Author Topic: Questions re the Chicago game  (Read 2203 times)

Re: Questions re the Chicago game
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Pierce is down for now. Better to stay on the bench

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
"How in the world was putting Pierce on Hamilton (and Green at small forward) going to have ANY negative effect on the team?"

TP MBunge

I get not changing game plans as a general rule but when one thing is clearly not working, I'm willing to try anything different that might work. Again, you can always go back to the "first" thing that wasn't working on that particular night...

But I also think we should bring Melo up and give him a few minutes here and there.

I am really completely unconcerned about Melo messing up the dominance we are currently inflicting on the league with our size and superior skill at this point. Truly, I'm not worried about any irreversible damage melo could do to this team by playing 5 10 minutes in a a random game.   

I actually don't think he's ready yet, but any 7 footer putting up 14 blocks one night, 16 boards another night, 26 points another night - I'll give him 5 minutes in a big league game, do a heat check on him...

I would have done a heat check with Pierce on Rip, Green at SF - see what's up for 3-5 minutes...

Long way to a point - trying something different is Ok. Especially when you are a border line lottery team.

The John Starks analogy is spot on as well. I think Phil Jackson is the best coach I've ever seen at making those types of little in game changes. In fact, he wouldn't hesitate to pull his entire starting unit if needed. I enjoyed that part of his coaching.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Thanks 60's fan...

There are certain things that are unacceptable and guys should be called on it when it happens.

I mean I have literally watched off guards come from the top of the key, and not run, but literally walk by our bigs for a rebound and the put back. It's mind boggling.

I wish I could cut and paste the play I'm talking about with Butler going by Bass. Anyway...

I'm just a big believer that rebounding has far less to do with size than it does effort and discipline and boxing out.

Saying we don't have the size is a cop out to me. Just my opinion based on watching the games and having played against and boxed out much taller, larger, stronger guys all night on many occasions. Rebounding is a mentality as much as anything else.