kicking the tires on their options for most of the past month. The Celtics have always been aggressive about shopping the marketplace, but despite rampant speculation that Boston might move one of its core pieces like say a Paul Pierce, Celtics sources say that unless it returned a bona fide All-Star of Pierce’s stature in return moving him was not in the cards.

The Big Three Will Not be moved because the return doesn't justify the move this season. Maybe the off-season if at all.

The Celtic chips most teams are talking about are guards Courtney Lee ($5 million), forward Jeff Green ($8.35 million) and forward Brandon Bass ($6 million). None of them are overly impressive in a trade on their own; however, any combination of them could get a salary high enough for a more significant deal. The problem is the reason the Celtics want to move them is they have been underwhelming this season and that’s really driven down their trade value.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-would-the-celtics-trade-paul-pierce/

Like some on this board have said. The chips we have aren't desirable. They're playing poor ball and are signed to long deals. Too much investment and not enough return for teams to give anything of quality for.

Connect the dots and we don't have anything we are willing to move and that people want, to bring in a player(s) that will make a difference on this team.

“Not all the players are not playing hard, and all of the players are playing hard most of the time,” Ainge said in the wake of a third straight loss that leaves the Celts at 20-20 heading into tonight’s game here against the Cavaliers. “It’s not like everybody is showing up to the gym and nobody is playing hard. That’s never the case. It’s just frustrating that there are fractures in the effort.

“It’s a different guy each possession sometimes. As you watch the film of the game, it’s a different guy. It’s not like there’s one guy who’s not playing hard. On all these plays, there will be like one guy who’s just not trusting the assignments or who’s taking a shortcut. That’s just not what it takes to win, and our expectations are higher.

“We know that this team is talented, but even with that, there have been a lot of disappointing games this year,” said Ainge. “And that’s been a pattern over the last three years. That’s what I know. And our team has responded well in the playoffs. But we’ve played down to the level of our competition sometimes, and that’s been frustrating.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/01/ainge_too_soon_big_changes

Looks like Ainge believes this team can still get it done. Even if it means waiting until the post season. I think that's a risk, but we might not have any other options because there are likely no deals out there unless AB, Sully, or one of the Big Three are being moved and I doubt Ainge does that. Likely because no deal becomes available to justify doing so.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:58:42 AM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Ainge: "No Trade Likely"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Also doesn't look like we have anything, we are willing to move, that the Lakers would be looking for in return for Pau.

Adrian Wojnarowski: Trade market for Pau Gasol complicated because Lakers have made clear that they don't want back long-term money in deal, league sources say. Even the Lakers - flush with cash - don't want the tax burden of Dwight Howard (assuming he signs), Kobe Bryant and a third massive salary. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

I could potentially see Dallas as a spot for him though. I wish there was a way Ainge could have signed a lot of our guys to shorter deals.

Update:
Miguel Angel Paniagua: Rumor with some legs from Charlotte: Bobcats could be considering a trade package of DeSagana Diop, Ben Gordon and a draft pick for Pau Gasol. Twitter @pantxopaniagua

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I agree that outside of including AB/Sully, there isn't much value with Lee, Green, Bass and Terry. Lee has improved and maybe increased his value a little bit, but not sure what you can get for those guys.

I don't think Ainge saying he doesn't expect any moves, means that the C's will stand pat. We obviously know Ainge isn't going to say 'Yea, Doc is right we need to make some trades.' He is working the phones like a madman right now, without a doubt. He just doesn't have very attractive chips to offer other teams. I mean, do you think any team wants 3 years of Brandon Bass and Jason Terry? 4 years of Jeff Green @ 9 million per? Lee, I can see some value there, but what can he bring back?

It's tough because in the offseason, after all the moves, we thought this team was stacked with talent/trade chips, but now everyone is under performing and I can't see any team willing to take on any of our underachievers. It's one thing if the guys I mentioned were on one year expiring deals, then you have legitimately attractive chips, but these guys have 3-4 year contracts which really hurts their value, on top of playing poorly.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
I think we will add some buy out guys, but that's it. We are going to have to figure things out with what we have.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
There is no way he would come out and say a huge trade is probably gonna happen.

Hopefully something is in the works though, because we look awful.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
There is no way he would come out and say a huge trade is probably gonna happen.

Hopefully something is in the works though, because we look awful.

Like what?

With the way teams are in regards to the cap... I mean who do you really think we can get for these guys? You're watching how they have been playing. Well, so are all the GMs and owners.

I don't think Ainge is going to move Sully and AB. He could but I doubt it.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
What's with the "No Trade Likely" title to this thread?

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Danny says this literally every year, both before the draft and near the trade deadline.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Danny says this literally every year, both before the draft and near the trade deadline.

Right, and all he is doing is citing the rule of averages.  Yeah, trades are hard to do, and chances are, a big one won't happen.  But that doesn't mean he isn't trying really, really hard. 

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
What's with the "No Trade Likely" title to this thread?

Lol better?

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

Right, and all he is doing is citing the rule of averages.  Yeah, trades are hard to do, and chances are, a big one won't happen.  But that doesn't mean he isn't trying really, really hard. 

Bingo. He is trying. His hands are tied with underachieving players with multi-year contracts. It will be incredibly difficult to pull off a big move, but he is most definitely trying.

Unless Pierce/AB/Sully are involved, anything major has a very small chance of happening. And equally, trading one of those three has an even smaller chance of happening IMHO.

How much value does Fab Melo have? Or a mid to late 1st rd pick in what will be a very poor draft? Ainge doesn't have much bargaining power at the moment.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

True but outside of the Perk deal he really hasn't made major trades since acquiring KG and Ray. Nate for spare parts wasn't really that big of a deal. With all the rumors that fly around though I am sure he is active. I mean he has to be. No way the media just makes up all those conversations.

Still I find it unlikely he gets to move the pieces he wants to move for what he is looking for in return, before the deadline.

Just hard to move role players on long term deals. Especially when all these guys are considered to be underperforming.

Re: Ainge: "Realistically, I don’t see major changes coming"
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Just the GM saying what he needs to say.

I dont see him saying, "this team stinks we are actively looking to trade anyone and everyone."

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree with Ainge.  I'm sure that if there were a trade available that he felt would significantly improve the team, he would do it.  Realistically, I don't see a ton of scenarios that fit that description, either.

Don't be too shocked if he picks up a couple of looking-for-a-job free agents and calls it good. 

Personally, I'm happy to go into the playoffs with this roster and see what they can do. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Realistically, i don't see us winning a championship this year with this team.