Author Topic: Tommy is right, why isn't doc running plays for Green and Sully?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
During last nights game he mentioned how Green and Sully should be given a chance to make plays for the second unit , and I couldn't agree more. Sully has already shown the ability to find the open man when the double team comes, and has all sorts of moves in the post going one on one .

With Green , if Doc isn't giving him some touches to get him going as soon as he enters the game , then Green seems to just stand in the corner waiting to take a 3 . It's obviously partly Green's fault , but you would think Doc would know this by now and try to get Green some touches in the post and with the pick and roll .

Instead when Rondo is out of the game Terry and Lee dribble at the top of the key until there is about 10 seconds left on the shot clock.

This is so frustrating  >:(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:54:10 AM by rondohondo »

Re: Tommy is right, why isn't doc running plays for Green and Sully?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 05:54:23 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Ya gotta remember Doc doesn't care what happens on the offensive end :-\
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 05:55:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like to see Sully get some more. Not so much Jeff Green.

I am not as high on Jeff Green's shot-creation abilities @ SF as others are.

I would like to see Sully get more opportunities to develop his low post arsenal. I think there will be times where it could be a good weapon for Boston in the postseason ... when opposing teams stick their best big man defender on Garnett and leave their lesser option on Sully. Not all teams have two strong post defenders capable of defending a big physical four like Sully.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 06:34:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doc doesn't care about the low post either and look at the bigs he played with too.  Dan Roundfield and Tree Rollins were hardly offensive jugernauts.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Look - last night was tough game because the rotations that Doc had settled on were a little screwed up by Bradley being injured.  That said, it is two games in a row that Green has basically not shot the ball.  He has to get more touches and looks or be more assertive.  He is arguably our best player off the bench, maybe after Sully.

Sully will get his looks off boards and I am fine with that.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:17:15 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Because Doc Rivers is an inept coach who gets exposed with good teams and bailed out by the good good players he has.  Look no further than last year...Bradley rides the pine till Ray gets hurt.  Brbosa rides the pine untill something is mentioned about it.  KG is stuck in the PF position until it's an absolute must to move him.  Last night the announcers said about why the Celtics don't rebound...becasue of Doc's staunch philosophy.  I mean come on, a coach needs to be on point and sensitive to change immediately, not after the fact.  I'm so sick of hearing how "this loss is on me"  Well do your darn job then!  Sorry but between Docs coaching, Jeff Green's inconsistency, and the failure of Celtics management to light some fires around this ball club..ie..push doc to do more, Call up some D league talent, etc, I'm just infuriated!  It's pretty darn annoying when half the people on this blog can point out the issues with this team, come up with reasonable solutions, and the coach and organization sits on its thumbs and plays the waiting game.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:18:16 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Its a great question.  Green is average just under 10 pts a game, while not playing big minutes and not taking a lot of shots.  I don't believe there are any actual plays called for the guy.  Put a 6'9" leaper on the low box and create space for him, kg high post, bradley corner three etc.  He can hit the open man if double comes or just post up whatever sf is on him.  Besides lebron and gerald wallace I don't see many sf with size to handle him on low post (carmelo doesn't play defense so you can say him)

Sully is a viable low post option with vet like moves handle on the low post.  He almost appears as if you could run an offense through him (duncan like).  He isn't going to be able to post up bigger guys on a consistant bases but does know how to use his body to seal man off and get shots up when he shouldn't be able to.

I'm all for it.  How good did this team look with shaq on low post.  If everyone is standing around shooting jump shots its pretty easy to defend

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
If Green could get a non-iso play ran for him when someone actually sets a proper pick that would be just dandy. Haven't seen one yet.

Sullinger is making Bass look like an amateur out there. If he didnt get in such easy foul trouble I reckon he would be starting. Feed this monster in the block and he will deliver.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
DOc needs to be using Green and Sully alot more in the offense for sure.  Jet should never play big minutes .

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Because of they ran plays for them then they are more productive and then teams would be sniffing around at trade times.

I have a feeling DA wants to keep hold of these guys. Move Bass and maybe Lee which was a third place prize in getting what SG he wanted to start the season. Don't get me wrong. Lee is a nice player, but he went from the trade for Mayo, then the resign of Allen(spits on the floor for saying his name)to trading for Lee. So I wouldn't be surprised thats he's in the mix.

Of course I wouldn't be surprised that Bradley is in the mix either know DA.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Doc, Rondo, KG, Pierce... all should do their part to move the ball better, regardless of who it involves. Rondo had a good game though. Good pace, and assertive.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm tired of hearing the "but they don't run plays for him" excuse regarding Jeff.  He has to go get it.  I have an inkling the team doesthat by design - they want him to be more assertive. There are going to be times when Paul and KG struggle and we'll need Jeff to sstep up. Last night was a great example.

Look at Jared Sullinger, a rookie. He's figured out how to impact a game even though there's no plays called for him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's on Jeff Green to do something with the ball when he has it.  I don't think I've ever seen a more passive player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'd love to see them get the ball to Sully in the post.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
It's on Jeff Green to do something with the ball when he has it.  I don't think I've ever seen a more passive player.

This. In most games, the guy has less impact than any player I have ever seen. Looks like he is just happy to be on a team and on the court.