Author Topic: Javale McGee could be available  (Read 7914 times)

Re: Javale McGee could be available
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'd be happy to take a chance on McGee.

I think having Garnett alongside him would help him tremendously. Unlike in Washington or Denver where his teams have lacked a communicator defensively to help show him the way.

I think McGee would be quite successful here in Boston (largely due to Garnett).

I don't buy it for a moment. 

But even if KG could work the miracle, do we really think it will happen in less then a single season?

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Though he is a bit of a knuckle head, I have always wanted the c's to get McGee. Right now, I would list him right after cousins as the best big man they could potentially get.

My list would be:
1. Cousins
2. McGee
3. Gortat
4. Milsap
5. Smith

I could go either way on Millsap and Smith

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think having Garnett alongside him would help him tremendously. Unlike in Washington or Denver where his teams have lacked a communicator defensively to help show him the way.

I think McGee would be quite successful here in Boston (largely due to Garnett).

But even if KG could work the miracle, do we really think it will happen in less then a single season?

There is no miracle. There is no need for one.

On this Boston team, McGee is not the defensive anchor. Kevin Garnett is. McGee is just the equivalent of Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger only he can make plays defensively from a physical standpoint that Bass and Sully can only dream of. McGee is just an upgraded version of what they supply. Someone who's added length can give Boston a second shot-blocker alongside KG.

And offensively, McGee is the 4th or 5th option on the floor. A player who will be asked to run the floor, attack offensive rebounds, play some pick and roll and cut to the rim off the ball. With a passer of Rondo's quality + a finisher and athlete of McGee's quality, McGee can be a productive player for Boston there too.

As a rebounder, McGee will give the Celtics a very strong rebounder. Right up there with Sullinger for the best rebounder on the team tag.

This is a useful basketball player. An incomplete one, yes, but not a waste of space. He has useful skill-set and on a team like Boston with a defensive anchor like Garnett and a playmaker like Rondo, JaVale McGee can be a very productive piece as the 4th or 5th option. 

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

There is no miracle. There is no need for one.

On this Boston team, McGee is not the defensive anchor. Kevin Garnett is. McGee is just the equivalent of Brandon Bass or Jared Sullinger only he can make plays defensively from a physical standpoint that Bass and Sully can only dream of. McGee is just an upgraded version of what they supply. Someone who's added length can give Boston a second shot-blocker alongside KG.

And offensively, McGee is the 4th or 5th option on the floor. A player who will be asked to run the floor, attack offensive rebounds, play some pick and roll and cut to the rim off the ball. With a passer of Rondo's quality + a finisher and athlete of McGee's quality, McGee can be a productive player for Boston there too.

As a rebounder, McGee will give the Celtics a very strong rebounder. Right up there with Sullinger for the best rebounder on the team tag.

This is a useful basketball player. An incomplete one, yes, but not a waste of space. He has useful skill-set and on a team like Boston with a defensive anchor like Garnett and a playmaker like Rondo, JaVale McGee can be a very productive piece as the 4th or 5th option.

I don't see the point.  His team is better offensively and defensively when he is off the floor. 

He doesn't show any understanding of the game.

At best, he is a project that hasn't progressed in a few seasons. 

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would have been a little more excited about McGee during the offseason.  He really hasn't progressed.  Plus he has an asthma issue that supposedly limits his minutes.  I'd much prefer the solid and consistent Gortat.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pass, dumb player with no basketball IQ.   He is a low post Gerald Green.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
this animated gif pretty much sums up my opinion of the guy

Greg

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Coach George Karl recently said he'd "like" to get JaVale McGee to be a 25-minute per-game player.
McGee's playing time has actually been decreasing lately, not increasing. Over his last seven games, he's getting just 17.1 minutes a night. "He's got to understand that lazy and crazy isn't going to make it work," Karl said. "We want solid and we want fundamental, and we want spectacular but only when it happens, not forcing the action where sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't." McGee still has a little fantasy value thanks to his 1.9 blocks per game, but owners expecting a sudden bump in playing time have another thing coming. He doesn't sound close to that 25-minute goal Karl has set -- especially with Kosta Koufos continuing to play well.

Source: Denver Post Jan 22 - 2:40 PM

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Faried/McGee are both pretty clueless on defense. Since one is on a rookie deal it makes sense they'd try and trade McGee.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I don't think they move him, at least for so little. I'm not a McGee guy by any means, but I'd rather roll the dice on his potential than take in complimentary pieces like Bass.

Besides that, I think Garnett would destroy McGee mentally. The kid seems to be pretty fragile, and while I think in most cases working with KG would be a plus, for McGee I think it would outright ruin him.

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Coach George Karl recently said he'd "like" to get JaVale McGee to be a 25-minute per-game player.
McGee's playing time has actually been decreasing lately, not increasing. Over his last seven games, he's getting just 17.1 minutes a night. "He's got to understand that lazy and crazy isn't going to make it work," Karl said. "We want solid and we want fundamental, and we want spectacular but only when it happens, not forcing the action where sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't." McGee still has a little fantasy value thanks to his 1.9 blocks per game, but owners expecting a sudden bump in playing time have another thing coming. He doesn't sound close to that 25-minute goal Karl has set -- especially with Kosta Koufos continuing to play well.

Source: Denver Post Jan 22 - 2:40 PM

Lazy and crazy is a fantastic description from a coach about his player. Very funny.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
not a guy I see doc even playing

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
McGee is a great project for the Nuggets and he is one of the best players they have, under limited minutes.

A very good and talented player that will likely be more than Nene one day. He's what we hope Melo can be, talent-wise.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
McGee is a great project for the Nuggets and he is one of the best players they have, under limited minutes.

A very good and talented player that will likely be more than Nene one day. He's what we hope Melo can be, talent-wise.

He is the same player he was a few seasons ago.

At some point, potential becomes waste for certain players. 

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

He is the same player he was a few seasons ago.

At some point, potential becomes waste for certain players.

What do you think about a guy like Tyson Chandler?

His potential didn't go to waste and its paid off