Author Topic: What About Kirilenko?  (Read 2022 times)

What About Kirilenko?
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Have loved this guy's game for a long time, though I get to see him rarely.  Maybe there is something I don't know about him, but he seems like an ideal target to me and I'd prefer him to Josh Smith.  Isn't AK more or less Josh Smith with a much better basketball brain?  And with Minn basically done this year without Love, wouldn't he be available? 

AK plays smart and within himself on the offensive side, and can be a difference-maker defensively.  Can play 3 or 4, is not quite 32 and has been playing 35MPG this year -- I think his health is good right now.  His salary is 9.7M with a 10M player option next year. Works well for our future cap considerations and we may be able to get him without giving up either Sully or Bradley.

We could return a younger forward in Bass or Green along with Lee/Terry (Minn could use a solid 2) and/or a future consideration in a 1st or Melo.  Depending upon the package Minn has 2 back-up PGs who might work well in Boston (Ridnour or Barea).

What am I missing about AK or the situation in Minnesota?

Re: What About Kirilenko?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Arguably been the T'Wolves best player this season. Playing great basketball.

It'll be hard to pry him away from there, but yeah, I am a huge fan too and would love to see Kirilenko land here. I think he is an ideal choice to start and play the power forward position alongside Garnett on this Celtics team.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kirilenko is very similar to Smith but is a team player and has a better shot selection.  Good thought.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not a huge Kirileno fan.  Historically, he has shrunk under pressure, burst into tears when his playing time was cut, clashed with coaches and teammates, and developed a reputation for being the first guy out of the gym while simultaneously whining about not getting enough shots.

I guess I'd still prefer him to Jeff Green, but he's not a guy I like a whole lot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm not a huge Kirileno fan.  Historically, he has shrunk under pressure, burst into tears when his playing time was cut, clashed with coaches and teammates, and developed a reputation for being the first guy out of the gym while simultaneously whining about not getting enough shots.

I guess I'd still prefer him to Jeff Green, but he's not a guy I like a whole lot.

You could have fun with this.

"Adam Morrison? I'm not a huge fan. He hasn't been in the league for three years, is a "shooter" with career percentages of 37% overall and 33% from 3, averages roughly 3.5 rebounds per 36 minutes, and averaged an absolutely pathetic 0.30 steals per 48 minutes in his last year with the Lakers. In addition, he might have the worst facial hair in NBA history."

"I guess I'd still prefer him to Jeff Green, though."

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

"Adam Morrison? I'm not a huge fan. He hasn't been in the league for three years, is a "shooter" with career percentages of 37% overall and 33% from 3, averages roughly 3.5 rebounds per 36 minutes, and averaged an absolutely pathetic 0.30 steals per 48 minutes in his last year with the Lakers. In addition, he might have the worst facial hair in NBA history."

Haha.  TP.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Kirilenko at PF, but not so much at SF.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Oh, what do you mean by "might" :)

On topic, Kirilenko possesses great versatility for his position and is a very rare talent. He has had a fair share of injuries and an unfocused period of basketball, but if he gives his all on court, he's a demon, especially on the defensive end. Would be nice to land him, although it's difficult.