Author Topic: Why can't we get JGreen more shots?  (Read 3633 times)

Why can't we get JGreen more shots?
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I just can't understand why wouldn't you want to give an incredibly athletic wing who is typically a matchup nightmare - who is an incredibly efficient offensive player - more shots. 

He took 4 shots last night and one of the shots really doesn't count since it was a forced shot with the shot clock running down.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:52:42 PM by coco »

Re: Why can't we get JGreen more shots?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Under what standard are you considering Jeff Green "incredibly efficient"?

His FG% is 246th in the NBA.

His eFG% is 279th in the NBA.

His TS% is 247th in the NBA.

Her PER is 266th in the NBA.

All of that points to a player who is below-average in terms of efficiency, and certainly not "incredible".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:36:16 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Play Jeff at the three with pierce at the two.  Now there is a matchup nightmare for opposing teams. Plus give more minutes to green, and he will take more shots. 

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Agreed.

I don't care if Jeff Green is shooting or not. I do care about seeing ball movement in our units. Whether it leads to a Jeff Green shot or not, is insignificant to me.

But we can't have games where KG and Pierce are having awful nights, and yet we still try to play through them, and for some reason on those nights Pierce and KG feel the need to shoot even more than usual, usually ill advised well contested shots. That's inexcusable to me, particularly on a night that Rondo was pushing the ball quite well, and got us for the most part some early offense passing... just to be wasted by these two.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Because he doesn't TAKE shots?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff

All of that points to a player who is below-average in terms of efficiency, and certainly not "incredible".

I won't argue the numbers.  Having said that,  stats don't necessarily tell the whole story.

I can guarantee you that the game we recently played against the Knicks where Carmelo got PP in foul trouble would have been a loss without JG.

But talking about shots;  heck, didn't Barbosa take as many in 1/4 the time JG played?

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I just can't understand why wouldn't you want to give an incredibly athletic wing who is typically a matchup nightmare - who is an incredibly efficient offensive player - more shots. 

He took 4 shots last night and one of the shots really doesn't count since it was a forced shot with the shot clock running down.

Here is where Green currently ranks on the Celtics in usage:

Pierce     25.9
Rondo    21.8
Garnett   21.6
Barbosa  20.5
Green     18.9
Terry      15.7
Lee         13.8
Bass       13.8
Sullinger 13.2

On that entire list, the two LEAST efficient players by TS% are Green and Bass.

You probably could make a better case that he is (a) shooting too much, and (b) inefficient.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I won't argue the numbers.  Having said that,  stats don't necessarily tell the whole story.

Don't stats tell the whole story as far as efficiency is concerned?  I mean, that's a stats-based metric.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff

Don't stats tell the whole story as far as efficiency is concerned?  I mean, that's a stats-based metric.

Yes and No.  I mean, when you have RR,JG,BB,JT,JS on the floor, I don't the see the 246th FG in the leasgue on the floor.  What I see is the Cs best option to get us a basket....

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yes and No.  I mean, when you have RR,JG,BB,JT,JS on the floor, I don't the see the 246th FG in the leasgue on the floor.  What I see is the Cs best option to get us a basket....

I guess that's where we disagree.  If I needed one shot to win me a game, I'd take all four of Rondo, Bass, Terry, and Sully over Green, assuming those guys aren't forcing a shot.  Green just hasn't proven anything here in Boston yet.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff

I guess that's where we disagree.  If I needed one shot to win me a game, I'd take all four of Rondo, Bass, Terry, and Sully over Green, assuming those guys aren't forcing a shot.  Green just hasn't proven anything here in Boston yet.

Yes, that's where we disagree.  With that group on the floor - I think JG is our first option....which he is not, and why I started this Topic.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 03:24:15 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
more shots?!?!?  no thanks, he sucks.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
if we were in blowup mode, I'd be all about getting him 20 points a game to build his trade value.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
more shots?!?!?  no thanks, he sucks.

I don't think he sucks. He's frustrating this year for sure. All things considered its not too surprising to see the inconsistency. I think expectations were likely a little too high from the fans for Jeff this season. Still overall it is disappointing for sure.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 04:41:12 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Green has trouble finding more shots when he is p---ing down his leg. It's tricky