Author Topic: Nets going after howard again?  (Read 3301 times)

Nets going after howard again?
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Brooklyn Nets are preparing to make another run at Dwight Howard, according to a source.
Playing in Brooklyn with Deron Williams and Joe Johnson was at the top of Howard’s list last summer and the Nets are convinced that the seven-time All-Star still has a strong desire to make the Barclays Center his home office. The Nets have played well under P.J. Carlesimo and feel like the addition of Howard could be the piece that gets them to the NBA Finals.

Brooklyn Nets general manager Billy King has kept a close eye on the struggling Lakers and quietly searched for a third team with an attractive piece that would help facilitate a trade that would deliver Howard to the Nets, according to sources.

The Lakers have struggled through injuries, a coaching change and a lack of chemistry this season. The team is currently 17-24 and facing the reality that missing the playoffs seems inevitable. The feeling out of Brooklyn is that Howard can be had for the right price because of the Lakers’ struggles and long-term commitment to a collection of pieces that just don’t seem to fit or compliment Howard’s assortment of skills.

The only missing element was a third team with an attractive piece that would force the Lakers to consider the future of the franchise and directly question Howard about the direction he’s leaning at this point of the season. King, according to sources, was confident that he had a trade proposal that was a perfect fit for all teams involved.

According to sources, King was planning to contact the Minnesota Timberwolves in order to gauge their interest in a three-team trade that would send Kevin Love to the Lakers, Brook Lopez to the Timberwolves and Dwight Howard to the Nets. Other small pieces would need to be included, but the proposed trade was thought to be intriguing enough to start conversations in the Lakers front office that would force them to deal with Howard earlier than planned.

That idea, however, was hurt when Love was sidelined 8-10 weeks with a broken hand. The Nets believed the Lakers would be interested in Love, but not an injured Love, even if they’re facing missing the playoffs, according to sources.

King will still look around for an attractive piece for the Lakers, but won’t make getting Howard as big a priority as last season, according to sources. But he will continue to watch the Lakers and explore intriguing trade options, sources said. 40 minutes ago

Re: Nets going after howard again?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
No chance in the world Minnesota gives up Love for Brook Lopez, even if he's improved.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can't see it happening.  The Lakers would have to decide to blow it up this season, and I don't see that happening under any circumstances.

Now, in the off-season I could see Howard wanting to move on (despite his denials), but at that point the Lakers / Nets won't be allowed to complete a sign-and-trade due to the CBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
No way LA trades Dwight until he says, "I'm not resigning here."

Lopez and Love are both injury-prine, but Love is better, so Minnesota says no.

That leaves Brooklyn, who stupidly gave Lopez, Wallace, and Humphries big money.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Lopez sucks, I honestly believe Minny would be better off letting Love walk.

Id trade Bass for him tho

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Brook Lopez and Pau Gasol would work together pretty well offensively. Not so much defensively. And not so much with Kobe Bryant using up 25-30 possessions a night.

I say better to stick with Dwight with his defensive + rebounding impact.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Right now Howard doesn't look like that great an upgrade over Lopez. But his star power would help in stealing some of the market share of NY basketball fans away from the Knicks. In living around here, trust me, that might be more important to Brooklyn then winning this year is.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Lopez is the slowest man alive.

Howard to the Nets just doesnt seem to work seeing the pieces that would be involved and needed to be moved.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I can't see it happening.  The Lakers would have to decide to blow it up this season, and I don't see that happening under any circumstances.

Now, in the off-season I could see Howard wanting to move on (despite his denials), but at that point the Lakers / Nets won't be allowed to complete a sign-and-trade due to the CBA.

Agree. Brooklyn is a highly unlikely scenario, compared to the chances Dwight retreats to a little softer market in FA this summer: Dallas or Atlanta, for example....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No chance in the world Minnesota gives up Love for Brook Lopez, even if he's improved.

Agree... it would have to be some kind of crazy multi-team deal where the Lakers ended up with Love + another piece, the Timberwolves ended up with Pau Gasol + multiple pieces and the Nets ended up with Dwight HOward. 

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Howard is Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo weak in the brain its almost sad. Howard is a mess on court .   He rebounds dang good and can dunk ....and thats about it .

I would rather have A Heathy Bynum over todays back surgery downgraded Howard.   People don't ever really get over back surgery , when your talking the NBA level. Like an ACL ...never is 100% again.

I'd rather have Mark Gasol or Splitter than Howard on the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Minnesota wants Gasol, not Lopez. Lopez would just be a less tough, less rebounding version of Pekovic. The Wolves would need a complimentary player to Pekovic, not a duplication.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Minnesota wants Gasol, not Lopez. Lopez would just be a less tough, less rebounding version of Pekovic. The Wolves would need a complimentary player to Pekovic, not a duplication.
yeah that trade from the opening seems strange to me, though I think something like this might work for all 3 teams

BRK - Howard, World Peace, Ridnour
MIN - Gasol
LAL - Lopez, Humphries, Pekovic, Williams, Roy
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip