Author Topic: the thing about rondo  (Read 6225 times)

Re: the thing about rondo
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The real question going forward is Rondo the type of player that will attract that top line scorer. 

Rondo will need that guy who can score. 

If the Celtics can not add that in the future, then it would probably make sense to move Rondo in the future. 

Right now, unless there are some socks being blown off Ainge's feet, Rondo should not be traded.

I think he can attract talent - I remember OJ Mayo making a quote a few years ago about wanting to play with Rondo because he can get scorers the ball in their spots. I also think he's getting more recruiting talent, he was one of the primary recruiters for Courtney Lee this offseason.

To me, I think it really will depend on what type of cap/roster flexibility we'll have moving forward.  If we're capped out and/or unwilling to make trades, it doesn't how much people want to play with him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I would like to some how turn Rondo into a Milsap and T Evens & D Cousins return. 

Rondo < Evens & Cousins/Milsap

Something like this

Rondo/Bass/Bradley and Melo out w/ 1st and Second

Utah gets Melo/Bradley and Salmons and  1st & 2nd from us

Sacramento gets Rondo/Bass and  out Salmons/ Evens/Cousins and a first

Evens /Barbosa
Lee / Terry
Green / Pierce
Milsap / Sully / Wilcox
Cousins / KG / Collins

Run the kids 35 minutes each and let Terry/Pierce and KG get 22 minutes each off the bench.

Milsap < Bradley/Melo and a first
D Cousins/ Evens < Rondo/Bass 

Diggles

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I used to like to watch Rondo  , now kinda dread seeing him on the court.  The starters seem to work better with somebody else putting the offense into gear sooner. Watching ROndo stand and dribble the ball away , instead of attacking is infurrating to watch .  I turn the channel . 

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
The flip side to that type of sort of trade is keeping Rondo obviously.

If we keep Rondo long term as a GM I would surrender myself to the reality that Rondo:
A) Will never be a consistent 20 point+ a night scorer
B) He is actually suited to be a low key 2nd / 3rd fiddle who can orchestrate but perhaps not truly lead - he's a little too mercurial for that role and you can't change the stripes on a cat.

The key for this team moving forward if we keep Rondo is:

A) Surround him with 2-3 three elite, young scorers
B) let him orchestrate that talent offensively and when he goes off for 30 on a given night just take it as a bonus.

This team was absolutely deadly when you had KG, Pierce and Ray in their primes.

A big part of that was because Rondo had three consistent, legit 18-20 point+ a night weapons on the floor.

If Melo pans out as a "better more athletic Perkins" and Sully can turn into a 15 point+ a night guy at PF - you would just need to add two "very good" young scorers at off and at the three, for example an OJ mayo and a Rudy Gay.

I don't know who in that hypothetical group would be the "leader" alpha dog but hopefully one of them would emerge within the context of the team.

It might be Sully if he can figure out how to score 15-18 a night along with 10+ boards. He's inspirational in the paint when he's getting into it with people. He "could" be that guy the team rallies around down the road and he has the personality for it.         

I'm on board with this. I'm in favor of making Sully a much bigger part of the offense. All our "team of the future" needs is that star wing who can light up the scoreboard and play a little D. Get Sully to 15 a night and we get 10-15 from the C a night and look out. Rondo is never going to be a big scorer but he doesn't need to be if you get some light it up scorers on this team with Melo/Oden like player anchoring the defense and Sully boarding and beasting..

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 06:03:15 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah JHTruth, that's pretty much it to me.

1. Melo and Sully have very complimentary skill sets. If Melo "gets there" that duo could be very dynamic from a rebounding and defending standpoint.

2. Rondo is a dominant "play maker".

3. Let Sully and Melo beast in the paint

4. Let Rondo orchestrate from the point

5. Get two 18-20+ point per night scorers at the 2/3 spots.

Rudy Gay could be one of those guys if there was a way to land him.

Maybe Jeff Green can turn into that guy.

A free agent max guy might get you the other guy. Who is coming up at the 2 & 3 over the next 1-3 seasons in free agency?

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
1. Melo and Sully have very complimentary skill sets. If Melo "gets there" that duo could be very dynamic from a rebounding and defending standpoint.

Melo is a pathetic rebounder.  Despite what some of these hype the guy posts alude to, he is 45th in rebounding in the DL.  6.9 RPG , Harangody averages 13.9 RPG go figure.  JaJuan Johnson is averaging 7.2 RPG.  Get the picture?  Melo is nothing to write home about on the boards.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/Rebounds.jsp?league=20&season=22012&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

Good news is he young and has room to improve.  His hands are not great and should get better.  He also is weak and should improve as his strength improves with NBA weight training.  So I think he could get this number up with some work.

Defensively, he is going to be a beast though.

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
To Celtics4ever:

Well, yes. That's exactly what I said in my post.

1. If Melo "gets there" his skill set compliments Sully's very well.

2. Sully is a beast on the boards and melo, with his length, lateral quickness and undeniable ability to block and affect.alter shots around the rim, compliments Sully bully act and  rebounding very well.

3. I didn't say "melo was a great rebounder" because he isn't.

My point was that Sully has already proven to be a surprisingly good defender and a beast on the boards. You combine that with a defensive beast at center and you've got something going in the paint...

So if Melo can "get there", the next question is how do we then get our next Paul Pierce, a guy who can light it up for 20+ a night for the next ten years?

Also, I agree that Melo can improve. I recall that Perkins couldn't stay on a basketball court for more than 10 minutes a game for his first three years because of foul trouble. Couldn't put a pea in the ocean, etc...

I think Melo has the potential to be a good scorer at this level, an Ok rebounder and a very good defender and shot blocker. His body is already way ahead of Perkins as a rookie.

I think it depends on Melo's work ethic and learning curve.

But I know I certainly wouldn't want to trade him yet.