Author Topic: Celtics/Lakers are perfect trade partners  (Read 9766 times)

Celtics/Lakers are perfect trade partners
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Two teams, rich in history that are underachieving so badly it's not even funny.

I say make this trade tomorrow and see what happens

What's the worse that happens?

You can't tell me the Celtics are better off sticking with what they have. At least if you had Nash and Gasol with PP and KG, you go out in a blaze of glory.

I agree with some that Rondo is not the guy, and if we can get something for him now, do it! Not to mention, even at 39, Nash would fit better with KG/Pierce and I've ALWAYS felt that KG and Gasol together would be a nightmare for other teams. But, what do I know ???

It's either this, or deal KG/Paul and go with another "youth movement" with Rondo as your new captain.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bjlzz5n

Re: Celtics/Lakers are perfect trade partners
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Two teams, rich in history that are underachieving so badly it's not even funny.

I say make this trade tomorrow and see what happens

What's the worse that happens?

You can't tell me the Celtics are better off sticking with what they have. At least if you had Nash and Gasol with PP and KG, you go out in a blaze of glory.

I agree with some that Rondo is not the guy, and if we can get something for him now, do it! Not to mention, even at 39, Nash would fit better with KG/Pierce and I've ALWAYS felt that KG and Gasol together would be a nightmare for other teams. But, what do I know ???

It's either this, or deal KG/Paul and go with another "youth movement" with Rondo as your new captain.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bjlzz5n
No.  If we're going to trade, it should be o start over, not get older.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:55:36 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Fair enough. Then deal Pierce and KG to a competing team and get some decent young pieces back.

BUT (call me crazy) I think a starting five of Nash, Bradley, Pierce, KG and Gasol has got a chance!

Oh by the way, then I trade Terry and Lee. More on that, later.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Doesn't make sense for the Celtics.

I'm okay with it if you take Nash and Rondo out of the trade.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Well the logic is that I think Nash fits better with KG and Pierce than Rondo. No? I know it makes the Celtics even older, but whatever we have now is not working.

You could simply deal Green, Bass and filler for Gasol but I think an even deeper move needs to be made.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Well the logic is that I think Nash fits better with KG and Pierce than Rondo. No? I know it makes the Celtics even older, but whatever we have now is not working.

You could simply deal Green, Bass and filler for Gasol but I think an even deeper move needs to be made.

Well, I just don't think it's enough of a home run to be worth trading Rondo.  If you trade Rondo, either you're getting back the pieces to be a top contender right now, or you're getting some pieces you can use for the future.

A relatively small upgrade, or in this instance a CHANCE at a small upgrade, is not worth it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Well, I just don't think it's enough of a home run to be worth trading Rondo.  If you trade Rondo, either you're getting back the pieces to be a top contender right now, or you're getting some pieces you can use for the future.

A relatively small upgrade, or in this instance a CHANCE at a small upgrade, is not worth it.

Fair enough. As you can tell, this would clearly be a trade to try to help the Celtics for now

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
100% pass for me. Gasol and Nash haven't looked great this year, and I really don't want to ship out our best player, best trade asset for two past their peak guys who are underachieving.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:07:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
On second thought, I'll even take this one step further
and say goodbye to Terry while I am at it. Signing him was a HUGE mistake.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bes6mu4

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Fair enough. Then deal Pierce and KG to a competing team and get some decent young pieces back.

BUT (call me crazy) I think a starting five of Nash, Bradley, Pierce, KG and Gasol has got a chance!

Oh by the way, then I trade Terry and Lee. More on that, later.

kg has a no trade clause.

The Lakers are 17 - 23 because they are too old and have no depth. Gasol hasnt been playing well and Rondo is better than Nash.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:34 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Yuck don't want anything really from the lakers unless it Gasol on a favored deal for us. Don't wanna see Rondo Pierce anyone over there.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:20:12 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I want a trade, but this is a trade I would never make

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I like the premise of this trade. It's been on the forums a while now but I don't see why a rehash would hurt.

I personally think the only reason we should dump $30M into Gasol is to compete otherwise it's a colossal waste of money. To that point I don't think this team contends without Rondo. I'd make a trade where we swap Pierce for Gasol or I'd make a trade where we deal Green/Bass/Lee for Gasol/Clark/Ebanks. Those are the only trades with LAL I'm interested in right now.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 02:34:54 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I got a better idea  :

Green, Bass , Melo and a 1st rd pick for Dwight and Jamison?

The current lineups for both teams clearly don't mesh well .. Dwight will most probably not resign with the Lakers so might as well trade him.. Green would flourish in an uptempo team especially with Nash, while Melo has tons of potential that will only be wasted by Doc..

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 02:54:42 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Pierce and Bass for Gasol and Clark.  I wouldn't do it myself, but the trade works. BOS get height, LAL get a huge upgrade at the SF and a mid-range PF. Gasol doesn't fit there with DH.