Author Topic: Start Green, Pierce sixth man  (Read 16262 times)

Re: Start Green, Pierce sixth man
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd start by giving Jeff some plays for himself first if he's in the second unit before starting him over Paul.

We have a solid bench mob with Green, Lee and if they play like they used to, Bass and Jet. Jeff is athletic enough that he can go up against any SF in the NBA not named LeBron. How about giving him an ISO play once in a while.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I appreciate this thread.  It seems that every time there's a call to bench Paul Pierce, he starts playing like an All-Star again.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2013, 11:35:22 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Pierce isn't the problem. 

Pierce isn't THE problem, but neither is Green or Lee or even Bass or Terry.  The team as a whole is a problem, which is why thinking about something to change the nature of the team makes sense.

Everybody seems to agree that D'Antoni needs to adjust his system to fit the Lakers' roster.  Well, why doesn't Doc have to adjust to his roster?

Mike

How do you propose he does? Make Rondo play off ball a lot more? I don't think that helps us.

How about running plays designed to get Green and Terry good looks, instead of just expecting them to live off whatever's available when the play for KG or Pierce breaks down?  How about playing more up tempo?  How about more post-ups for Sully?  How about trying to play big for once, shifting Pierce to the 2 guard and putting Green at the 3?  How about simplifying the whole offense?  Whenever I watch a game not involving Boston, I'm frequently amazed at how much more fluidity and ease there is with those team's offenses.  Nate Robinson is SOOOOOO much more effective with Thibs in Chicago than he ever was with Doc in Boston, because Thibs is willing to just let him frickin' play instead of trying to trap Nate in some very limited role where he's only supposed to do certain things.

Mike

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pierce isn't the problem. 

Pierce isn't THE problem, but neither is Green or Lee or even Bass or Terry.  The team as a whole is a problem, which is why thinking about something to change the nature of the team makes sense.

Everybody seems to agree that D'Antoni needs to adjust his system to fit the Lakers' roster.  Well, why doesn't Doc have to adjust to his roster?

Mike

How do you propose he does? Make Rondo play off ball a lot more? I don't think that helps us.

How about running plays designed to get Green and Terry good looks, instead of just expecting them to live off whatever's available when the play for KG or Pierce breaks down?  How about playing more up tempo?  How about more post-ups for Sully?  How about trying to play big for once, shifting Pierce to the 2 guard and putting Green at the 3?  How about simplifying the whole offense?  Whenever I watch a game not involving Boston, I'm frequently amazed at how much more fluidity and ease there is with those team's offenses.  Nate Robinson is SOOOOOO much more effective with Thibs in Chicago than he ever was with Doc in Boston, because Thibs is willing to just let him frickin' play instead of trying to trap Nate in some very limited role where he's only supposed to do certain things.

Mike

I agree with a lot of that.  Rather than doing something gimmicky like demoting Pierce, try some of that.  I think the two biggies are giving Terry more of a role (rather than perpetually running him off screens, allow him to create his own offense), and giving Sully more post attempts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
Easiest thing to do is pull a Pop and sit Paul/KG for a game and see what you get when you start say a lineup of rondo barbosa/lee green sullinger and Wilcox or melo.  Then assess the results after the game or games.

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2013, 12:06:02 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
yeah....because Jeff green has earned that.  ::)

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I can say with all certainty that people who think Jeff Green should start and still think hes going to be an All-Star or even a more productive player, really don't understand the game of Basketball at all, and have maybe held a basketball in their hands for an hour in their entire lifetime. If you can't see that Jeff Green is a horrible basketball player, then you're either in denial, delusional or don't have a clue what you're talking about. Keep posting on CB how great you think Jeff Green is or will become, I will keep coming here telling you you're wrong? How can I make such a bold statement? Jeff Green.

Jeff Green has single-handedly ruined this Celtics team.

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I can say with all certainty that people who think Jeff Green should start and still think hes going to be an All-Star or even a more productive player, really don't understand the game of Basketball at all, and have maybe held a basketball in their hands for an hour in their entire lifetime. If you can't see that Jeff Green is a horrible basketball player, then you're either in denial, delusional or don't have a clue what you're talking about. Keep posting on CB how great you think Jeff Green is or will become, I will keep coming here telling you you're wrong? How can I make such a bold statement? Jeff Green.

Jeff Green has single-handedly ruined this Celtics team.

You clearly have an objective and informed opinion on this matter. Thanks for enlightening everyone with your well proven basketball knowledge in such a humble and gracious manner.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think Jeff Green is fully capable of being a 15 point, 6 rebound a game starter on a championship team - especially if he continues to improve defensively at the SF spot.

He isn't a 1st or 2nd option, more like a 3rd or 4th option on said hypothetical team. And that's fine, you need 3rd and 4th options on all teams.

Also, as our team is currently constructed he will continue to struggle. The more open ended, fast break environment he is in the better.

I'd lie to see a lot more of:

KG
Sully
Green
Bradley and Rondo

Isn't that one of our top 2-3 lineups? I thought I read that somewhere.

I'm giving Green a full year coming off major surgery before I place too much judgement on him.

He's averaging almost 10 points a game in only 23 minutes. I don't 15 a game is a stretch with another 10-12 minutes a night.

Lastly, guys make leaps at different stages in their careers and in different areas of their game. With his athleticism he could very well become an outstanding defender at the three spot - combine that with 12-15 a night and 6 boards that would be very valuable, especially if you have a couple of young big guns putting up big numbers beside that contribution from Green.

It all depends what expectations you place on Green.

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Gerald Wallace
Paid more than Green
A Starter
9.5 points, 5.2 rebounds in 32 minutes a game

Jeff Green
paid less than Wallace
9.5 points, 3.1 rebounds in 23 minutes per game

Still angry at Jeff Green?

A little more time before final judgement maybe?

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Starting Green over PP means that we are opting for a run-and-gun and/or a quick start approach which PP will surely wont be able to do consistently game after game. It is simply a case of pacing. A lot of running and rebounding is needed with this approach so, easily, Green is the logical choice to start at SF.

I would agree with this move if we get the job done in the next 5 games. Otherwise, we really need a big-time scorer in the starting lineup to plug the holes that a slow-paced game under PP gives which is by the way pathetically coupled with a tentative shooter in Rondo.

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Gerald Wallace
Paid more than Green
A Starter

Jeff Green
paid less than Wallace

Wallace is having a down year.  I don't think any of us would want him on his contract.

The fact that the Nets overpaid for Wallace doesn't make me feel any better about overpaying for Jeff Green.  At least Wallace had a proven track record before being given his big deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2013, 07:52:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Gerald Wallace
Paid more than Green
A Starter

Jeff Green
paid less than Wallace

Wallace is having a down year.  I don't think any of us would want him on his contract.

The fact that the Nets overpaid for Wallace doesn't make me feel any better about overpaying for Jeff Green.  At least Wallace had a proven track record before being given his big deal.
Roy you can't have it both ways.  Wallace's minutes and shot attempts are down from previous years.  Same argument you have used on green. 

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Gerald Wallace
Paid more than Green
A Starter

Jeff Green
paid less than Wallace

Roy you can't have it both ways.  Wallace's minutes and shot attempts are down from previous years.  Same argument you have used on green.

I'm not following.

Wallace is having a bad year.  He's looked very poor for Brooklyn.  His defense has been spotty, and his efficiency is way down.

Like I said, what does the fact that the Nets overpaid for Wallace have to do with Green?  And how is that "hav[ing] it both ways"? 

Wallace has largely sucked relative to his contract.  His production on a per minute basis is well below his historical norms.

Green has largely sucked relative to his contract.  His production on a per minute basis is exactly on par with his historical norms.

I don't want either one of them on the Celtics playing on their current contract.

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
At least Green is tearing it up tonight.  Zero shots and two points in 11 minutes so far.