Author Topic: Celtics (20-20) at Cavs (10-32) 1/22  (Read 36566 times)

Celtics (20-20) at Cavs (10-32) 1/22
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (20-20) at Cleveland Cavaliers (10-32)
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
7:00 PM ET
Game #41,   Road Game #20
TV:  CSNNE,  FSO, SNET1,  LP 751(BOS)/752(CLE)
Radio:  WTAM, WEEI
Quicken Loans Arena

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo......Avery Bradley.......Paul Pierce......Brandon Bass ........Kevin Garnett

Celtics Reserves

Jared Sullinger
Jason Collins
Jason Terry
Jeff Green
Leandro Barbosa
Courtney Lee

Injuries
Avery Bradley (ribs) probable
Chris Wilcox (thumb) day to day

D-League

Fab Melo

Probable Starters

Kyrie Irving.....CJ Miles ....Alonzo Gee....Tristan Thompson.....Tyler Zeller

Cleveland Bench
Dion Waiters
Luke Walton
Shaun Livingston
Jon Leuer
Omri Casspi
Jeremy Pargo
Kevin Jones
Daniel Gibson

Injuries
Anderson Varejao (leg) out

Team Connections
Daniel Gibson, Tristan Thompson and Avery Bradley all attended the University of Texas
Cavaliers Assistant Coach Paul Pressey was an assistant with Boston from 2004-06
Jason Collins played for Cavaliers Head Coach Byron Scott in New Jersey from 2001-04
Fab Melo and Dion Waiters were  teammates at Syracuse
Fab Melo, Leandro Barbosa and Anderson Varejao are from Brazil
Jason Terry and Luke Walton both attended Arizona.

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Kyrie Irving
The key matchup will be at the point guard spot, as is usually the case.  Rondo is coming off a game in which he turned the ball over 9 times.  He has to focus and take better care of the ball.  While I expect Avery Bradley to be covering Irving most of the time, if his ribs are better, the ability of each point guard to direct the offense and set the pace will be key in this game. 

vs 
Kevin Garnett  vs Tyler Zeller
Varejao is out for the rest of the season but Zeller is capable of giving the Celtics problems as well.  In the first meeting between these two teams, Zeller made his first career start and torched the Celtics for 20 points.  KG has to find his shot again and be more consistent on both ends of the court.   

Honorable Mention
Brandon Bass vs Tristan Thompson
Brandon Bass has been very inconsistent on both offense and defense.  He also hasn't been rebounding like the Celtics need him to.  Thompson is averaging 10.3 points and 9.3 rebounds and the Celtics need more out of Bass at the power forward spot.  If they don't get it,  I expect Sully to get more time at this position. 

Game Notes
The Celtics travel to Cleveland for the second of 4 meetings with the Cavaliers.    In spite of having just 10 wins, the Cavs are perfectly capable of playing spoiler and would love to hand the Celtics a loss.  The Celtics won the first meeting in Boston 103-91 and I'm sure the Cavs would love to avenge that as well. 

The Celtics are facing a fork in the road.  Doc has called them out for their effort and for their lack of chemistry.   This will be a chance for the Celtics to show that they want to stay together as a team and for the players to show that they want to remain Celtics.   This is as close to a must win as you can get in the middle of the season. 

The Celtics have lost 3 in a row after their 6 game win streak.   The Cavs are trying to avoid a 2 game losing streak.  The Celtics are 6-4 in their last 10 games while the Cavs are just 3-7 in their last 10.   The Celtics have struggled on the road with a 7-12 record away from the Garden.  The Cavs are just 4-12 on their home court. 

The Celtics have fallen back to .500.  They are still in the 8th spot in the East by virtue of the Sixers losing even more then them.  They are 1.5 games behind Milwaukee for the 7th spot and 3 games in front of Philly.  The Celtics are 5.5 games behind New York for the Atlantic division lead.   Doc made it clear.  If players want to remain a Celtic they need to play team ball and win games, starting with this game. 

Keys to the Game
Mental Toughness - Call it mental toughness or focus, the Celtics need to have it.   The Celtics must keep their heads in the game.  They have to come out strong and play until the final buzzer.  They have to concentrate on making crisp passes instead of sloppy ones that turn the ball over.  They need to be aggressive on both ends of the court and keep their focus,  whether on defense, free throws, shot selection, effort, or just playing team ball.   Doc called the team out for wanting to win easy.  Hopefully the message got across. 

Rebound -  Rebounding is key to getting a win.   When the Celtics put the effort in to crashing the boards and battling for rebounds, that effort also tends to show in other areas of the game as well.  Even though they are at the bottom of the league in rebounding, they have shown that when they make the the effort to hustle for every rebound, things usually go well.   

Defense -  Defense is the key to every game.   There have been times when the Celtics can lock down a team and keep them from getting any easy scores.  There are also times when they allow tip ins and layups and second chance points over and over again.  It goes back to that mental toughness thing.  The Celtics can't lose their defensive mindset.  They must lock in on defense from beginning to end. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics have become a jump shooting team whose jump shots aren't falling.  They need to be more aggressive going to the hoop, especially if the shots still aren't falling.  They also have to be aggressive on defense,  fighting for loose balls, rebounding,  and bringing the ball up the floor.  The team that is more aggressive usually wants the game more and will usually be the team that comes out on top. 

X-Factors
Effort and Teamwork
After Doc called the team out and hinted that if they didn't get their act together as a team, there would be changes,  we can only hope that they took it to heart and will come out with more effort in this game.  They have to play as a team and find some measure of consistency from every player on the team.  If they want to stay together as a team,  they need to show it. 

Re: Celtics (20-20) at Cavs (10-32) 1/22
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am shocked at how much I miss Chris Wilcox.

Desperately waiting for him to get back on the court. Sick of Jason Collins being on the court in situations where he offers no upside for the team + some of these no-shows from Brandon Bass.

It's ridiculous how dependent the team is on Jared Sullinger right now to get any type of positive contribution from the big men outside of Kevin Garnett. The sooner Wilcox gets back the better.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
I'm on a hiatus from watching my favorite team in all of sports.

I will watch them when they deserve to be watched again;

Until then, I will DVR the games, check in on the game with a click of the clicker numerous times, and perhaps watch the game in its entirety, later.

Some losses, like the Bulls loss, were palatable to me. They scrapped till the end and got screwed by some calls and by some shots that came out of anal orifices. That happens.

Games like last night are not acceptable to me as a fan, not when they have occurred numerous times in only 40 games.

Man, this team is real difficult to watch sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:27:14 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I am shocked at how much I miss Chris Wilcox.

Desperately waiting for him to get back on the court. Sick of Jason Collins being on the court in situations where he offers no upside for the team + some of these no-shows from Brandon Bass.

It's ridiculous how dependent the team is on Jared Sullinger right now to get any type of positive contribution from the big men outside of Kevin Garnett. The sooner Wilcox gets back the better.

Hasn't he been cleared to play and in uniform for the last two games?  I think he's just gotten DNP-CDs in the last couple.  Definitely time to throw Wilcox back into the mix.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This game should put the celtics back above .500 and hopefully still the gnashing of teeth here at cb. ;D

Go celtics!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
If we lose to uncle drew and pack of scrubs and rookies Im not sure how I'm going to feel.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
If we lose to uncle drew and pack of scrubs and rookies Im not sure how I'm going to feel.
Disgusted

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
The Celtics need to win tonight.

Period.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm not gonna lose sleep watching this game.  It'll either be a blowout by us or another bad loss.  Either way it's not gonna change that this team is playing below average right now.  As I said before,  string together 10 in a row before I beleive we've turned the corner or if we can get on a win streak that encompasses beating the knicks and heat then we're talkin.   Boy do I miss that 6 games win streak lol

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

TP. Go Celtics!

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Hopefully Bradley can slow down Irving just a little bit.  I like having Rondo on Miles; he isn't a good enough shooter or post player for Rondo to worry about.  I expect Rondo to be playing the passing lanes aggressively.

Bass needs to box out well against Thompson, who is a great offensive rebounder.

KG needs to dominate Zeller, as he is not strong enough.  Garnett can't be shooting a ton of mid-range jumpers.

Pierce has to pay attention to Gee, who can score in bunches.  On the other end, Paul needs to post Gee up, using his superior strength to get to the line.

If our bench doesn't out-perform their's, I'll be shocked.  Terry needs to match Waiters shot-for-shot, though.  That will be key.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP, FL!

Let's Go, BOS!

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
We are gon to jump on these guys LETS GO
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Irving has hardly any help offensively. Keep the others under wraps and let him do his thing. He can't win a game playing 1 on 5.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
Headed to the game!!!!

First live game since Antoine was on the team!!!!