Author Topic: If the playoffs started today (Standings, Jan. 21 '13)  (Read 3861 times)

If the playoffs started today (Standings, Jan. 21 '13)
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
EASTERN

MIA vs. BOS
NYK vs. MIL
IND vs. ATL
BKN vs. CHI

WESTERN

OKC vs. HOU
LAC vs. UTA
SAS vs. DEN
MEM vs. GSW

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

...Guess which team does not make the cut? That's right, the 73-9 17-23 LA Lakers  ;D And yeah, I know we're only half way through the season, but still. So many good teams out West, the Lakers truly need a miracle just to make the playoffs. For us C's fans, that can never be a bad thing. We're still one banner up and we'd like to keep it that way.

Thoughts?

Re: If the playoffs started today (Standings, Jan. 21 '13)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:31:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would be happy to play Miami in the first round. Gotta go through them to win the East. Makes no difference whether it's the first round or the last round.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
WESTERN

OKC vs. HOU
LAC vs. UTA
SAS vs. DEN
MEM vs. GSW

...Guess which team does not make the cut? That's right, the 73-9 17-23 LA Lakers  ;D And yeah, I know we're only half way through the season, but still. So many good teams out West, the Lakers truly need a miracle just to make the playoffs. For us C's fans, that can never be a bad thing. We're still one banner up and we'd like to keep it that way.

Thoughts?

I have been fairly unimpressed with the bottom seeds in the West this season.

I don't think much of Houston, Utah or Denver. Golden State would be a very good team with a healthy Bogut but I think they are punching above their weight right now with Bogut out of the lineup. So-so on GSW. 

There is a large drop-off in quality there with those bottom seeds in the West with the Lakers and Mavericks currently outside the playoff picture.

Those first round matchups are all looking very comfortable for the teams with homecourt advantage. Little no chance of an upset if those teams remain in the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would be happy to play Miami in the first round. Gotta go through them to win the East. Makes no difference whether it's the first round or the last round.
Yeah but I actually like watching Celtics basketball, especially in the playoffs and would prefer to get more than 5 or 6 games. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah but I actually like watching Celtics basketball, especially in the playoffs and would prefer to get more than 5 or 6 games.

It honestly might be our best chance, though - maybe catch them by surprise before they get too used to 'playoff' style basketball.

Moving up a spot essentially puts us in the 2nd seed [minus the homecourt advantage]. If someone said coming into the season that the Celtics would be playing the Knicks in the first round, I would think the Knicks were the 7th seed, not the Celtics. We can beat them - we just need to get our act together...

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It honestly might be our best chance, though - maybe catch them by surprise before they get too used to 'playoff' style basketball.

Moving up a spot essentially puts us in the 2nd seed [minus the homecourt advantage]. If someone said coming into the season that the Celtics would be playing the Knicks in the first round, I would think the Knicks were the 7th seed, not the Celtics. We can beat them - we just need to get our act together...
the Boston Celtics will never catch the Miami Heat by surprise.  Just won't happen. 

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Yeah, I agree, if we could steal one in South Beach, we'd be okay.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:37:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I still think Boston is the team best able to knock off Miami in a playoff series in the East.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
If we played MIA in the first round and actually made it to the second round, we would play the winner of BKN & CHI. That doesn't sound bad to me, why not get MIA out of the way when everyone is fresh. Then, granted we made it there, we would play MIL/IND/NYK/ATL. Getting Miami over with in the first round is sounding better and better.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
The way we are playing we would get smacked by the Heat. We need someone inside our a pure shot creator that can draw fouls. We lack both.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I still think Boston is the team best able to knock off Miami in a playoff series in the East.

Me too.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Then we might as well pencil the Heat into the Finals, because Boston is not going to beat them (if they even get to them).  Just isn't going to happen.  The Heat are a horrid match-up for Boston. 

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Me too.
It actually might be true.  Boston has had a singular obsession with stopping Miami since they beat us two years in a row.  Our entire team is built with the concept of matching up with Miami.  If anyone can knock off Miami, it's probably a healthy Boston team firing on all cylinders (KG and Pierce would have to be playing vintage ball). 

But if we play any team with size, we probably get knocked out.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435

Me too.
It actually might be true.  Boston has had a singular obsession with stopping Miami since they beat us two years in a row.  Our entire team is built with the concept of matching up with Miami.  If anyone can knock off Miami, it's probably a healthy Boston team firing on all cylinders (KG and Pierce would have to be playing vintage ball). 

But if we play any team with size, we probably get knocked out.

This year height is built to beat Miami. Rebounding is there very bright weakness right now. If we could grab someone who can dominate the boards we could beat them. But going small is playing thier hand. We always think we can beat Miami in a series but it doesn't happen. You add Josh Smith or Gortat to our lineup i like our chances much more. But as is no chance. Goes 6 at the most.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I knew Lakers wouldnt be a top 10 team, but never thought they may miss the playoffs. That would be AWESOME!!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin