Author Topic: Why they lost: Not because of the refs  (Read 5562 times)

Re: Why they lost: Not because of the refs
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
+/- stat about as useless in my opinion as the three refs last night ...and I agree that the refs were terrible and we got some very bad calls but as rockinrollyoursoul said...we lost primarily because of Doc, PP and JET in my opinion....

But opinions are about as worth as much as the =/- stat category ...

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I thought they lost because Pierce played a particularly horrible game, highlighted by him getting trapped and giving up a jump ball with 9 secs left, when we had 1 timeout left.

While this isn't the only reason the Celts lost, not calling a timeout to save a possession late in the game seems to be something I notice on a regular basis. Some player will get into a bad situation, I'll know a turnover is coming and the timeout that I hope for rarely comes. Pierce trapped on the baseline by 2 good defenders when he's picked up his dribble is highly unlikely to go well for the Celts.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There were lots of reasons we lost.  Terrible offense for much of the game (especially from Pierce, KG, and Green), missed free throws, and that atrocious jump ball call were some of the biggest.

Don't see the need to single out Green, particularly when KG, Pierce, and Rondo shooting as much as they did. Might as well mention Barbosa and Sully who also had poor shooting nights.

Jeff Green absolutely sucked last night.  No offense (1-for-4), no movement, no energy, zero rebounds, zero assists, zero steals, zero blocks.  Offensively, he hurt, and defensively he was a non-factor.

Jeff Green just can not take only 4 shots.

Last night we saw the timid Green.  I hate timid Green.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
KG and Paul are old....Old dudes take jumpshots....jumpshots sometimes don't go in....especially when you're old and don't have the same lift in your legs you once did.

Stupid Doc...played KG 20 straight minutes to end that game.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
There were lots of reasons we lost.  Terrible offense for much of the game (especially from Pierce, KG, and Green), missed free throws, and that atrocious jump ball call were some of the biggest.

Don't see the need to single out Green, particularly when KG, Pierce, and Rondo shooting as much as they did. Might as well mention Barbosa and Sully who also had poor shooting nights.

Jeff Green absolutely sucked last night.  No offense (1-for-4), no movement, no energy, zero rebounds, zero assists, zero steals, zero blocks.  Offensively, he hurt, and defensively he was a non-factor.

I just think that's false. I saw Green calling for the ball in the post multiple times, and not once do I recall the pass being made to him.

Jeff Green is simply a role player on this team, and just like Lee and Terry some nights they'll get a lot of touches and opportunities to shoot the ball, other nights they'll barely touch it despite how they make themselves available. The way Doc's system works it'll always be like this.

Yesterday I felt it was more of an offense that didn't care to feed Jeff Green than Jeff Green being passive and uninvolved. The evidence is on how KG and Pierce played, no need to go further than that. One particular play I recall is Jeff Green on a fast-break, an opportunity for Rondo to give him the ball, instead what Green did was that he sealed off his man that allowed Rondo to get to the rim despite there being like 4 Bulls jersey's around, but that doesn't show up stat wise.

Jeff Green was ineffective with the small amount of touches he got though, but not worth pointing out I feel as being THE problem last night... in the scheme of things, insignificant.

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
KG and Paul are old....Old dudes take jumpshots....jumpshots sometimes don't go in....especially when you're old and don't have the same lift in your legs you once did.

And, he played a total of 39 minutes.  That's awesome.  I doubt Doc will get in the habit of it, but it's nice to see that he's starting to feel more comfortable giving KG bigger minutes. 

Based on the fact that KG was playing like a bona fide superstar throughout last year's playoffs, I'm not going to question Doc's handling of his regular season minutes.  How he's handled KG's minutes is definitely one of Rivers' strengths. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

And, he played a total of 39 minutes.  That's awesome.  I doubt Doc will get in the habit of it, but it's nice to see that he's starting to feel more comfortable giving KG bigger minutes. 

Based on the fact that KG was playing like a bona fide superstar throughout last year's playoffs, I'm not going to question Doc's handling of his regular season minutes.  How he's handled KG's minutes is definitely one of Rivers' strengths.
when KG plays a ton of minutes he is less effective though, you saw it with tons of shots he was front rimming.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I just think that's false. I saw Green calling for the ball in the post multiple times, and not once do I recall the pass being made to him.

Jeff Green is simply a role player on this team, and just like Lee and Terry some nights they'll get a lot of touches and opportunities to shoot the ball, other nights they'll barely touch it despite how they make themselves available. The way Doc's system works it'll always be like this.

Yesterday I felt it was more of an offense that didn't care to feed Jeff Green than Jeff Green being passive and uninvolved. The evidence is on how KG and Pierce played, no need to go further than that. One particular play I recall is Jeff Green on a fast-break, an opportunity for Rondo to give him the ball, instead what Green did was that he sealed off his man that allowed Rondo to get to the rim despite there being like 4 Bulls jersey's around, but that doesn't show up stat wise.

Jeff Green was ineffective with the small amount of touches he got though, but not worth pointing out I feel as being THE problem last night... in the scheme of things, insignificant.
I'm a big Jeff supporter when a lot of people call him out but agree with Roy here Jeff was awful, everytime he touched the ball all he did was swing it. He didn't want any part of anything he just stood out there on the 3pt line. Defensively he played some decent defense on Deng for a stretch but thats all.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

when KG plays a ton of minutes he is less effective though, you saw it with tons of shots he was front rimming.

Sure, but one of Doc's main jobs is to get KG ready to play an effective 36 MPG once the playoffs roll around.  He's done a really nice job of this since KG came back from that knee surgery.  I'm certainly not going to second guess his decisions on a game to game basis.  I trust that Doc knows what he's doing here.

He'd probably admit that he let KG's minutes get away from him more than he would have liked in last night's game, but, to me, the big picture is always more important than each individual game.

I think Doc is a great big picture coach, and I think we have a team who really knows how to play with the big picture in mind. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
They look tired. They've been playing a game almost every other day it seems. The all star break should do them good. I wish kg wasn't playing in it.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

He played defense well, so don't know what you're talking about on that regard, and I don't care about the rebounds as our team actually rebounded well, I don't concern myself about who's grabbing the rebounds as long as he had a Celtic's jersey on.

The problem was Pierce and KG, who didn't care to move the ball... the whole game they were taking ill advised shots, in traffic surrounded by 2 or 3 players, while various Celtics players were open. It was very evident to me with Terry on the floor that was getting a bit peeved at not getting any touches particularly when he was constantly open in the corner... until they finally gave it to him and he buried a 3.

That Green hurt us offensively is a very big stretch when he only took 4 shots. He didn't have a good game offensively, but I wouldn't go as far as pointing out that he hurt us in any significant manner, or find the need to single him out as the problem, because it wasn't. He was a non-factor offensively, that's as far as I think is worth pointing out, but I think the major problem was the lack of ball movement once the ball touched either KG's or Pierce's hands more than anything.

Green was +5 for the game, highest for our team, so go figure...

He played defense well against Deng who was playing on a bad hamstring and left the game in the second half and never returned. Jeff Green brings nothing to this team most of the time he is on the court. He is an infuriating basketball player. And, +/- is a dumb stat in general, and really dumb for just one game -- just my opinion.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

He played defense well, so don't know what you're talking about on that regard, and I don't care about the rebounds as our team actually rebounded well, I don't concern myself about who's grabbing the rebounds as long as he had a Celtic's jersey on.

The problem was Pierce and KG, who didn't care to move the ball... the whole game they were taking ill advised shots, in traffic surrounded by 2 or 3 players, while various Celtics players were open. It was very evident to me with Terry on the floor that was getting a bit peeved at not getting any touches particularly when he was constantly open in the corner... until they finally gave it to him and he buried a 3.

That Green hurt us offensively is a very big stretch when he only took 4 shots. He didn't have a good game offensively, but I wouldn't go as far as pointing out that he hurt us in any significant manner, or find the need to single him out as the problem, because it wasn't. He was a non-factor offensively, that's as far as I think is worth pointing out, but I think the major problem was the lack of ball movement once the ball touched either KG's or Pierce's hands more than anything.

Green was +5 for the game, highest for our team, so go figure...

He played defense well against Deng who was playing on a bad hamstring and left the game in the second half and never returned.

Jeff wasn't in the game for much longer anyways, so your point is? Actually he played a some in the 4th too, but nothing of consequence happened regardless. The point anyways is that pointing out Green being a non-factor defensively is a bit absurd. What does a non-factor defensively actually mean anyways? He defended his assignments, prevented players he was defending from scoring for the most part... end of story as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff Green brings nothing to this team most of the time he is on the court. He is an infuriating basketball player. And, +/- is a dumb stat in general, and really dumb for just one game -- just my opinion.

I don't care much for +/- either, but considering that he was singled out along with Pierce and KG as hurting our offense, when he only took 4 shots, I thought it an interesting observation... but nothing in my post was based off that stat... just something thrown at the end as a random factoid. Food for thought.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:44:43 PM by BudweiserCeltic »