Author Topic: Start Green, Pierce sixth man  (Read 16264 times)

Re: Start Green, Pierce sixth man
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:34 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
This team would be 10 games over .500 with Pop as coach.  Which tells you where the problem lies

Sadly, I believe it.

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2013, 12:00:35 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I wouldn't mind trying starting Green, our team is going nowhere this year, we should start thinking of next season now.
The Celtics decided to invest in green, like it or not.
that being said, i don't think Doc has it to move PP to the bench.
I also would like to see Melo getting some minutes with the Celtics.(not saying he is ready)

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Thoughts?

Danny said the following in May 2011,

"Maybe there’s a change of roles. Maybe Paul comes off the bench, cuts down on his minutes. Maybe we find a way to get Jeff more minutes. His role will expand if he’s back here next year. There’s no question about that …"

It's unfortunate that Green missed the entire season last year. Otherwise, it would have been interesting to see how that would have turned out.

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2013, 01:24:10 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
This team would be 10 games over .500 with Pop as coach.  Which tells you where the problem lies

Sadly, I believe it.

Yup. Doc's schemes seems stale and i get the feeling that some of his players are tuning him out already.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:11 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

If the Spurs had a coach as good as Pop they'd have won a title or two in the last 5 years.

Lol tp

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2013, 01:51:25 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Sadly, I believe it.

Maybe, but they'd most likely lose in the first or second round of the playoffs.  Whereas Doc's team will most likely at least reach the conference finals. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:52 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd rather see Doc do what Pops does, and rest Pierce for a game or two.  I think being demoted in favor of a lesser player is counter-productive.
Yeah, I'd like to see this happen too. It has become necessary.

Pierce is just shooting the C's out of games on nights where he doesn't have his legs and his defense has been deplorable on those nights. Much better gluing his butt to the bench and playing a much lesser player if that is all he can contribute. Especially if it helps him recover quicker and makes this bad spells shorter. Because right now these multi-game stretches of horrid basketball is killing the team whenever they happen.

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2013, 06:04:32 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
The Captain isn't sitting, period, unless he is injured.   JG has not earned a starting nod and it would be an insult to Paul.

This is exactly the very reason why this team is going down the dandrums...why oh why are we so attached to Paul, he is freaking 35 yrs old and still some people on this board still thinks PP is 28, lets all pause for a minute and breath..I am not advocating PP sit but heck the guy needs help, he is struggling and is in a shooting funk.

The same was said of Ray Allen last year, he ain't effective starting anymre and it took an Allen injury before doc realized he had to make the adjustment.

Are we really waiting for a PP injury before we should see what Jeff can really affer as a starter.

This team needs a shot in the arm and people see PP, Rondo, Terry and Bass as the main culprits for this freefall, of those players Terry remains n the bench and Rondo should continue to start therefore PP with all his medals and accolades in the past seems to be the right guy that should adjust his game, for all we know PP might even have a better and improved shooting if he comes off the bench...we can never really know until we try.

Me also thinks the dynamics of Rondo would change once he is forced not to defer to Pierce in the starting line up, it forces Rondo to be more shoot first knowing he won't have to defer to Pierce which he always does...I love Pierce but he is 35 and its evident that his game is sliding off the cliff faster than he could realize it himself, lets admit it, he ain't young anymore, Heck even KG needs to sit but we just don't have someone to replace him so he still plays heavy minutes and still needs to start.

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The Captain isn't sitting, period, unless he is injured.   JG has not earned a starting nod and it would be an insult to Paul.

This is exactly the very reason why this team is going down the dandrums...why oh why are we so attached to Paul, he is freaking 35 yrs old and still some people on this board still thinks PP is 28, lets all pause for a minute and breath..I am not advocating PP sit but heck the guy needs help, he is struggling and is in a shooting funk.

The same was said of Ray Allen last year, he ain't effective starting anymre and it took an Allen injury before doc realized he had to make the adjustment.

Are we really waiting for a PP injury before we should see what Jeff can really affer as a starter.

This team needs a shot in the arm and people see PP, Rondo, Terry and Bass as the main culprits for this freefall, of those players Terry remains n the bench and Rondo should continue to start therefore PP with all his medals and accolades in the past seems to be the right guy that should adjust his game, for all we know PP might even have a better and improved shooting if he comes off the bench...we can never really know until we try.

Me also thinks the dynamics of Rondo would change once he is forced not to defer to Pierce in the starting line up, it forces Rondo to be more shoot first knowing he won't have to defer to Pierce which he always does...I love Pierce but he is 35 and its evident that his game is sliding off the cliff faster than he could realize it himself, lets admit it, he ain't young anymore, Heck even KG needs to sit but we just don't have someone to replace him so he still plays heavy minutes and still needs to start.

Agreed all around.  Cleveland would be a good game for Doc to try Sully and Green in the starting lineup.

Oh, and there was a time when Rondo was grievously upset with Doc giving the Big Three star treatment over the rest of the team.  If Rondo can't play more consistently, including better defense, when given that younger team to start with, Doc should try starting Lee and Bradley together as well.  Even though Rondo would still get big minutes, it would send a message to the entire team that the entire team has to play consistently hard, smart, and unselfishly.

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Pierce isn't the problem. 

Replacing him in the lineup with a player that is weaker offensively, defensively, rebounding and a big step back in leadership doesn't make any sense unless the Celtics are desperate to prove they made the right trade and they didn't over pay him on the contract.

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2013, 08:25:40 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's not really an ideal decision considering Pierce isn't playing well and Jeff Green just isn't that good.

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'd rather see Doc do what Pops does, and rest Pierce for a game or two.  I think being demoted in favor of a lesser player is counter-productive.
Yeah, I'd like to see this happen too. It has become necessary.

Pierce is just shooting the C's out of games on nights where he doesn't have his legs and his defense has been deplorable on those nights. Much better gluing his butt to the bench and playing a much lesser player if that is all he can contribute. Especially if it helps him recover quicker and makes this bad spells shorter. Because right now these multi-game stretches of horrid basketball is killing the team whenever they happen.

This .^

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2013, 10:32:17 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Pierce isn't THE problem, but neither is Green or Lee or even Bass or Terry.  The team as a whole is a problem, which is why thinking about something to change the nature of the team makes sense.

Everybody seems to agree that D'Antoni needs to adjust his system to fit the Lakers' roster.  Well, why doesn't Doc have to adjust to his roster?

Mike

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Not sure how Pierce is having an all star level season since he isn't really even in the running for being named an all star. He is shooting atrociously for his standards and instead of working for better shots, he keeps firing up garbage. He is very hit and miss this season with 10 of his 40 games under 35% shooting and half of those under 30%. I think his "low" stats are misleading because he is so hot and cold now that he is costing us games when he isn't on. Bad shots and poor defense don't put him at an all star level.

How far from normal (for Pierce) would you imagine that 1/4 of his games shooting under 35% and about 1/8 of his games under 30% is? It's not as atypical as you think it is.

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Pierce isn't THE problem, but neither is Green or Lee or even Bass or Terry.  The team as a whole is a problem, which is why thinking about something to change the nature of the team makes sense.

Everybody seems to agree that D'Antoni needs to adjust his system to fit the Lakers' roster.  Well, why doesn't Doc have to adjust to his roster?

Mike

How do you propose he does? Make Rondo play off ball a lot more? I don't think that helps us.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14