Author Topic: Boston/Detroit trade idea  (Read 4405 times)

Boston/Detroit trade idea
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Now I'm usually Mr Optimistic and all but trade rumors seem to be appropriate.

Boston sends out: Rajon Rondo, Brandon Bass, Barbosa/Collins, possible draft pick

Detroit sends out: Brandon Knight, Andre Drummond, Corey Magette

Why Boston: time to rebuild and the only person of serious value on this team is Rondo. You get your center of the future on a kid with tremendous upside and point guard of the future. You also get very good cap space with the expiring Magettee deal and shave almost 11 mill at the end of this season. Keep your own young studs but also remain competetive.

Why for Detroit: Joe Dumars looks at Rondo and sees a lot of himself. He lands his super star point guard who's just really getting into his prime. You also land your starting PF with nice spacing ability that helps already has chemistry with Rondo and allows Monroe to have the paint to himself.

Boston Starting 5
Knight
Bradley
Pierce
Garnett
Drummond

Remain competitive and young/talented with good flexibility.

Detroit Starting 5
Rondo
Stuckey
Prince
Bass
Monroe

Don't tell me that team is not a solid playoff team still with very good youth.

Might need some tinkering but if Boston was to "blow it up" this would be a good deal for both teams.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Boston/Detroit trade idea
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:55:52 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Both teams say no.

Boston won't accept the immediate downgrade at PG for a project at C like Drummond.

Detroit won't pass up developing the one-two combo of Monroe and Drummond along with Knight as their PG of the future. They are perfectly content to set the alarm clock for 2015-16.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Both teams say no.

Boston won't accept the immediate downgrade at PG for a project at C like Drummond.

Detroit won't pass up developing the one-two combo of Monroe and Drummond along with Knight as their PG of the future. They are perfectly content to set the alarm clock for 2015-16.

Problem being with the one-two combo is they are both centers. Monroe is not a power forward and is clearly playing out of position when asked to do so. I don't think it's such a colossal downgrade at pg Knight is still just 20 years old and is clearly very talented.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:14:13 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Both teams say no.

Problem being with the one-two combo is they are both centers. Monroe is not a power forward and is clearly playing out of position when asked to do so. I don't think it's such a colossal downgrade at pg Knight is still just 20 years old and is clearly very talented.

Drummond is too deficient offensively to make the transition to PF, but all Monroe needs to do is develop that 15-foot jumper, and he'll be fine there. He's already quick enough to hang with most opposing PFs on defense.

I actually think Knight shows promise as a PG in the NBA. But he is still a few years away from getting there. Trading Rondo for Knight would mean a rebuild for the Celtics, making them only slightly better than the current Pistons for the short term, thanks to Garnett and Pierce.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:19:29 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Knight is a horrific downgrade at PG.  Secondly, Joe Dumars was not a PG, but a SG.  Also, Joe was a superior defensive player than RR, regardless how many times RR has made the all NBA defensive teams!!

I would NEVER do this trade.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 02:35:27 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I understand the interest in Detroit if their take is that their two studs--Drummond and Monroe--cause spacing problems and don't play well together.

Also, you can't expect to get one of those guys for less than something good. Because that's really what that trade is--Rondo for Drummond.  I think I'd do it, though of course it would be better if Danny didn't have to give up his best asset in the process.

But I think it would take a third team and a really clever swing to get one of the Detroit bigs for something other than Rondo.  Also, the competition from other teams would be daunting.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:00:13 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Both teams say no.

Twin towers, right?

I'm excited for this Pistons team.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
The biggest problem I see is pierce and garnett clearly would not be on board
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Detroit is not trading Drummond and Knight for basically Rondo and garbage. Waaaayyyy overvaluing Rondo here.  The Pistons see Drummond as a future NBA MVP. He's got the talent to be as good or better than Dwight Howard but without the pansy attitude.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Detroit is not trading Drummond and Knight for basically Rondo and garbage. Waaaayyyy overvaluing Rondo here.  The Pistons see Drummond as a future NBA MVP. He's got the talent to be as good or better than Dwight Howard but without the pansy attitude.

Yup, not to mention this trade doesn't really help the Celtics in the sense that they now become a team that's got really young players and really old players.

You'd have 19 year old Andre Drummond and 36 year old KG. Can we get a happy medium? (lol!)

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yup, not to mention this trade doesn't really help the Celtics in the sense that they now become a team that's got really young players and really old players.

You'd have 19 year old Andre Drummond and 36 year old KG. Can we get a happy medium? (lol!)

Yep, KG and Paul retire if this happens. Well, Paul is already looking like he retired lately.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Haha no. Brandon Knight is terrible.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I don't think the Pistons do it, but that's certainly a shake up trade for both teams.

I don't agree that Drummond and Monroe can't play together.  They are the core of their roster and it looks like Frank is doing a fine job developing Drummond.

Detroit certainly  have a lot of bigs.  Daye and Jerebko barely get off the bench.  Daye is actually shooting 48/55/80% and can't get minutes. Let's dump Green on the Pistons for Daye in a three wade trade with Dallas, who wants to dump Marion's money next years.  Marion and Daye to Boston, Green to Detroit with Willcox and Maggette to Dallas with Collins works moneywise.   

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I'm not even positive if I would do the trade and I came up with it. Funny thing is about this trade, it's the all too common celtics debate now. Just how valuable IS Rondo? As you can see some people think I'm overvaluing him while some think I'm undervaluing him. I guess it all depends on your opinion of Rondo and said prospects.
*CB Miami Heat*