Author Topic: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"  (Read 30232 times)

Re: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I canīt believe people are still talking about lateral moves.

There is nothing we could get for a package of Bass + Green that would make us contenders.

Too bad we didnīt blow it up last year, huh?

No I wouldn't take back last year. Couple bounces here ir there and we're in the finals. It was an exciting fun ride.

Im still not convinced that this team is done either. They've proved us wrong too many times. They showed that they are a good team last year. We added more talent to our team and didn't lose much. You just can't convince me that this team is worse than last years or that much worse.

Plus they will always be more built for playoffs with KG and Pierce being older and Rondo playing all worldy in the playoffs.

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

There is nothing we could get for a package of Bass + Green that would make us contenders.

I don't think that's necessarily true. A "better than Collins" backup center could make quite a difference in the playoffs. We don't necessarily need someone who's a better player than Bass or Green, maybe just a similar quality player with a different skill set or playing a different position.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:56:22 AM by BballTim »

« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Is Terry really not playing hard enough?

I think he's being misused on offense, doesn't know where he fits and has been slumping horribly. But I don't know that I see him not playing hard enough.

I've been surprised how much d he's playing for a guy who has a reputation as a lackluster defender. I also think he's underperforming worse than anyone. But I haven't really seen the lack of effort people are talking about.

« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2013, 11:15:43 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

I think he's being misused on offense, doesn't know where he fits and has been slumping horribly. But I don't know that I see him not playing hard enough.

I've been surprised how much d he's playing for a guy who has a reputation as a lackluster defender. I also think he's underperforming worse than anyone. But I haven't really seen the lack of effort people are talking about.

Well he claimed at the beginning of the season that he was the leader of second unit etc.

He's had plenty if time there and for a lifetime 6th man "leader" I don't think he's really assumed the role.

That's just my view. I thought he would lead the second unit be more aggressive andthe vocal. Green and Lee have been starters in the past and are youngish Sully is a rook, I wad hoping Terry would help being it together.

He's been playing better defense as of late but in general you barely notice when he's in the game

« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Well he claimed at the beginning of the season that he was the leader of second unit etc.

Boston has been having bad bench play ever since Banner 17 and even then, the team didn't really have a bench like the Clippers do this year or the Bulls had the past couple of seasons. PJ Brown, Baby, Cassel, Leon and Posey never really played much together as a productive unit.  Doc basically just plugged some of them in with the starters.

You can't give Terry or anyone a pass on poor play, but I think there's something systemically wrong in addition to all that.

Mike

« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I don't think that's necessarily true. A "better than Collins" backup center could make quite a difference in the playoffs. We don't necessarily need someone who's a better player than Bass or Green, maybe just a similar quality player with a different skill set or playing a different position.

I think that we already have two "better than Collins" backup centers on the roster.  Right now one of them is recovering from a thumb injury and the other one is getting up to speed in the D-League. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think that we already have two "better than Collins" backup centers on the roster.  Right now one of them is recovering from a thumb injury and the other one is getting up to speed in the D-League.

I don't think that Melo is ready yet, and I'm talking about a somewhat grittier defender/rebounder than Wilcox (although his return should be helpful).

« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker

Boston has been having bad bench play ever since Banner 17 and even then, the team didn't really have a bench like the Clippers do this year or the Bulls had the past couple of seasons. PJ Brown, Baby, Cassel, Leon and Posey never really played much together as a productive unit.  Doc basically just plugged some of them in with the starters.

You can't give Terry or anyone a pass on poor play, but I think there's something systemically wrong in addition to all that.

Mike
I don't really get how your response has to do with what you quoted me on.

I think our benches have been hot and cold over the years some being a lot better than others. Im not gonna compare 2 completely different teams with 2 completely different cap situations especially one team that's been in the lottery since the 20's.

As far as my assessment of Terry claiming the alpha dog of the second unit he could at least show.it a little. At least Sheed would go out there guns blazing, talk a bunch of crap, and try and hurt people when he fouled. Terry is playing scared which I didn't expect. I didn't know him too well but this certainly wasn't the perception I got

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

He's had plenty if time there and for a lifetime 6th man "leader" I don't think he's really assumed the role.

That's just my view. I thought he would lead the second unit be more aggressive andthe vocal. Green and Lee have been starters in the past and are youngish Sully is a rook, I wad hoping Terry would help being it together.

He's been playing better defense as of late but in general you barely notice when he's in the game

I actually thought JET's self-proclaimed leadership of the bench was a little obnoxious.  Green and Lee are in their primes and it just seemed a bit presumptuous to me, coming in new to the team and all.

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Jet just hasn't been the impact player player we'd all hoped.

I belive Dooling would have been a much -much better bench leader than JET and probally would have shot as good as JEt has been doing lately.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:11:58 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike
I don't really get how your response has to do with what you quoted me on.

I think our benches have been hot and cold over the years some being a lot better than others. Im not gonna compare 2 completely different teams with 2 completely different cap situations especially one team that's been in the lottery since the 20's.

As far as my assessment of Terry claiming the alpha dog of the second unit he could at least show.it a little. At least Sheed would go out there guns blazing, talk a bunch of crap, and try and hurt people when he fouled. Terry is playing scared which I didn't expect. I didn't know him too well but this certainly wasn't the perception I got

It has to do with the struggles we've seen consistently from the bench over the past few years, with different players and line ups.  You say you want Terry to be the alpha dog, but what is Doc telling him to do?  Whenever he's on the court with KG, Pierce and Rondo, he's clearly been instructed to do nothing but fill the same role Ray did in the past.  And for at least the last several games, when Terry's been in with the rest of the bench, it's been Lee bringing the ball up court and initiating any offense.

You're putting all the blame on Terry but maybe he's just struggling to fit the very limited role Doc has assigned to him?  Have you seen how Nate Robinson is playing for Thibs in Chicago?  He's getting a lot more use out of him than Doc ever did.

Mike

« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about.

Terry is averaging 4.5 fewer shots a game with Boston than his career average.  But, he's only averaging .3 fewer three-point attempts.  If both total shots and 3 pointers were down, that might just mean Terry isn't being aggressive.  But for 3 point shots to be essential the same yet total shot attempts down so much, that tells me that Terry is being asked to play a much different offensive role than he has in the past.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:36:45 PM by MBunge »