Author Topic: Whats Memphis thinking??  (Read 6758 times)

Whats Memphis thinking??
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Just wondering what the Grizzlies are doing? They talk about trading Rudy Gay and now theres a rumor that Zach Randolph may be going to Houston. Are they in money trouble?? They should keep this team together until offseason b/c this team can go deep in playoffs. Plus the players wants to keep it together and u know its on the players minds
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Whats Memphis thinking??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think they are thinking anything specific at the moment.

I believe Memphis are just evaluating their options. Trying to see what options are available to them and will later decide a course of action. Probably partly due to their recent front office changes. But for now, they haven't decided anything.

Whether to trade Gay. Whether to trade Z-Bo due to his age and build around a younger group. Whether to pay the luxury tax or not. Whether to dump Speights to get below the tax. Whether to try and trade role players / picks to upgrade supporting cast to give them a better title shot. I think all of those options are on the table right now. Or whether just to hold firm and stay the course.

Just probing and evaluating options. Gathering the information necessary before making a decision about what to do next.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Just wondering what the Grizzlies are doing? They talk about trading Rudy Gay and now theres a rumor that Zach Randolph may be going to Houston. Are they in money trouble?? They should keep this team together until offseason b/c this team can go deep in playoffs. Plus the players wants to keep it together and u know its on the players minds
They hired Hollinger, that's what they're doing... :P
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I would like to see what they could do in the playoffs with this team..but if they can better theirselves, then all power to them
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
They hired Hollinger, that's what they're doing... :P

No one has a per over 20 on Memphis, Hollinger is p---ed

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I don't think moving Randolph would be a bad thing, but they would have to take at least 5 players from Houston if they aren't moving Asik, Lin, or Harden.  That is a lot of guys that they would have to find homes for, and most of Houston's players are not expiring so they couldn't cut them easily.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think moving Randolph would be a bad thing, but they would have to take at least 5 players from Houston if they aren't moving Asik, Lin, or Harden.  That is a lot of guys that they would have to find homes for, and most of Houston's players are not expiring so they couldn't cut them easily.

Yeah, a deal with Houston just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Sounds like the owners feel they don't make enough revenue to justify the luxury tax penalties coming their way.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is Memphis hindered by their market? If so would they be better off somewhere else?

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, a deal with Houston just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Yeah the only way it makes sense is if they can find a third team to move some of the pieces.  I do think Houston has some nice young players that would work well in Memphis, like Patterson, Jones, and Parsons.  Heck they might even be able to get a Gay replacement and move him this summer for some more young pieces.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Is Memphis hindered by their market? If so would they be better off somewhere else?
I believe Memphis and New Orleans are the two smallest markets in the league.

Memphis was always thought to be too small a market to be a sustainable home to an NBA team. They've long been expected to move on from there at some point. Probably another 5-10 years away from that though. It isn't that long since they moved from Vancouver.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Memphis is thinking they are on the verge of paying a ton of money in luxury tax for a team that, at best, has a very small chance of winning championship this season or in the future.  On top of that, their window for competing isn't that large, when you consider the age of their key offensive player, Zach Randolph.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Money always wins.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:28:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Memphis was always thought to be too small a market to be a sustainable home to an NBA team. They've long been expected to move on from there at some point. Probably another 5-10 years away from that though. It isn't that long since they moved from Vancouver.
Salt Lake is the smallest metropolitan area with a team. New Orleans is next.  Oklahoma City is actually between Memphis and New Orleans as well. 

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33

I was in Memphis with my wife about two years ago. On our way through I talked her into watching a mid week game vs Golden State. Our tickets were $5 each and the crowd was half emply, even though they had an upset win over San Antonio at home the night before. The game itself was great, Tony Allen played really well that night plus seeing Gasol and Z-Bo play together live was worth the price of admission alone ... $10!

It's a shame they don't have better home support because Fed-Ex Stadium and the locals are great, but the impression we got is that no one in town has any money. My lasting impression of the city is that outside of Beale Street most of the inner city areas resemble Hamsterdam from the Wire.