Author Topic: Mission Get Gasol.  (Read 6518 times)

Re: Mission Get Gasol.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Gasol is the only trade you can make that puts us in contention.
The loss of Rondo will be blunted some by our depth in the backcourt.
Also Barbosa when given minutes can produce.

How will Gasol turn PP and KG into contenders if he can't turn Dwight and Kobe into contenders?

Its similar to what we have here in Boston. We have a bad mix of players. The Lakers offense is a bad fit for Gasol.

Trading our only point guard for an underperforming  big isn't going to magically improve our mix of players.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Gasol puts us in contention.

It makes the Celtics weaker. 

This is not prime or even near prime Gasol. 

This is 12.6 pts, 8.1 rebounds 43% shooting Gasol.

No way. Gasol is still a very very good player. He is just not suited for Mike D's offense. If you put Gasol and Kg in the frontcourt together we instantly become very long.

Our weakness in the frontcourt would become a strength. No way Monroe and Drumond have the game they had last night.

No offense to Bass. We are just very small up front and we are getting pounded on the boards. Adding Gasol while keeping Sully would be a drastic improvment in the rebounding.

Your analysis about being weaker is wrong. Sorry

He wasn't better this season before the coaching change. 

He is an older player having a down year.

He is the exact type of player you do not trade Rondo for.  A name recognized by what he used to do on the court. 

I would have no issue with Gasol on the Celtics, but I would not give up Rondo, KG or Pierce. 

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120

How will Gasol turn PP and KG into contenders if he can't turn Dwight and Kobe into contenders?

Its similar to what we have here in Boston. We have a bad mix of players. The Lakers offense is a bad fit for Gasol.

Trading our only point guard for an underperforming  big isn't going to magically improve our mix of players.

Adding another big who can give you almost 10 rebounds every night will. Losing Rondo wont be as bad as you think Tim.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Adding another big who can give you almost 10 rebounds every night will. Losing Rondo wont be as bad as you think Tim.

There are other rebounders out there that would not cost the Celtics Rondo. 

Celtics have to get a better return for Rondo then a former all-star having his worst season ever.

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Take Rondo out of it and keep our Big three out of it and then come talk to me.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 11:25:08 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

No way. Gasol is still a very very good player. He is just not suited for Mike D's offense. If you put Gasol and Kg in the frontcourt together we instantly become very long.

Our weakness in the frontcourt would become a strength. No way Monroe and Drumond have the game they had last night.

No offense to Bass. We are just very small up front and we are getting pounded on the boards. Adding Gasol while keeping Sully would be a drastic improvment in the rebounding.

He is the exact type of player you do not trade Rondo for.  A name recognized by what he used to do on the court. 

I would have no issue with Gasol on the Celtics, but I would not give up Rondo, KG or Pierce.

He is 32 years old.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:01 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

What proof do you have that Gasol is "still a very very good player?"  To me, he looks like an aging big who is slowing down and becoming injury prone. 

You don't give up your best player for a 32 year-old reclamation project.  Like I said, ludicrous. 

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:13 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I like the premise of the topic of the thread:Get Gasol

I'd rather give them Pierce than Rondo,though, because we could dump Bass on them and get some nice peices back in addition to all that Gasol brings.

Gasol's value to the Lakers and in trade is at an all time low for 3 reasons:

1.Gasol's sporadic play this year due to injury
2. Gasol being relegated to the bench and deeply in D'Antoni's doghouse
3. the $$$ he is owed this year and next

Pierce's contract is far more valuable to the Lakers, and Pierce is a huge haul (hometown boy, championship pedigree, etc).

That's why the Lakers would be forced to swallow Bass and give us some nice pieces in return.

Lakers get PP, BB

Celtics get Gasol, Earl Clark, Jordan Hill (injured) and Sacre

I would be ok with this and it makes sense. It would be a hard swallow for Celtics Nation though. Pierce to the Lakers yikes.

Fatjohn,I agree. It pained me to type those words.....but..

I do that trade in a heartbeat, not just for what Gasol brings, but dumping Bass (addition by subtraction), getting Clark with the bonus of Jordan Hill for next year and Sacre as another C prospect.

Lots of reasons to like this.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwNgJUDa-Bc

"I wouldn't even consider that" Danny Ainge

technicaly he didnt denied it

But he won't even entertain the idea because its dumb.

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

He is 32 years old.

In his 13th season.  With 101 post season games. 

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 11:30:10 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

Celtics have to get a better return for Rondo then a former all-star having his worst season ever.
Like what? I see the market for Rondo as very limited. Have you  heard of other teams calling about Rondo? ever?

Rondo would be a great fit in Mike D's system though. Rondo and Dwight would be a nice fit. You might be able to get more out of the Lakers also.

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rebounding isn't the problem you think it is. We're a better than average defensive rebounding team and putting Gasol on the roster won't change Doc's OReb philosophy. Losing Rondo will be a lot worse than you think. We won't have a player on the roster capable of being a dominant player in the playoffs and obviously Gasol won't change that.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Like what? I see the market for Rondo as very limited. Have you  heard of other teams calling about Rondo? ever?

Rondo would be a great fit in Mike D's system though. Rondo and Dwight would be a nice fit. You might be able to get more out of the Lakers also.

I never hear about teams calling for KG.

I never hear about teams calling for Lebron, Durrant, or Scali.

Are they all the same level of players? 

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

What proof do you have that Gasol is "still a very very good player?"  To me, he looks like an aging big who is slowing down and becoming injury prone. 

You don't give up your best player for a 32 year-old reclamation project.  Like I said, ludicrous.

Rondo is not our best player. KG is and he is going to be 37 in May.

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 11:33:12 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
As I have said in my previous "get Gasol" type thread.

I would offer Green/Lee/Bass, that is all.

I would definitely not give up Truth, or Rondo for him at this point.

Green/Bass/Lee is the type of package that they need...gives them athletic players who can all shoot, they would fit D'Antoni's system much more.