Poll

Should/Will Bass be benched? Who should replace him?

Bass should stay starting
1 (5%)
Sully
13 (65%)
Green
2 (10%)
Wilcox
3 (15%)
Jason Collins
0 (0%)
Lee at the 3, Pierce at the 4
0 (0%)
Bench someone else
0 (0%)
Start different players each game
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: More couch coaching: bench Bass?  (Read 5142 times)

More couch coaching: bench Bass?
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:52:49 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Could benching Bass improve this team?

Bass seems to be experiencing growing pains. He seems to have improved on his handles, his footwork and/or his physicality as he's getting to the rim on his own. However, he can't seem to finish.

Benching him would line him up against weaker competition, allowing him to improve at his own pace if he should improve.

Perhaps the reason AB's return has improved the team that much is not just because of his defensive intensity but also because he is not a jump shooter with Pierce and KG already being so perimeter oriented. Attempts away from the basket means bad offense and fast breaks against our aged vets, giving the opponents confidence and the early lead, which seems to be a huge problem of late (the early deficits for us).

We could have another case of Courtney Lee. When AB was out and Lee started, Lee's playing time was uncertain due to the shaky performance by various lineups, much like what Bass is going through right now.

The only real but I could think of would be chemistry. Come playoff time, Rondo knowing where Bass is at all times could be valuable. The logistics of starting and not starting and shifting rotations could break this up.

Who?
Sully - the most obvious candidate. He makes a lot of sense next to Garnett (hiding Sully's defensive shortcomings on one end and having Sully cause mismatches on the other).

Wilcox - the Rondo-Wilcox connection is fantastic. Again, the big's defensive deficiencies are covered by Garnett. The problem is if he can stay healthy because he's apparently injury prone.

Jeff Green - people are worried about the lack of a backup small forward if Jeff Green is started but this puts the best five players on the floor from the start.

Courtney Lee - Put Pierce at the 4 and Lee at the 3? There would be a lot of energy with AB, Lee and Rondo but taking Lee away from his role yet again could be detrimental. Plus, the defensive issues with being so small and the wear and tear on Pierce sure would suck.

Jason Collins - no comment.

Start different players each game - with a Swiss Army knife of power forwards at disposal, pulling a Popovich and doing something stupendously unconventional might work. Having Wilcox defend the likes of Tyson Chandler one night and exploiting Boozer with Jeff Green does not sound too bad.

A quote from Doc:
I do believe we will start more than one starting lineup this year. That’s something I haven’t done unless we were bad. This year, I know of three lineups we’ll start.

I am curious about starting different players each game. But then again I was curious about Jajuan Johnson, Brandon Roy and some guy named Chris Johnson.

Re: More couch coaching: bench Bass?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sully should have been starting a long time ago.

For a while I've felt that Doc should just start Jared and played him as many minutes as possible until he fouls out.  Eventually, he'll adjust to the minutes and figure out how to play without picking up so many fouls.

We might as well give Jared as many minutes as possible; he's earned them more than any other guy in the front court and it's not like we're concerned with getting HCA or anything.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:46:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yeah, bench him. Bench Bass.

I was hopeful that Bsas would find more of a comfort level when placed back in last year's starting lineup but it hasn't happened. He has had almost 10 games now (back in the starting unit) and he is trending downwards instead of upwards. I am ready to make a change.

I'd give Wilcox the nod before Sullinger. I like what Sully is giving Boston off the bench and am reluctant to mess with that. I'd rather give Wilcox the go-ahead in a part time starters role where he plays anywhere from 16-20mpg to 20-24mpg.

I don't think Bass will contribute much off the bench in a second unit that already has ball-happy / shot-happy players like Jason Terry and Jeff Green. So I'd expect his decreased production to continue to the rest of the season.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:49 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

I was hopeful that Bsas would find more of a comfort level when placed back in last year's starting lineup but it hasn't happened. He has had almost 10 games now (back in the starting unit) and he is trending downwards instead of upwards. I am ready to make a change.

I'd give Wilcox the nod before Sullinger. I like what Sully is giving Boston off the bench and am reluctant to mess with that. I'd rather give Wilcox the go-ahead in a part time starters role where he plays anywhere from 16-20mpg to 20-24mpg.

I don't think Bass will contribute much off the bench in a second unit that already has ball-happy / shot-happy players like Jason Terry and Jeff Green. So I'd expect his decreased production to continue to the rest of the season.
wilcox is an absolute joke. He averaged 5/4 for us last year. Sullinger averaged 10 rebounds during our winning streak, and consistently gets double doubles. He is averaging 6/6 right now and is an above average rebounder, whereas wilcox is very below average rebounder.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:39:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

wilcox is an absolute joke. He averaged 5/4 for us last year. Sullinger averaged 10 rebounds during our winning streak, and consistently gets double doubles. He is averaging 6/6 right now and is an above average rebounder, whereas wilcox is very below average rebounder.

I'd like to see Sullinger get 26-30 minutes a game. I'd just prefer it to happen from a bench position rather than a starting spot.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:59:39 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

For a while I've felt that Doc should just start Jared and played him as many minutes as possible until he fouls out.  Eventually, he'll adjust to the minutes and figure out how to play without picking up so many fouls.

We might as well give Jared as many minutes as possible; he's earned them more than any other guy in the front court and it's not like we're concerned with getting HCA or anything.

I believe starting Sully as a rookie would also accelerate the refs dropping the rookie-foul thing.  If he merits a position in the starting lineup despite how they call him, they will the sooner call him more fairly.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I believe starting Sully as a rookie would also accelerate the refs dropping the rookie-foul thing.  If he merits a position in the starting lineup despite how they call him, they will the sooner call him more fairly.
interesting take on the foul situation.  As much as his role on the team shouldn't impact how he's officiated, this probably does have some merit unfortunately.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Could benching Bass improve this team?

Bass seems to be experiencing growing pains. He seems to have improved on his handles, his footwork and/or his physicality as he's getting to the rim on his own. However, he can't seem to finish.

Benching him would line him up against weaker competition, allowing him to improve at his own pace if he should improve.

Bass is a passive 6'8" 250lb jump shooting power forward with over 6 seasons of NBA experience but doesn't know how to rebound or post up. Wilcox and Collins have been even worse to watch. If I was as big as any of these guys and couldn't post up, rebound or box-out I would be EMBARRASSED!

All three of these deadbeats need to sit on the bench and learn how to play hoops by watching the rookie.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Thought Bass was a backup when he came to the C's .  I don't remember him starting at Orlando .

Most of his scoring is dependent on a jumper.  ANd now KG is not scoring inside at his advanced NBA age.  So at the 4-5 postions no inside game. This makes the C's starting group a jump shooting team . 

Sully helps the inside game.  But, overall its not enough.

C's need players willing to battle in the paint like , NOAH, Varejao , Asik, ECT.

To much one shot and out every trip down court.

Bass just isn't an instinctive inside threat , he don't have inside moves , poor hands ., and horrible rebounding instincts.

The C's are just outclassed at the 4&5 , when KG sits.  PArt of working PP so hard , is the WEAK inside scoring threat, makes it harderon PP and wears him down.

Bass is backup.  We still need another starting BIG for KG.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Thought Bass was a backup when he came to the C's .  I don't remember him starting at Orlando .

Most of his scoring is dependent on a jumper.  ANd now KG is not scoring inside at his advanced NBA age.  So at the 4-5 postions no inside game. This makes the C's starting group a jump shooting team . 

C's need players willing to battle in the paint like , NOAH, Varejao , Asik, ECT.

Bass just isn't an instinctive inside threat , he don't have inside moves , poor hands ., and horrible rebounding instincts.

The C's are just outclassed at the 4&5 , when KG sits.  PArt of working PP so hard , is the WEAK inside scoring threat, makes it harderon PP and wears him down.

When you put it that way, I wonder if there'd be a chance of a Pierce/AlJeff swap. 

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

When you put it that way, I wonder if there'd be a chance of a Pierce/AlJeff swap.
I would rather keep Pierce. I don't think Big Al is enough of a difference maker to make a straight swap worthwhile for Boston.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

I would rather keep Pierce. I don't think Big Al is enough of a difference maker to make a straight swap worthwhile for Boston.

I imagine AlJeff and Sullinger could make for a sloppy defensive combo when KG wasn't in, which would be the major concern, and it's generally not been Danny's style to go for defensive liabilities in the front court. 

But it could help to straighten out their offensive and rebounding situations, while giving them a year and a half to see what can be made of Melo for the future--or give them a big expiring for next year. From Utah's side, it's close to giving Utah an expiring contract, and an upgrade at least for this year.

Still, I think another trade for Pierce is more likely.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I still think that Brandon Bass makes the most sense in the starting lineup.  I like bringing Sully in off the bench.  He really seems to have provided a spark for that second unit.  I want to see Chris Wilcox regain his role as the backup center when KG goes to the bench five minutes into the game.  I think that Sully and Wilcox will be a nice second unit big combination. 

Oh, and call up Fab Melo for the stretch run of the season.  I feel that he's accomplished what he needs to accomplish in the D-League.  It's time to throw him in with the big boys. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would love to bench Bass, but given the current roster, with Wilcox still out, there is no other option.

If you are going to play Bass, you should start him, to hide his defense, and keep KG or Sully on the floor at all times.

But, the second there is someone else to take some more minutes from Bass, other than KG and Sully, who basically play every minute they can at the moment (KG because of age, Sully because of fouls), Bass' minutes should really shrink.

Get him back to being a 12-15 minute role player, and he is fine. 

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I like the idea of starting Wilcox in a 15-20mpg role alongside KG.

He gives you about as much as Bass defensively (less lateral quickness and more foul-prone, but more size/length), but he's been so much more productive offensively, especially paired with Rondo.  71% from the field vs. 45% for Bass. 

Wilcox and Bradley are the two ablest and most committed transition players we have - makes sense to play them with Rondo.

Then we're able to keep Sully in the bench wrecking crew role he's been so effective in.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri