Author Topic: Start Green, Pierce sixth man  (Read 16277 times)

Start Green, Pierce sixth man
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Thoughts?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Start Green, Pierce sixth man
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm in. Why not? Worst that happens is we get our teeth kicked in by another crappy team. Let's also start Sullinger, and Bass is 13th man.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
No. What's Jeff Green done to earn a starting spot?

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I'm in. Why not? Worst that happens is we get our teeth kicked in by another crappy team. Let's also start Sullinger, and Bass is 13th man.

It would effectively keep Pierce's minutes down and we could finally see how Green performs as a starter. Bass can be waterboy
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Yes. Start Green and let Rondo feed him buckets. Pierce should be considered an instant offense player at this point, not a primary option/only option/leading scorer on a contender (He's 35). We need to put the players who can't create their own shot and need help to play with Rondo. Like Green, AB, KG (at this point in his career). Starting PF is a whole separate topic (Torn between Bass & Sully)

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Ditto.  The "Green just needs an opportunity" myth is false, especially in light of the fact that Green's per-minute production over the last few years has stayed remarkably steady.  This Jeff Green is the Jeff Green we're going to get, period.

Since 2008, the strength of our team has been the starting lineup.  I think the team took a hit when that starting lineup was initially broken up, and I think sending Pierce to the bench would only make that things worse.  That's without even mentioning that Pierce is a vastly superior player to Green.  I just don't see how benching our best scorer is going to help anything.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Lets follow the Ginobli path, seems to work for them. Pierce could always finish games and likely would
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
No thanks. Now if you want to get a "Start Sully" Thread going, then I'm there.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Ditto.  The "Green just needs an opportunity" myth is false, especially in light of the fact that Green's per-minute production over the last few years has stayed remarkably steady.  This Jeff Green is the Jeff Green we're going to get, period.
The myth is a myth; I don't accept the notion that your starting five has to be your best five players. Was Sefolosha better than Harden? I don't see a problem with Green being our starting SF on the floor with Rondo. He's not a better player than Pierce, but he doesn't need to be.

Also, JG doesn't jack up bricks, and this will help keep me from losing my voice while watching games. Admittedly this is a selfish reason.

I just don't see how benching our best scorer is going to help anything.
Well, he's sixth man in this scenario. He's going to get a lot of minutes still, and will be playing against the bench of the other team for the most part. He can still be on the floor for his trademark "clogged toilet" iso at the end of games. Maybe the match-up against bench players helps cover for his age.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 04:53:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The myth is a myth; I don't accept the notion that your starting five has to be your best five players. Was Sefolosha better than Harden? I don't see a problem with Green being our starting SF on the floor with Rondo. He's not a better player than Pierce, but he doesn't need to be.

Also, JG doesn't jack up bricks, and this will help keep me from losing my voice while watching games. Admittedly this is a selfish reason.

Well, he's sixth man in this scenario. He's going to get a lot of minutes still, and will be playing against the bench of the other team for the most part. He can still be on the floor for his trademark "clogged toilet" iso at the end of games. Maybe the match-up against bench players helps cover for his age.

Who would be the Celtics Duncan/Parker in terms of scoring?

Who would be the Celtics Durrant/Westbrook?

Rondo isn't that type of scorer, yet would likely be the 2nd best offensive weapon after KG with a starting Green. 

And Green is not a myth.  He is consistent season after season.  It is as a role player.   

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 04:54:15 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

So....we do what?  Sit around and twiddle our thumbs while waiting for a magic fairy to solve everything?  I'm not sure starting Green over Pierce is a good move, but this team is currently trying to hang onto the 8th playoff spot in the East and, with the season about half over, have essentially played maybe 4 or 5 really good games all season.  What's the downside to trying it?  Hurting Pierce's feelings?

Mike

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Don't see why not. Might as well give it a shot, nothing else is working.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Since 2008, the strength of our team has been the starting lineup.  I think the team took a hit when that starting lineup was initially broken up, and I think sending Pierce to the bench would only make that things worse.  That's without even mentioning that Pierce is a vastly superior player to Green.  I just don't see how benching our best scorer is going to help anything.

This whole comment completely avoids the fact that Jeff Green is a superior defender at this point in his career, and that our whole system is built on defense.

But hey, by all means, let's ignore that.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Rondo isn't that type of scorer, yet would likely be the 2nd best offensive weapon after KG with a starting Green. 

And Green is not a myth.  He is consistent season after season.  It is as a role player.

Here's a newsflash.  There's nobody on Boston who's Parker/Duncan or Westbrook/Durant.  If that approach is the only way to win, why are we even bothering?

Mike

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Here's a newsflash.  There's nobody on Boston who's Parker/Duncan or Westbrook/Durant.  If that approach is the only way to win, why are we even bothering?

Mike

No, that's why the Celtics still has Pierce.

The best offensive and defensive (as well as rebounding, passing and of course leadership) SF that the Celtics have. 

Do the Celtics need a change?  Probably.  But the change most likely needs to be a change in personal.  I just wished Green was more consistent so he could build some real trade value.