Author Topic: My beef with hockey  (Read 11562 times)

My beef with hockey
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
My family couldn't afford for me and my brother to play hockey when I was growing up. I think that is part of why hockey is a distant 4th in the sports rankings. It is a great game but it lacks credibility. One cannot help but wonder how many of these players would not even be in the league if the poorer city kids had the same opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:28:25 PM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: My beef with hockey
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Yeah.......i just think hockey is extremely boring.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:15:10 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Yeah.......i just think hockey is extremely boring.

Not as boring as Baseball.

My beef with Hockey, the game itself isn't understood by a lot of people. I definitely don't know much about Hockey. I know the objective of the game is to score goals, but particulars of the game I'm oblivion to. It seems like a fun sport to get into. Need to get educated on it first though.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
My family couldn't afford for me and my brother to play hockey when I was growing up. I think that is part of why hockey is a distant 4th in the sports rankings. It is a great game but it lacks credibility. One can not help but wonder how many of these players would not even be in the league if the poorer city kids had the same opportunity.

How much more expensive is hockey than football?  (I don't know, I played neither, I just see a lot of equipment with both).

And it's not like the inner city kids are playing soccer, wrestling, lacrosse, volleyball, or field hockey either, so don't know how much the "affordable" thing really has to do with it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
My family couldn't afford for me and my brother to play hockey when I was growing up. I think that is part of why hockey is a distant 4th in the sports rankings. It is a great game but it lacks credibility. One can not help but wonder how many of these players would not even be in the league if the poorer city kids had the same opportunity.

How much more expensive is hockey than football?  (I don't know, I played neither, I just see a lot of equipment with both).

And it's not like the inner city kids are playing soccer, wrestling, lacrosse, volleyball, or field hockey either, so don't know how much the "affordable" thing really has to do with it.

Peewee football is better sponsored.  Players do not have to buy their own pads and helmets.  I am not so sure that is the same for Hockey.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think the smaller talent base makes hockey any less legitimate.  You're still seeing the best players in the world play.  Sure, theoretically some other players could have even more skill, but the same can be said of any sport.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think the smaller talent base makes hockey any less legitimate.  You're still seeing the best players in the world play.  Sure, theoretically some other players could have even more skill, but the same can be said of any sport.

And also basically the whole world probably has the same critique of American Football, and Americans have the same critique towards soccer in the US. Football takes all the elite athletes (or most of them) away from Soccer in the US.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I love hockey and I'm so glad the lockout is over. It's too bad it's not more popular.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I love hockey and I'm so glad the lockout is over. It's too bad it's not more popular.

I like watching hockey live. Went to a D1 hockey game recently and enjoyed the crap out of it.

I dislike that many of my friends pretend hockey is the only winter sport that matters. Makes competition for Tvs in the bar pretty thick sometimes.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:55 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Hockey is exhilarating and a true manly sport. Much more exciting than Baseball.

Unlike the NBA which is all talk, Hockey players actually fight, break noses, and smash into each other. I would honestly say 95% of NHL players could beat up any NBA player if it came to a bar fight or something.

Anyways, yeah It's the last great sport untouched by the wussification of America's other sports like the NFL.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:26:31 PM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Hockey is exhilarating and a true manly sport. Much more exciting than Baseball.

Unlike the NBA which is all talk, Hockey players actually fight, break noses, and smash into each other. I would honestly say 95% of NHL players could beat up any NBA player if it came to a bar fight or something.

Anyways, yeah It's the last great sport untouched by the wussification of America's other sports like the NFL.

Personally, I think that's really off. I played football for for 9 years including pee-wees, then rugby for about 10 years after that (Im in semi-retirement now), and playing rugby, a sport without pads, full contact, the only pads you can wear amounting to basically ace bandages and mouthguards, where fights break out pretty regularly (at least punches thrown and landed), it was like two-hand touch next to football.

And NBA players don't not fight because they're soft. They stop from fighting because you get suspended if you engage in any of that.

And I really take offense to hockey players being end all-be all tough. They're tough, but they're not any more tough as a group than anyone else who is in game-shape and willing to throw a punch in a bar.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Can we stop perpetuating myth NBA players are soft? They aren't soft. They are just smart. It would foolish for nba player to get in altercation when there's literally hundreds of millions $$$ on the line. NBA player body is their most prized asset.

And if they were to fight, I know who I'm picking. My money is on 6'9 240lbs guy. Lil Nate Robinson can probably kick any NHL player butt.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 11:21:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Personally, I think that's really off. I played football for for 9 years including pee-wees, then rugby for about 10 years after that (Im in semi-retirement now), and playing rugby, a sport without pads, full contact, the only pads you can wear amounting to basically ace bandages and mouthguards, where fights break out pretty regularly (at least punches thrown and landed), it was like two-hand touch next to football.

And NBA players don't not fight because they're soft. They stop from fighting because you get suspended if you engage in any of that.

And I really take offense to hockey players being end all-be all tough. They're tough, but they're not any more tough as a group than anyone else who is in game-shape and willing to throw a punch in a bar.

I would say that Hockey has the best depth of fighters.

Mostly because their are so many guys in the NBA and the NFL that have no clue how to fight because they never had to growing up.  They were just so much bigger then everybody else, no one wanted to challenge them. 

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Can we stop perpetuating myth NBA players are soft? They aren't soft. They are just smart. It would foolish for nba player to get in altercation when there's literally hundreds of millions $$$ on the line. NBA player body is their most prized asset.

And if they were to fight, I know who I'm picking. My money is on 6'9 240lbs guy. Lil Nate Robinson can probably kick any NHL player butt.

KG for instance barks out insults and hits people in the balls, but when do you think the last time he ever fought anyone was? When he was like 16? Ever? The guy has lead a sheltered life around basketball like a lot of the NBA players. I find it funny that a lot of you say the NBA players aren't soft and are really tough when half the league wears lenseless glasses, Fedoras, colorful pants, and has fashion advisers.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

The average NHL player is 6'1 and 204.

Nate is 5'9, 180.