Author Topic: Big Picture  (Read 1419 times)

Big Picture
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
In the grand scheme of things the 2013 Celtics where destine for a hard road. Due to this past off-seasons FA situation (no one to really throw big $$ at) the Celts where left to walk the line. They where stuck with no real option other than to give the Pierce + KG era a few more years. Anything else would have resulted in the celtics being an early lottery team for a top weak 2013 draft. The Cs had to bring back Bass and Green because the cap structure wouldn't them to go outside the team to add similar talent.

The current roster is a mixed bag of players at different stages in there careers. This shows how Danny is trying to create balance to prepare for the future.

Past Prime Vets
     KG , PP, Terry, Collins, Wilcox, Barbosa
Prime Vets
     RR, Bass, Lee, Green
Raw Young players/prospects
     AB, Sully, Melo

Last year the rumored trades that didn't happen where

Ray for Mayo + a pick (prog #25)

Pierce for Okur + Shawne Williams #6 pick

These moves would have made 2013 a much different year.

The guard rotation would have been Rondo and Mayo starting with Ab backing up the 1+2. Also making the full mid-level available becuse Terry would be needed.

The #6 pick would have likely been Barnes, the #25 could have been any number of players. I would think Draymond Green or Jae Crowder.

KG wouldn't have likely resigned. I think Danny may have still signed Bass, Green and Lee but he would have probably gone for shorter deals. I would have also figured on him finding a reasonable FA center (or keeping steimsma).

We would have started the season with Rondo, Mayo, Green, Bass, FA C. The bench would have been AB, Barnes, Sully.

I think this trade deadline is going to leave Ainge with a similar situation where he has to determine whether to tow the line between the future and present or go all in for the Post KG+PP era. I think the time has past for going all in to win this year.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Big Picture
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think if those trades were made, Danny would have either tried to package 6 and the later picks to move up for MKG or he would have taken Drummond.  Drummond seems like the kind of player Danny would have gambled on, especially in a situation where the team was more in a rebuilding situation (especially given all of the young guys were smalls and not bigs).  Rivers was also a possibility, though with Mayo, Bradley, and Rondo, I don't think he would have gone small.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I figured Barnes because the Cs worked him out leading up to the draft and where reportage to be looking into moving up for him.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think if those trades were made, Danny would have either tried to package 6 and the later picks to move up for MKG or he would have taken Drummond.  Drummond seems like the kind of player Danny would have gambled on, especially in a situation where the team was more in a rebuilding situation (especially given all of the young guys were smalls and not bigs).  Rivers was also a possibility, though with Mayo, Bradley, and Rondo, I don't think he would have gone small.

I definitely think he would have gone Drummond too. Heck maybe sully woulda been there still at 25 too. I bet kg walks away,

Rondo
Mayo/Bradley
Green
Sully/Bass
Drummond/Wilcox

Nice young squad there. Probably could be at the same record we currently have too. Maybe a couple games under 500

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I think Danny would have gone Barnes over Drummond. The scoring of Barnes and Mayo would have made a great compliment to Rondo.

But I have to wonder if looking at what could have been for this season makes Danny more likely to pull the trigger this trade deadline?
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet