Author Topic: the thing about rondo  (Read 6223 times)

the thing about rondo
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I've always been a big rondo fan...
that said i have become disillusioned with his potential to be the cornerstone of future celtic teams.
his incredible performances against top tier opposition and superstar level play in the playoffs have always made me forgive his lackluster, inconsistent regular season play.

but here's the thing... what happens when KG and pierce are gone and we go through an almost inevitable year or more of mediocrity? is rondo going to step up and lead with fire and consistent performances during this transition?
I doubt it, in fact i think he will A: sulk, B: become disinterested and C: eventually demand a trade.
if we get to this point his trade value will be much less then it is today.

so, lets just go ahead and bite the bullet, trade him now while his value is still super high.

could be that this lights a career long fire in his belly and he makes me eat my words.

but thats fine because I now believe that he has become to complacent and sure of his position, that he will continue to preform at superstar level only as long as the c's are competitive. if/when the c's falter he is not the kind of player to lead us through a rebuild.

Re: the thing about rondo
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
How much would you need in return to part with Rondo?

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:59:24 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Me personally would at least need an all star (or upcoming all star).

No picks, I don't want draft picks.

What I would want we prob couldn't get.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I've always been a big rondo fan...
that said i have become disillusioned with his potential to be the cornerstone of future celtic teams.
his incredible performances against top tier opposition and superstar level play in the playoffs have always made me forgive his lackluster, inconsistent regular season play.

but here's the thing... what happens when KG and pierce are gone and we go through an almost inevitable year or more of mediocrity? is rondo going to step up and lead with fire and consistent performances during this transition?
I doubt it, in fact i think he will A: sulk, B: become disinterested and C: eventually demand a trade.
if we get to this point his trade value will be much less then it is today.

so, lets just go ahead and bite the bullet, trade him now while his value is still super high.

could be that this lights a career long fire in his belly and he makes me eat my words.

but thats fine because I now believe that he has become to complacent and sure of his position, that he will continue to preform at superstar level only as long as the c's are competitive. if/when the c's falter he is not the kind of player to lead us through a rebuild.

This doesn't seem much different than all the posts claiming we needed to trade Rondo after he was included in trade rumors because he was going to sulk all year.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I just like to see the Celtics have better ball movement on the floor when Rondo's on the floor than when he's not.  Is that too much to ask from your lead point guard, someone considered one of the very best pure points in the league?  The endless ball-hogging kills me.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i generally agree w the OP
but rondo does seem fairly loyal to doc and the organization, he's hard to read bc hes so quiet.

but i'm hoping that its possible that when KG and PP aren't around at all then he will really step up his effort/ scoring bc then it will really be his show,his team, not just people saying that it is.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
A lot.
A package with rondo in it would have to return at least a player like dmc, or similar plus a high lotto pick or young player with potential.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I too am a big fan of Rondo and think he is a unique, rare talent that puts up the biggest numbers when it matters the most.

The three things I struggle with Rondo with are:
1. As mentioned, his lackluster and inconsistent effort much of the time.
2. Stupid turnover trying to make the "highlight play"
3. Matador defense - or at least that's what it appears to be to to me. Guy's just waltzing by him left front and center -or him losing track of his man -who gets a layup.

I wish that he'd just take all that talent, and focus it with smart, fundamental, 101 basketball. He'd have a triple double every night.

I would consider trading Rondo as well. To answer another poster, what I would want in return is one superstar at positions 2-5 and a 'good" point guard who can shoot  consistently from the top of the key and three land.

For this team, if I could pull off Rondo, Green and Melo for Cousins, John Salmons and Isaiah Thomas, I'd seriously consider it if Sac was looking for a salary dump.

Cousins / KG / Sully / Pierce and Bradley could possibly get us a ring this year. That front line would beat people up in the paint. Isaiah Thomas can knock down open jumpers.

Cousins / Collins / Wilcox
KG / Sully / Bass
Pierce / Salmons
Bradley / Lee
Isaiah / Barbosa / Jet

If Cousins panned out, he and Sully could be a force to be reckoned with for the next 10+ years.   

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm not saying I'd do that trade but I'd think about something along those lines.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

I would move him for the following players:

Steph Curry (this is a deal that really should have happened a few years ago, now it's too late)
Rudy Gay
Jrue Holiday
Damian Lilliard
Kyrie Irving
Chris Paul
(along with all the obvious ones like Durant and Lebron, which won't happen)

Then there's a secondary list of guys who i'd love to get if they were packaged with other quality players. Guys like George, Cousins, Monroe, Drummond, Mike Conley, Tyreke...

I don't think any of these teams trade these guys for Rondo, unforfutantely I feel that he is overvalued in Boston and, because of his national reputation as a punk, undervalues everywhere else.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
The flip side to that type of sort of trade is keeping Rondo obviously.

If we keep Rondo long term as a GM I would surrender myself to the reality that Rondo:
A) Will never be a consistent 20 point+ a night scorer
B) He is actually suited to be a low key 2nd / 3rd fiddle who can orchestrate but perhaps not truly lead - he's a little too mercurial for that role and you can't change the stripes on a cat.

The key for this team moving forward if we keep Rondo is:

A) Surround him with 2-3 three elite, young scorers
B) let him orchestrate that talent offensively and when he goes off for 30 on a given night just take it as a bonus.

This team was absolutely deadly when you had KG, Pierce and Ray in their primes.

A big part of that was because Rondo had three consistent, legit 18-20 point+ a night weapons on the floor.

If Melo pans out as a "better more athletic Perkins" and Sully can turn into a 15 point+ a night guy at PF - you would just need to add two "very good" young scorers at off and at the three, for example an OJ mayo and a Rudy Gay.

I don't know who in that hypothetical group would be the "leader" alpha dog but hopefully one of them would emerge within the context of the team.

It might be Sully if he can figure out how to score 15-18 a night along with 10+ boards. He's inspirational in the paint when he's getting into it with people. He "could" be that guy the team rallies around down the road and he has the personality for it.           

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If we are going to keep Rondo, which I certainly don't think is a bad move.  His jump shot has improved drastically this season and if that keeps up he could be unstoppable.

We have to get finishers around the basket.  When KG got here he would finish those inside passes, now he turns them into fade away jumpers.  And we have to get at least two players on the floor with Rondo who can stretch the D.  The team we have now doesn't really fit with what Rondo does best.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm starting to be amenable to the idea of a Rondo trade. If only so he can stop being a Boston scapegoat. Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I'd love to see him get a fresh start in a system with a new fanbase... a place like Dallas could be good for him.

The issue with trading Rondo is that the package the C's get back is going to be a package lesser players and/or draft picks. Either way, a Rondo trade would seemingly kickstart a legit rebuilding phase.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I see both sides of the debate. But trading Eastern Conference All-Star Starting Point-Guard? I don't know.  ???

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
If we are going to keep Rondo, which I certainly don't think is a bad move.  His jump shot has improved drastically this season and if that keeps up he could be unstoppable.

We have to get finishers around the basket.  When KG got here he would finish those inside passes, now he turns them into fade away jumpers.  And we have to get at least two players on the floor with Rondo who can stretch the D.  The team we have now doesn't really fit with what Rondo does best.

What team would fit him better? It felt like some of the off season moves we made.this past year had a lot to do with fitting to Rondos strength and it hasn't really done much