Author Topic: Start Green, Pierce sixth man  (Read 16312 times)

Re: Start Green, Pierce sixth man
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I agree this move might be pulling at straws a bit but what else is there to do with our current roster? Green at least gives Rondo SOMEBODY to run with and some needed athleticism. Pierce would still likely play more minutes than Green and Pierce could play point foward with the bench. I think we can all agree that Sully>Bass but Bass gets the start.

I'm not saying this is going to save our season but at least it's something that may change the dynamic of our team. Maybe it blows up and doesn't work but you can't sit still and hope it all works out
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
let's bench our best scorer when we're having offensive problems. 

Last 10 games, Pierce has been shooting 42% from the field.

Last 10 games, Green has been shooting 47% from the field.

The idea behind starting Green is to get the team playing differently.  It might work.  It might not.  But if this team can't go any farther than Pierce is going to carry it this year, why are we wasting time caring about a team that has no shot to win it all?

Mike

I don't think it's worth risking isolating Pierce to promote a mediocre player who is performing almost exactly at his career averages.

I mean, why not start Wilcox over KG, just to shake things up?  It makes about equal sense to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If, as some feel, Jeff's not good enough to start the game, and Pierce keeps playing like he has been, then we need to trade both of them and get some SF's who can do what it takes to deal with Miami....

Kirilenko?  Ariza?  Matt Barnes? Corey Brewer?  Wilson Chandler?  Martell Webster?

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm a bit surprised by the "it may not work, but we need to do something" argument, with few suggesting *why* this move will improve the team.

Pierce's shooting has been off his career norms this year, but he's having an excellent, all-star caliber season.  He hasn't been the problem, and he's not the one who needs to have his role screwed with.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I am incredibly unconcerned with ruining the current chemistry and dominance this Celtics team is displaying by making changes to the lineup.

In fact, after last night's game against Detroit, I would seriously consider calling up Melo and starting him with KG, Green, Lee and Bradley for the next game. Just tell the other guys you think they seem tired, need some rest.

I'd bring Sully and Barbosa off the bench and only remotely consider using everyone else.

Start Green? Sure, I wouldn't be too concerned about hurting anyone's feelings. I think the team has pretty much hurt everyone's feelings with the way they've played so far - with the lack of consistent effort and heart.

1. Hurt the owners who are paying them millions to at least work hard.
2. Hurt the coaches who are trying to put them into a position to win. (though that seems debatable as well sometimes)
3. Hurt the fans who have no idea what to expect game to game - but at least hope for hard work and effort, if not a win.

I thought maybe we should have started Green from day 1.

Like someone else said, see what he can Rondo can do together. The Rondo / Bradley / Green uptempo game.

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
I understand also continuing to start Pierce but something has to change with regards to personnel. maybe if Pierce doesn't have it go to Green early.   

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If, as some feel, Jeff's not good enough to start the game, and Pierce keeps playing like he has been, then we need to trade both of them and get some SF's who can do what it takes to deal with Miami....

Kirilenko?  Ariza?  Matt Barnes? Corey Brewer?  Wilson Chandler?  Martell Webster?

Pierce has been fine.  He's been playing at an all-star level for a SF.

Green is a below average starter.

Seriously?  Barnes or Webster over Pierce?  Yeah...

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Glen Davis was a role player until he went to Orlando.

He's put up better numbers and has grown as a player since becoming a starter down there.

Avery Bradley was basically a scrub until Ray went down and he was pushed into starting.

Jeff Green certainly "appears" to be a role player at this point, but who knows what he will do as a starter. He may stink it up or reach another level. I don't anyone can say for certain.

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I would like to see Pierce get a quick hook now and again.

There have been quite a few nights this season where he clearly hasn't had it and needed to be placed on the bench. Jeff Green should get opportunities alongside the starters in those instances.

Doc needs to show less loyalty to Pierce. He isn't reliable enough anymore to warrant it.

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

He's put up better numbers and has grown as a player since becoming a starter down there.

Avery Bradley was basically a scrub until Ray went down and he was pushed into starting.

Jeff Green certainly "appears" to be a role player at this point, but who knows what he will do as a starter. He may stink it up or reach another level. I don't anyone can say for certain.

Green was a starter for three years at OKC. 

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I agree but I also think Green is well capable of becoming an above average starting small forward with a bit of work.

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Again, his per-minute averages are the exact same now as they were in OKC.  Look at his Per-36 Minutes averages:

2010:  14.7 points
2011: 14.8 points
2011 (OKC): 14.8 points
2011 (BOS):  14.9 points
2013:  14.7 points

Regardless of whether Green is starting or coming off the bench, adjusting to a new team or comfortable in his role, playing in Boston or Oklahoma City, he's the same player.

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I'm a bit surprised by the "it may not work, but we need to do something" argument, with few suggesting *why* this move will improve the team.
It isn't like it's being suggested for no reason. Pierce is a better player than Green, but Green has advantages over Pierce that can be exploited in the first unit. How about those transition buckets? How about attacking the rim? How about a post game?

Pierce's shooting has been off his career norms this year, but he's having an excellent, all-star caliber season.  He hasn't been the problem, and he's not the one who needs to have his role screwed with.
He can have an all-star season off the bench, too. I don't know how this has an impact on his role, since in either case he's being asked to score. Nobody is asking him to sit in the corner and shoot threes or run around screens all day.

I don't understand the implicit holiness of a starting position. Why can't we put Pierce against bench scrubs for easy points, and have him fresh on the floor at the end of close games? Isn't that still a good use of his talent?

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I agree but I also think Green is well capable of becoming an above average starting small forward with a bit of work.

I don't think he has the makeup for it.  He lacks passion or aggressiveness or killer instinct.  Whatever it is, it's vital to being a good player, and Green hasn't shown it.

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I don't hate the idea.

Pierce's same MPG gets condensed.  I have felt for a while that Pierce sits too long on the  bench in stretches and gets out of rhythm.  Start JG and bring Pierce in at the 6 minute mark (Pierce at the 2 or 3; maybe leave Jeff in depending upon the match-ups and Jeff's play).  Pierce then plays 15 out the remaining 18 minutes in each half, and plays some of it against lesser talent.

I do think this makes our starting lineup a worse scoring lineup, but a KG, Sully, Green, AB, RR lineup can play D and rebound.  Pierce, Bass, Lee, Barbosa, and Terry can all score off the bench.  Still need another solid big along with Wilcox.

I think this shakeup may be worth a try.