Author Topic: Boston Atlanta Memphis blockbuster idea  (Read 5695 times)

Boston Atlanta Memphis blockbuster idea
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aob9tvy

Memphis gets Jason terry and Jeff teague

Atlanta gets rajon rondo, marrese speights, fab melo,and Jason Collins(who is waived)

Boston gets al horford and Mike Conley.

Memphis gets under the tax. They get a shooter in terry and a quality sixth man who isn't afraid to take the big shot. They also get a young pg prospect on a rookie deal.

Atlanta gets an All Star pg. They get smiths best friend and it should only bake their roster more attractive to Dwight.

Boston gets an All Star big man and a very underrated pg. Both are young enough to help us win now and in the future.

Thoughts?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Boston Atlanta Memphis blockbuster idea
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's a tough one. I see how it 'fits', but at the same time, you're trading a budding superstar for two really good players.

I don't know, I could see this from both sides.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This trade makes the Celtics worse, are you an ATL fan?

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
That's a tough one. I see how it 'fits', but at the same time, you're trading a budding superstar for two really good players.

I'm not sure rondo's ceiling is that much higher then horfords. Conley is a heck of a player too.

I do think every team would be fine with what's incoming for with what's outgoing.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
This trade makes the Celtics worse, are you an ATL fan?

How?

You think the drop off from rondo to Conley is that large? Collins barely plays. Melo doesn't. And terry is replaced by more minutes for barbosa, lee, and Avery.

Oh yeah and you pair horford with kg! Which arguably becomes the best front court duo in the NBA.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really don't see Memphis wanting to get rid of Conley. He is a great fit, on a very team friendly contract, and starting to come into his own as a real force at PG on the defensive side. I really think if Memphis is moving anyone its Rudy Gay as they have seen they can be successful without him.

So while I follow the trade, I think the C's get worse because of it and I doubt Memphis would do it unless they are the one's getting Rondo.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I'm not sure rondo's ceiling is that much higher then horfords. Conley is a heck of a player too.

I do think every team would be fine with what's incoming for with what's outgoing.

Well its kind of endemic of what the NBA is. Is Kyrie Irving's ceiling 'that much' higher than Jrue Holiday's? Is LeBron James's ceiling 'that much' higher than Carmelo Anthony's?

Is those top tier guys you need, and trading a top tier positional player for a 2nd and 3rd tier player is usually a poor proposition, unless you were going to lose the top tier guy anyways.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Well its kind of endemic of what the NBA is. Is Kyrie Irving's ceiling 'that much' higher than Jrue Holiday's? Is LeBron James's ceiling 'that much' higher than Carmelo Anthony's?

Is those top tier guys you need, and trading a top tier positional player for a 2nd and 3rd tier player is usually a poor proposition, unless you were going to lose the top tier guy anyways.
Horford and Conley significantly upgrade the Celtics.  I don't think it is close and would do that trade in a heartbeat.  Memphis would not and I really don't think Atlanta does either. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Nice creativity here. I think Atlanta is the least likely to say 'yes'. They really like Teague (for good reason). they'd have to be very strongly committed to keeping Smith.

From the Cs perspective, I'd do this deal everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, but why not just do the deal directly with ATL? If you could get Horford and Teague for Rondo, Melo and picks you'd do it in a heartbeat.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Horford and Conley significantly upgrade the Celtics.  I don't think it is close and would do that trade in a heartbeat.  Memphis would not and I really don't think Atlanta does either.

Maybe. I think it could work out for us. I also think it could screw up our chemistry irreparably. Not that Conley Jr or Horford are locker room negatives, the farthest thing from it, from what I've read. It is maybe one of best 'sensible' trades coming back I've seen. Just moving Rondo for anything but a superstar or very high ceiling prospect seems iffy at best for me.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Nice creativity here. I think Atlanta is the least likely to say 'yes'. They really like Teague (for good reason). they'd have to be very strongly committed to keeping Smith.

From the Cs perspective, I'd do this deal everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, but why not just do the deal directly with ATL? If you could get Horford and Teague for Rondo, Melo and picks you'd do it in a heartbeat.

I guess it depends on your view of rondo. It's all perspective. If your goal is Dwight and la can't do sign and trades it means he has to leave via ufa. Smith unquestionably makes Atlanta more attractive bc he's a great talent and buddy.

Now does rondo make Atlanta more attractive as well then say an inconsistent young player and a guy who plays your position. I say it's a no brainer for Atlanta if your goal is to sell Dwight on Atlanta. Rondo is a pass first guy who doesn't really want to score. He would make life much easier for Howard and you don't have to wait on him to realize his talent like Teague. He's a win now player as far as development.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

I addressed Atlanta above. As for Memphis I have read that getting under the tax is a primary priority. They also covet shooting and bench scoring.

I also read Conley hasn't been significantly discussed bc no team is willing to provide them the return that gay or zbo would. A prospect and capable replacement.  It's understandable bc that's a lot to ask for for a guy who isn't even a fringe all star. Especially at a position that's incredibly deep league wise.

Speights really isn't in the rotation and a five man unit of Teague/terry, terry/Allen, gay zbo and gasol is a strong unit to close a game with. Again it provides the cap relief, shooting, and doesn't really weaken the team that I think Memphis would be game.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I guess it depends on your view of rondo. It's all perspective. If your goal is Dwight and la can't do sign and trades it means he has to leave via ufa. Smith unquestionably makes Atlanta more attractive bc he's a great talent and buddy.

Now does rondo make Atlanta more attractive as well then say an inconsistent young player and a guy who plays your position. I say it's a no brainer for Atlanta if your goal is to sell Dwight on Atlanta. Rondo is a pass first guy who doesn't really want to score. He would make life much easier for Howard and you don't have to wait on him to realize his talent like Teague. He's a win now player as far as development.

I hear you. One comment though: Teague is really good right now. Atlanta is giving up a great deal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Maybe. I think it could work out for us. I also think it could screw up our chemistry irreparably. Not that Conley Jr or Horford are locker room negatives, the farthest thing from it, from what I've read. It is maybe one of best 'sensible' trades coming back I've seen. Just moving Rondo for anything but a superstar or very high ceiling prospect seems iffy at best for me.

I agree that it could hurt our chemistry but like you also said it could really improve us. Conley is not the playmaker rondo is but he can space the floor and while he's no all star he's no scrub.

The duo of horford and kg would really be unmatched in the east. Both can do it all and horfords ability to bang would make life incredibly hard on Miami. Conley still provides an upgrade over chalmers and he's played well in the playoffs too.

A future five of Conley, Bradley, green, sully, and horford is a move away from being legit. Or maybe just the development of sully and Bradley away from being legit. Still this year and maybe the next two after with kg and pierce it should be a team very capable of going all the way.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

I hear you. One comment though: Teague is really good right now. Atlanta is giving up a great deal.

We differ on Teague. I don't see him as a viable difference maker in a playoff series at the moment. But that's me. I don't see Teague as the reason you win a seven game series and I do rondo. If I'm Dwight that matters to me.

Also Eric bledsoe's availability only helps to lessen teagues value which can't hurt.