Author Topic: Avery Bradley vs Courtney Lee  (Read 8417 times)

Avery Bradley vs Courtney Lee
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I know we're likely trying to package some of our assets to make an upgrade.  We have some redundant players.

Is the consensus here that Avery Bradley is better than Courtney Lee?  It's interesting, because if you weren't actually watching the games and just looking at stats, you'd probably assume Lee is superior.  Certainly Lee has a better track record.  4 years of quality college ball followed by  4 years of quality pro ball.  While Bradley has an overrated high school career, subpar freshman college season, a dreadful rookie NBA season and a phenomenal 15 game stretch in 2012 to make up his resume.

But even this month...

Lee - 7.6 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals, 52% shooting, 38% from three and 80% from the line  in only 17.7 minutes..

VS 

Bradley - 8.1 points, 1.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 41% shooting, 29% from three and 25% from the line in 23.5 minutes

I said before the season that Lee was our best all around shooting guard... Bradley arguably having a slight edge on him defensively and the redundant Terry/Barbosa having a slight edge offensively... but I also gave bonus points to Lee for being 3 inches and 20 pounds bigger than both Bradley and Terry.

Thoughts on this subject? 

Re: Avery Bradley vs Courtney Lee
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
I think we need to keep them both. If anything, Terry is the odd guard out in a trade.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:52:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I think we need to keep them both. If anything, Terry is the odd guard out in a trade.

If I were guessing in terms of trade value I'd probably say Lee would have the most value of any of our backup shooting guards (Lee, Terry, Bradley and Barbosa).  I'd guess that Bradley would have the 2nd most trade value based on the perception of him as a lockdown defensive role player with potential.

I don't know how much value a career backup like Jason Terry has... especially at the age of 35.  I assume that if we're looking to make an upgrade, we'll have to part with either Lee or Bradley amongst many other assets.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You simply can't judge Bradley by the stats.  Lee didn't start playing a lot better until Bradley came back, for one thing.

But I don't think it's a stretch to say that the stats don't do Bradley justice.  In terms of value, I don't think it's close at all between Bradley and Lee, not least of all because Bradley is on a cheaper contract, is only 22, and still has plenty of upside.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 03:20:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Is bradley better than Lee right now or do you just think he has more potential

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 04:06:49 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
If Lee was as good or better than Bradley, Doc would have been starting a HEALTHIER Lee all season... not only did he not start him, he put Terry as the starter while AB was out! To me there is no debate, when AB is healthy, he is the better player. Comparing the stats of a guy who has played in 8 games coming back from injuries/double surgery to a person who has played 30+ and is in top game shape is weird to me... with that said, AB is still matching him stat-wise...

Lee has been good the second half of these 30+ games and I like him but the only thing I see going for him over AB is his health... sadly, that may be all he needs.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 06:57:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Bradley is better right now, and he probably always will be.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:58:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I know we're likely trying to package some of our assets to make an upgrade.  We have some redundant players.

Is the consensus here that Avery Bradley is better than Courtney Lee?  It's interesting, because if you weren't actually watching the games and just looking at stats, you'd probably assume Lee is superior.  Certainly Lee has a better track record.  4 years of quality college ball followed by  4 years of quality pro ball.  While Bradley has an overrated high school career, subpar freshman college season, a dreadful rookie NBA season and a phenomenal 15 game stretch in 2012 to make up his resume.

But even this month...

Lee - 7.6 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.3 steals, 52% shooting, 38% from three and 80% from the line  in only 17.7 minutes..

VS 

Bradley - 8.1 points, 1.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 41% shooting, 29% from three and 25% from the line in 23.5 minutes

I said before the season that Lee was our best all around shooting guard... Bradley arguably having a slight edge on him defensively and the redundant Terry/Barbosa having a slight edge offensively... but I also gave bonus points to Lee for being 3 inches and 20 pounds bigger than both Bradley and Terry.

Thoughts on this subject?

Obviously you can't get a read on Bradley yet. His first few games back from a long term injury and his games with the rib injury make up over half his games played thus far.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:51:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
You simply can't judge Bradley by the stats.  Lee didn't start playing a lot better until Bradley came back, for one thing.

But I don't think it's a stretch to say that the stats don't do Bradley justice.  In terms of value, I don't think it's close at all between Bradley and Lee, not least of all because Bradley is on a cheaper contract, is only 22, and still has plenty of upside.

I agree

Bradley is scratching his potential, Lee is maxed out. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Bradley is way better...you were wrong and still are to think lee is our best shooting guard, the numbers mean nothing..Bradley makes the team considerably better, including lee, who has no more potential to reach on top of it

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Well put.  Bradley is a game and team changer, which is beyond what Lee offers.

I like Lee but his biggest advantage over Bradley is durability.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Yeah, Bradley is one of the more confusing players I've seen. Most of his stats suggest that he is average to below, yet he seems to make a huge difference in our veteran team.

I have to say his rib injury is worrying me. His level of play on defense just might not be suited for his body.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Agree with most Bradley is better and has more potential.  And he's the perfect guy to push Lee to greater heights.  Danny said Avery's effect on defense is "KG-like", and what he meant is Avery's knack for getting everyone into high gear on defense, including Lee. He simply has "it" factor on the defensive end, very rare. 

I love Lee backing up Avery.  He can really thrive there and make a major contribution, and will undoubtedly score more than Bradley on plenty of nights, at least until Bradley can stay healthy for a good long stretch and get comfy on offense.  I love this combo at SG.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think Bradley is better but by a very slight margin.  The stats do neither of them justice.  Bradley's half court pick up of his man really impresses people and for good reason.  Lee plays excellent defense as well though, but it just doesn't stand out to people as much.  I think Lee is consistently very underrated. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Lee is much more valuable than Bradley because of injury concerns. Bradley's style of play while exciting and effective is not how you play a 100 game NBA season. As we've already seen it leads to too many injuries and missed games. I'll take Lee every day and twice on Sunday..