Author Topic: Blow it up or reinforce?  (Read 9296 times)

Re: Blow it up or reinforce?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 11:04:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My logic is: you have an amazing player, you keep it. Try to build something around him. Give away the old and expendable.

Not that bass-ackwards, really

I think the question is: do we really have an amazing player?

Rondo is truly amazing at times.  He's come up big for this team when it matters.  But in terms of being the main man, carrying a team to 55+ wins, I'm not sure he's that guy. 

If you have a top scorer or two in place, it's hard to find a better #2 or #3 than Rondo.  But without one of those top guys, you might be disappointed more often than not depending on Rondo to shoulder the load.

I wouldn't trade Rondo lightly, but he's far from untouchable in my book.

Agreed, we need a prolific scorer next to him, 'cause that was never rondo's role. But still he can dominate games in many other ways. If you want to be a contender you need a #2 like RR on you team!

What is Pierce doing? Nothing, nada, zero. Costing us game after game, possession after possession. I'm sorry, but he's not a go-to guy anymore. Look, I love the captain, but I can't stand people calling out Rondo every time he makes a tiny mistake and yet they're unable to criticize PP who's been playing AWFUL 5 games in a row.

I guess the question is, are we likely to get a #1 to put next to Rondo anytime soon?  If trading Rondo puts us significantly closer to getting that next #1, I'm okay with it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 11:20:59 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I would be fine with either or. I would NOT be fine by standing pat at the trade deadline.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think ya just gotta blow it up. Would I love to see this core go far and win a another ring or at least get to the finals? Absolutely. But this is not a championship team. Just gotta move the pieces and see if we keep our current youth, as well as develop a new culture. I honestly would love if some way we could get MKG. Even in a crap environment, the guy goes all out.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 11:38:10 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
You watch closely for the next month and then you decide.

This team's audition is right now.  Everybody is healthy, save for various scrapes and bruises here and there.  This is when they should be learning their roles, learning their teammates and finally figuring out how to win as a team. 

They have a month left.  If they get it together, you reinforce.  If they don't, then you blow it up. 

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 11:41:40 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I'm sorry but we don't have a month.. This team was built to win this year and its not cutting it. We may lose out on a chance to trade these guys NEXT month. Than what we are stuck with a team that plays .500 ball? Idk tought spot to be in but somemthing needs to be done. If we can make a move soon we could contend this year. But we cant go into next month and stay around .500 and expect to just say ok here is our bad players give us something. Or here is a vet like Pierce who is on a fairly large contract and is 35 years old. IDK just tough spot. Please Danny pull something out of somewhere and make us better.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Trade from depth to improve our talent at the top.

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I say keep the team together.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 12:31:16 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I'm sorry but we don't have a month.. This team was built to win this year and its not cutting it. We may lose out on a chance to trade these guys NEXT month. Than what we are stuck with a team that plays .500 ball? Idk tought spot to be in but somemthing needs to be done. If we can make a move soon we could contend this year. But we cant go into next month and stay around .500 and expect to just say ok here is our bad players give us something. Or here is a vet like Pierce who is on a fairly large contract and is 35 years old. IDK just tough spot. Please Danny pull something out of somewhere and make us better.

We have exactly a month, actually.  That's the trading deadline.  If teams sense that we're punting this year, Danny's phone will be ringing off the hook.  You don't have to worry about players losing value. 

And frankly, I don't expect to make a major move at the deadline and all of a sudden become legitimate contenders this year.  Realistically, it takes too long to develop chemistry for that to work.  We either show that we have the ability to be a major threat or we don't.  If we do, we can make minor tweaks to improve our odds.  If we don't, we push the red button. 

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I laugh at this forum after a loss. seriously thought the trade rondo chants would have stopped by now

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The problems I have with blowing it up:

1) Who can we move?
-the usuals: Lee, Bass, Terry, Green, the end of bench guys
-the prospects: Sully, Bradley, Melo
-The Talent: Rondo, Pierce, KG

Of the usuals, Green is probably the toughest to move. Glaring disappointment in terms of monies committed. Bass is second, again for money. Lee, Terry, are a bit easier because their contracts are roughly commiserate with what they should be producing.

The prospects we should keep if we're 'blowing it up'.

The talent, KG is off the table. Pierce and Rondo are moveable, but for what? We trade Rondo for..prospects? Which guys are available that we'd want? Pierce? He's moveable, but unlikely.

The mostly likely blow it up move is with some combination of the usuals and the talent. I just don't see the combination that makes sense for anyone. Keeping Rondo makes the most sense.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 01:29:17 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Even during the win streak i felt like this team had to make a move. They just don't have the personnel to seriously compete for a title. I think Ainge either needs to make a move to get better right away, or he needs to start trading these guys and rebuilding.

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 01:34:22 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

1) Who can we move?

Of the usuals, Green is probably the toughest to move. Glaring disappointment in terms of monies committed. Bass is second, again for money. Lee, Terry, are a bit easier because their contracts are roughly commiserate with what they should be producing.

The talent, KG is off the table. Pierce and Rondo are moveable, but for what? We trade Rondo for..prospects? Which guys are available that we'd want? Pierce? He's moveable, but unlikely.

The mostly likely blow it up move is with some combination of the usuals and the talent. I just don't see the combination that makes sense for anyone. Keeping Rondo makes the most sense.
it'll probably be a couple of the usuals and a pick flipped for a big
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 01:44:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

1) Who can we move?

it'll probably be a couple of the usuals and a pick flipped for a big

Probably, if it happens. Especially with the weak draft next season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 03:36:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would add now might be a good time for a Bradley for JJ Reddick trade. A Lee/Reddick/Rondo is a very nice guard rotation..

That's a lateral move at best . . . .

I actually like that move. For all the praise that Bradley has gotten over the last 6 months (and rightfully so), he gets injured way too much.

And did you see him tonight? Why was he even in the game? Do I think Bradley is talented and a good defender? Yes. However, would I cut bait with him while his stock was high? Yes. Will I regret it? Maybe, but it's a chance I am willing to take.

Not to mention, for all of Bradley's praise on defense, he's inconsistent, offensively. I think JJ will give us a boost we need off the bench. You have to give to get

Singler was a tough matchup for Bradley. What is he 6-8, 6-9? A combo forward. Very intelligent and efficient offensively. Has a small role offensively so his attempts are few and far between (7 FGAs per game). 

Not a lot of opportunities for Bradley to get into a guy like that ... while there was a fair amount of chances for Singler to use his height advantage.

It's a tough situation. Asking a combo guard to defend a combo forward.

I think this is the type of situation where it'll be important for Bradley to develop his dribble drive game. To use his explosive speed and athleticism to punish taller slower defenders like Singler. To force the opponent to go smaller to matchup against him. To force the matchup.