Author Topic: Lou Williams out for the year, increase chance of trade with ATL for Smith?  (Read 11830 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I dont think Hawks would trade Smith to us. They dont like us!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing (lol.)

I think Danny Ferry holds a grudge vs Boston, because after we dismantled the Cavs in that final year Lebron was there, Ferry lost his job.
Plus he told on Rondo!!!

I know. I swear the whole league hates the Celtics for whatever reason (Carmelo, Noah, Ferry, the officials, you name it, lol.)

It's why this year I want us to win a title SO BAD it's not even funny so we can shove it in the whole league's face

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
People keep saying Josh Smith hurt Atlanta in the Playoffs, but is absolutely untrue.   Josh Smith was the only reason Atlanta even pushed us to 6 games in the playoffs, without him we probably would have swept them or beat them in 5 games.

He was an absolute beast against us and was killing as constantly on both ends of the floor.  The fact that he took one or two bad shots at times is irrelevant because he (by far) did more good for Atlanta against us then he did bad. He was averaging something like 17 points and 13 rebounds, he hurt us with his scoring, and he did a good job against us on defense.  He almost single handedly won them a number of those games.

Also people complained about him taking too many jumpers, but he hit a lot of midrange jump shots against us in the playofs and that hurt us because it helped to stretch our defense so that guys like Williams, Turner and Holiday could penetrate.  Sure he may not be a KG calibre jump-shooter, but he is a decent midrange shooter.

I don't understand how people criticise his shot selection so much, because Rondo takes at least as many bad shots (bail-out three's early in the shot clock, contested jumpers when other guys are open, etc) as Smith does, and most of us are happy to have him here! 

The important thing is that Smith is an incredibly talented and versatile big man who has the ability to play and defend three positions (SF to C).  He can impact games in a number of ways and this is clear by looking at this stats:

Last season: 18.8 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 3.9 APG, 1.4 SPG, 1.7 BPG
This season: 16.4 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 3.7 APG, 1.3 SPG, 2.3 BPG

Smith is an above average rebounder, an above average scorer, and elite passer and an elite defender at his position.  He has the potential for a triple double any night, and he could be our defensive anchor once KG retires if we could (unlikely) manage to get him here.

In fact Smith is probably the only free agent I can think of right now that I'd consider trading Sully for.   

Imagine a defensive frontline of Smith and KG now?  Imagine the defense of Smith + Bradley in the future? I'd love to get this guy!

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a65ohd8

This might actually work. Sully is looking like a nice prospect and so is fab. I still move sully for smith. I'm a sully fan but there is always a chance he peaks like Dejuan Blaire.

We would have to sign a sf. Even tho smith can play that some. We could sign Kenyon Martin also.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b766a38

Or this above.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Smith is a big and a nice one and good Celtics fit , but NOT a center. I'm all for getting him just NOT at the COST of our 7 ft project Fab Melo.  Even average 7 cneters are huge money today.  I think in the end Melo will be a steal.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I bet Danny [Ferry] now completely shifts to a win later plan and not the win now plan.

I think that's probably right. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
A shame to see Williams go down...he was playing well, and I personally like watching him play.

Even if it increases the likelihood of Smith getting traded, I still think the odds are low that we get him - I just don't see us as having the most attractive deal for him.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Ferry's plan doesn't change one whit: preserve as much cap space as possible going into the offseason, and decide then whether to resign Josh Smith, or trade him.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Thanks Roy!!

I hope this helps us get Josh:-)))

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ferry's plan doesn't change one whit: preserve as much cap space as possible going into the offseason, and decide then whether to resign Josh Smith, or trade him.

The only thing Id add is that Williams injury makes trading Smith for expirings and prospects/picks more likely.

But we only got one of those.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

The only thing Id add is that Williams injury makes trading Smith for expirings and prospects/picks more likely.

I honestly don't think Ferry moves Josh Smith until he knows for sure what's going to happen with Dwight Howard this offseason.

I believe the Hawks have enough cap room to offer max contracts to both Josh Smith and his "good, good friend."

Potential projected lineup:

PG: Teague
SG: Stevenson
SF: Smith
PF: Horford
C:  Howard
6th: Lou Williams
Bench: John Jenkins, Ivan Johnson, 2013 1st rounder, free agents at vet min
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
We would probably need to get a third team involved. I know the hawks don't wanna add more contracts.. but i desperately want Smith on this team.. Defense would be insane

Rondo
Bradley
Pierce
Smith
KG

Wow

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I honestly don't think Ferry moves Josh Smith until he knows for sure what's going to happen with Dwight Howard this offseason.

I believe the Hawks have enough cap room to offer max contracts to both Josh Smith and his "good, good friend."

Potential projected lineup:

PG: Teague
SG: Stevenson
SF: Smith
PF: Horford
C:  Howard
6th: Lou Williams
Bench: John Jenkins, Ivan Johnson, 2013 1st rounder, free agents at vet min

The thing about that lineup is that it REEKS of second round exit. Smith is the primary shot creator, Teague is up and down. Defensively it's a winner but it's pretty flawed as a real unit.

This is just me back-seat GMing, but they need a legitimate 2 or 3 who can create his own shot.

Honestly Paul Pierce makes the most sense, but that's a pretty iffy proposition for Atlanta.

Dunno who they'd get though. Monta Ellis? (Gross)

Ironically, Joe Johnson? Hilarious.

Kyle Lowry? That'd be something.

Nope, I got it. Danillo Gallinari. ESPN trade machine fantasy, GO! Form of, boredom!

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Ill just drop this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9uQ9l0ow0

Chreest Almeety!

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Atlanta Trades: Smith
Denver Trades: Gallo

Denver fields a lineup of

Lawson/Miller
Iggy/Chandler
Chandler/Smith
Smith/Faried
KouVale McKoufos

Atlanta saves $4 per season off of Smith's last contract, still preserves cap space.